Portable hard drives? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 14th, 2008, 08:02 PM   #1
New Boot

Portable hard drives?

While reading some PR material from Sony on the EX1, I came upon this quote:

"The SxS PRO cards are designed to speed up post-production by improving workflow and import times. Portable hard drives can also be attached to the camcorder."

(here's the link: http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/view/ShowC...veContext=true)

Has anyone attached a portable drive to the EX1?

Thanks,
Alex
Alex Kanakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 03:00 AM   #2
Major Player

There are several threads already about this. Basically you can attach any external recorder for the supported interfaces/output modes.

Some recent developments are the Convergent Design Flash XDR which can capture the HD-SDI 10bit 4:2:2 output to (cheaper) flash cards, and the CineForm HDMI recorder mentioned here.

Firestores and the like are reported to work as well, but are limited to the HDV modes.

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 10:16 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I wonder if it is possible to capture the 25mbps stream to a device like a Firestore, while simultaneously recording to SxS cards at 35mbps (I seriously doubt it).
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 10:18 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright View Post
I wonder if it is possible to capture the 25mbps stream to a device like a Firestore, while simultaneously recording to SxS cards at 35mbps (I seriously doubt it).
No it is not - once set to any HQ mode, the EX1 simply disables i.LINK.

In spite of this limitation, I decided to keep my DR60 drive. The 25Mbps is still of great quality thanks to the imagers and lens of this camera, so should need arise for a long recording I can always use it (I have tested both 1080/50i and 24PsF with pull-down, and both look better than those from the V1). Also, I'm going to always take it with me each time I carry my laptop for in-field HQ stuff off-loading; the material will go the Vaio's internal drive AND the DR60 as a temporary backup (in data mode, of course - it'll spare me buying a separate portable drive).

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; February 15th, 2008 at 11:16 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 10:30 AM   #5
Inner Circle

It's a real shame that the firewire is disabled in HQ mode. Firewire is certainly capable of transmitting data at 35mbps.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 12:53 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright View Post
It's a real shame that the firewire is disabled in HQ mode. Firewire is certainly capable of transmitting data at 35mbps.
Or porting eSATA out directly from the camera.
Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 09:08 AM   #7
Regular Crew

will the Sony EX-1 work with the Cineform Portable Recorder?
Nicky Campos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds