XDCam Transfer v. Clip Browser at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 15th, 2008, 12:13 AM   #1
New Boot

XDCam Transfer v. Clip Browser

I'm a newspaper photographer doing web video and just want to get some feedback on the difference and attributes for Clip Browser and XDCam Transfer.

I'm using XDCam Transfer to view files right off the card inserted into MacBookPro in deadline situations. I import only those clips I need right away then go back and import the rest for archiving once I'm done with the video edit. Everything goes into the same master folder containing FCP render, autosave, source files, etc. We're not really interested in archiving the BVAP files intact. Seems more efficient just to archive .MOV conversions through XDCam Transfer as we don't need multiple backups like a production house might.

From the little I've gleaned, we may be losing some utility by tossing the BVAP folder in that those files conceivably could be converted to a format other than .MOV but we are making web video and using HD primarily for the size of the image in the rare instance we need a frame grab.

So we're not really concerned about any missed opportunities for greater quality in incremental measure as would a filmmaker targeting their production for the big screen.

So, any point to using Clip Browser?
Tom Van Dyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 11:26 AM   #2
Regular Crew

xdcam transfer, macbookpro (intel)

Tom, I recently installed the drivers for xdcam transfer, clip browser and the sxs drivers. I currently do not have the fcp 6, but plan to get it. I installed the transfer 1.01, not the current 2.5.1 (since it opens on import in fcp), so I could at least check out the clips in QT on my laptop. When I put the card into the express slot, it appears on the desktop, then I open xdcam transfer, and it finds the card, but then no media shows up in the clip browser. But, I can play those clips and hear the audio in the xdcam clip browser program and with a VLC player. So what is it that I am not doing correctly for the same media not to show up in xdcam transfer. I have downloaded the sxs driver twice, trashing and re-installing, as well as with the xdcam transfer, using the early version, 1.0.1 or whatever came prior to 2.5.1. thanks for your help...

jerry
Jerry Mennenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #3
New Boot

Buy the updgrade

Jerry--all I can say is I know the feeling. Everything works fine once you upgrade. I've had issues working on a machine without the latest FCP upgrade and I think you're in for nothing but hurt without it. Tom
Tom Van Dyke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds