2 EX1 + FCP + KONA LH questions - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 28th, 2008, 12:16 AM   #16
Regular Crew

I used an easy setup for the project XDCAM VBR 1080 24P (something like that).

It's not pro rez.

When I would edit with HVX200 footage captured using 24 pn (only 24 p - no pull down), I would set my Kona Card to 720 P 59.97 DVC PRO HD (something like that). The Kona would play that just fine, so I think that Jeremy is right.

The footage was imported with the XDCAM import/FCP tool. I shot it as EX1 1080 24P footage (best quality).

I am not sure what is going on. I'll keep looking over my settings. I opened up a few other projects and they all go out of sync. I did not notice it before because they were just scenic shots. This new footage/project has people talking in it. It's obviously messed up. I am hoping that it's just a Kona thing and that my footage is fine.
Jay Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 02:28 PM   #17
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Morris View Post
I opened up a few other projects and they all go out of sync. I did not notice it before because they were just scenic shots. This new footage/project has people talking in it. It's obviously messed up. I am hoping that it's just a Kona thing and that my footage is fine.
When you said out of sync I assumed you meant VIDEO sync. Are you saying it is AV sync???
Old January 28th, 2008, 05:33 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Oops! I meant lip sync. The audio plays in real time. The video lags behind (looks like slow motion).
Old January 28th, 2008, 06:58 PM   #19
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Oops! I meant lip sync. The audio plays in real time. The video lags behind (looks like slow motion).
I wonder if you are taking the audio from the Mac or from the Kona. It should/must come from the Kona.
Old January 28th, 2008, 10:47 PM   #20
Regular Crew

The audio comes from the Kona.

It's not just out of sync, but the audio is running at real time and the video is behind and playing at a slow speed (kind of like slow motion).

I love this camera, but Final Cut Pro seems to have some issues with it. Besides the audio/video sync issue with the Kona, I often get the dropped frame error often (I think thats what it's called -- when the timeline stops playing) AND the xdcam transfer program makes duplicate browser items of each clip I import. This is very annoying.

Let me know if you guys figure out how to fix any of these problems. It could be user error!

I see a lot of people shoot in 720p with this camera. Is that to avoid these issues?
Old January 29th, 2008, 05:50 AM   #21
HDV Cinema

Quote:
I often get the dropped frame error often (I think thats what it's called -- when the timeline stops playing)
I'll bet your computer and/or disk is simply too slow for 1920x1080 HD. Run the Kona system checker.

And, yes I've seen duplicate clips. Not a big deal.
Old January 29th, 2008, 01:24 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Here's what AJA had to say:

Hi Jason,

XDCAM playback is not supported however is should work.

1) Go to FCP audio video settings and set video playback to AJA Kona
1080i29.97 8-bit.

2) Go to FCP system settings -> playback control and set video quality to
HIGH and frame rate to FULL.

3) If Kona is install in a Mac Pro:
a) Install Kona in slot 3.
b) Go to: /system/library/core services/
i) Run the expansion slot utility
ii) Configure PCIe slots for: 16:1:4:4 (option 2)
iii) reboot.

Let us know if you need additional support.
Best regards
Rudy

I WILL TRY IT OUT SOON AND LET YU KNOW!
Jay Morris is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds