Mattebox and filters question. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 17th, 2008, 06:32 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Harrington View Post
I'm beginning to put my HD camera system together and today bought the RedRock mattebox to go on an EX3 that I will buy in July. Next will be a rail system to support the whole system which will use the Letus Ultimate as it's base. Any suggestions on rails?
I hung around with Phillip Bloom in Tokyo recently and had a good look at the Ultimate ~ mighty good adaptor. I will probably have to put out about $20,000 to get this camera system up to par!
Dean, I am about to order the mattebox bundled with flags from them for my EX1...is a rail system required or does it clmp onto the lens?
Thanks, Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 07:20 AM   #17
Major Player

You need ...

a rail system for this if you want to use filters and the swing away arm. One of the features that is so cool on the Red Rock is the swing away arm allows you to change lens very easily. You don't see this type of quality detail at this price point.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 07:44 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Anyone know what the actual ship time is on a redrock matte box?

-Sean
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 08:10 AM   #19
Major Player

shipment timing ...

60 days from purchase, they say. I've still got 30 days or so to go.
Old May 17th, 2008, 08:20 AM   #20
Major Player

additional question Dean

Quote:
a rail system for this if you want to use filters and the swing away arm. One of the features that is so cool on the Red Rock is the swing away arm allows you to change lens very easily. You don't see this type of quality detail at this price point.
Dean, I plan to use the mattebox along with the Sony.8xWA adapter with the built in sunshade removed. Do you feel that the mattebox will attach onto the outer diameter of the WA adapter and hold? Why is it necessary to have the rail system to use filters? Is it due to weight? What is the manner in which the mattebox is attached to the lens without the rail system?
Thanks, Craig
Old May 17th, 2008, 08:49 AM   #21
Major Player

Good question ...

Basically, a donut, foam with holes in which to fit lens, is the connect to the camera. You need the rails to hold the mattebox which is a swing out type. It may be attachable without the filter trays but I'm not sure about that. You might try the carbon fiber rails from eBay made in India. I have a set and while not the best, they work and will run you about $130.00.
Old May 17th, 2008, 09:08 AM   #22
Major Player

Thanks Dean

Quote:
Basically, a donut, foam with holes in which to fit lens, is the connect to the camera. You need the rails to hold the mattebox which is a swing out type. It may be attachable without the filter trays but I'm not sure about that. You might try the carbon fiber rails from eBay made in India. I have a set and while not the best, they work and will run you about $130.00.
I am understanding it better now. Does the matte box have the actual rod attachment bracket built in to it and that slips onto the rods? So if I am correct to understand, I would buy the mattebox and then just get the rod set and camera plate? Also are you happy with the purchase? It appears to be made very well.
Thanks again, Craig
Old May 17th, 2008, 03:24 PM   #23
Major Player

mattebox ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Hollenback View Post
I am understanding it better now. Does the matte box have the actual rod attachment bracket built in to it and that slips onto the rods? So if I am correct to understand, I would buy the mattebox and then just get the rod set and camera plate? Also are you happy with the purchase? It appears to be made very well.
Thanks again, Craig
I'll let you know how I feel when it arrives. Yes, the mattebox has an attachment for the rails. Another matte box you might look into is by hyson and you can find it here. It's a bit lighter and can attach to the cam (sans filters) as you can see here:http://www.hysonfilms.com/gallery.html
Old June 26th, 2008, 05:35 AM   #24
Major Player

follow focus, rails and mattebox for EX1

I know there already was some threads about that here, but I really need to have some, and please, cheap !

I came accros this ebay item : http://cgi.ebay.fr/CINE-follow-focus...dZp1638Q2em122

It look like the old minifocus. How do you think this can behave on a EX1 ?
Is it worth it ?

Then, what cheap mattebox plug in the rails ?
Note that, for now, I do not need DoF adapter.

Thanks.
Old June 26th, 2008, 09:15 AM   #25
Regular Crew

I am no maths man, but GBP to (shrinking) USD, it looks like you could go the Red Rock Micro way and get brand new for not much more than that ebay listing.

RRM also has nice looking mattebox for not that much scrilla. DVi links for this one galore.
Old June 26th, 2008, 09:25 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hollister View Post
I am no maths man, but GBP to (shrinking) USD, it looks like you could go the Red Rock Micro way and get brand new for not much more than that ebay listing.

RRM also has nice looking mattebox for not that much scrilla. DVi links for this one galore.
The ebay kit is around 300€ or 470$. This is way cheaper than the redrock kit, which is around 700/800$ ...
Old July 24th, 2008, 12:21 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Mattebox

Has anyone purchased or tried the Indifocus mattebox?
Old July 25th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Well I guess I will find out I just ordered their indiMATTEboxpro with side flags. The side flags are not on the site but if you call Tim he will add it to the order. Also I ordered their follow focus built for the EX1.
Old July 26th, 2008, 02:13 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Let us know what you think about it once you received it.
I´m interested in it too or the one from Redrock.

regards,
Gerald
Gerald Loidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 01:16 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Gerald I will let you know but it will be a few weeks since I leave for a job out of town this week. I was also interested in Redrock but their setup for the EX1 is still down the pike.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds