Ice and Snow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 24th, 2008, 07:37 PM   #1
Major Player

Ice and Snow

I went away last weekend to the North Conway, NH area, and thought it a good place to go around and shoot stuff with my new EX-1. It was really the first time I got a chance to work with it other than a few shoots I had with it the first couple weeks I had it. It was really such a pleasure to work with. I went snowshoeing one day with my wife and parents (and dogs) and took the cam and tripod (on my Kata HB-207 backpack). Great bag for hiking with the stuff!
Anyways here is a small sample of the stuff I shot, that I cut together. I decided to try out the whole Vimeo thing instead of hosting it on my own site. Their quality is quite nice, and no bandwidth hit to me.

Enjoy,
Benjamin

http://www.vimeo.com/723938
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 02:14 AM   #2
Major Player

Very nice colors and composition, finally I see some rich colors from Ex1,
Have you done a lot of Grading, CC?
Thanks for sharing!
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 02:31 AM   #3
Major Player

Very nice images Benjamin!!
You must have been a pain to treck with though. ;-)
Snow is sooo hard to get right and it looks great all the time. Did you use a Cinegamma curve?

/ola
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 05:31 AM   #4
Major Player

I used Bill Raven's TC settings with Cine1. The first day I went out was so sunny and when I came watched the footage on a Sony Bravia at the end of that day, I realized I had underexposed more than I intended, because I was trying to be so cautious not to completely blow out the snow. I graded for levels mostly in Magic Bullet, but the snowshoeing stuff I used some grads and diffusion in MB as well. A little sat boost here and there. Luckily my wife and parents were tolerant when we went hiking and I only "ran" ahead a few times and had them stop while I setup. Until we got to the top I did not take out the tripod though but just stuck the camera on the backpack on the snow which worked pretty well.
Old February 26th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #5
Major Player

Benjamin. Great images. I also am impressed that you kept the detail in the snow. Did you have your Brevis along? How much of that shallow dof was from the EX1?
Old February 26th, 2008, 09:44 PM   #6
Major Player

Hey Bill,
All just the naked Brevis. It would have been a pain to lug the Brevis around snowshoeing. You can get nice DOF with the 1/2" chips though on telephoto shots.
I'll be back in town next week we should hook up.

BE
Old March 12th, 2008, 02:39 PM   #7
New Boot

How was battery time in cold?

Your video was very impressive! Thank you for sharing on line.

I would like to know how was your experience with battery power time in the cold during your day? Do you have multiple batterys and exchange for each other while warming one in coat?

Regards,
Zan Shin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds