Mattebox and filters question. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 29th, 2008, 04:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mattebox and filters question.

Hello, i need a mattebox and basic filters for my EX1. I think about a mattebox from Chrosziel and filters from Schneider Optics.
My questions are:
- Have anyone tesed the EX1 with a Chrosziel mattebox, are there vignetting roblems?

- It's better to use 4x5.65 filter or can i use 4x4 filter, because i hearded when use 4x4 filter, the "wide angle effect" is limited.

Very interessant filter kit from Schneider optics, it can be useful

http://www.schneideroptics.com/Ecomm....aspx?CID=1431
Alessandro Zumstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 04:49 PM   #2
Major Player

4x4s are fine. No problems with my EX1.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 04:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Chrosziel makes a matte box specifically for the EX1. You might want to call a local dealer and see if they can't give you some information.

http://www.abelcine.com/store/produc...ductid=1000449
Kenn Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 04:53 PM   #4
Major Player

My Vocas MB-350 works with the EX1 but I have to load the filters in from the bottom.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 04:31 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Redrock mattebox

Was anybody able to confirm without a doubt that the Redrock mattebox will work well with the EX1? Are there any limitations from the camera mic.
Mike Testin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 06:46 PM   #6
Major Player

It should work - see this post: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?p=171418 . He says that there will be an adapter to allow it to work better with video cameras such as the HVX 200 or EX1. However, looking at FreshDV's video, I don't think that the adapter is even necessary. It seems to just butt up against the front of the lens.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 06:04 AM   #7
Major Player

The matte box is able to swing away from the camera, which makes a lens change very handy, if using a adapter and it does work with the EX1, also the filters get inserted from the side instead of the top. For the price it is a good value.

The Arri matte box was well designed, lighter in weight but not released as a product as of yet, pictured here.
Attached Thumbnails
Mattebox and filters question.-arri-mattebox.jpg  
Old April 23rd, 2008, 01:37 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I'm a bit suspicious about these sideways inserting filters. In a mattebox I find it being essential that you can adjust at least one of the filters vertically, not quite sure how it works with this construction.
Mika Tertsunen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 02:01 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Tertsunen View Post
I'm a bit suspicious about these sideways inserting filters. In a mattebox I find it being essential that you can adjust at least one of the filters vertically, not quite sure how it works with this construction.
I agree although I think the EX-1 design will only allow filters to be inserted sideways due to the end of lens and the placement of the LCD/mic.

That Arri looks nice, although I would guess it'll be like a third the price of the cam, as many Arri products are.

B
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 02:24 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Nice mattebox

It looks like the chrosziel 450 mattebox. Do it fits 4x5.565 filters?
Alessandro Zumstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 07:55 PM   #11
Major Player

seriously nice gear ...

This definitely is well constructed. Worth the price!
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 11:42 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Eckstein View Post

That Arri looks nice, although I would guess it'll be like a third the price of the cam, as many Arri products are.

B
I think it's more like 2/3 the price of the camera - but it is very, very nice. Makes all the others seem flimsy.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 05:09 PM   #13
Major Player

RedRock mattebox ...

I'm beginning to put my HD camera system together and today bought the RedRock mattebox to go on an EX3 that I will buy in July. Next will be a rail system to support the whole system which will use the Letus Ultimate as it's base. Any suggestions on rails?
I hung around with Phillip Bloom in Tokyo recently and had a good look at the Ultimate ~ mighty good adaptor. I will probably have to put out about $20,000 to get this camera system up to par!
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 07:42 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Harrington View Post
I'm beginning to put my HD camera system together and today bought the RedRock mattebox to go on an EX3 that I will buy in July. Next will be a rail system to support the whole system which will use the Letus Ultimate as it's base. Any suggestions on rails?
I hung around with Phillip Bloom in Tokyo recently and had a good look at the Ultimate ~ mighty good adaptor. I will probably have to put out about $20,000 to get this camera system up to par!
I thought these matte boxes came with the rails... I guess I have to check the prices now of those.
Dante Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 04:45 PM   #15
Major Player

No rails ...

Bundles are basic without flags, bundle with flags and bundle for Red.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds