PC Workflow for HD to SD with EX1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 5th, 2008, 04:06 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Sony need to improve their downsize algorithms in Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wright View Post
Two things I've found helpful so far are

1. Select every clip and set Switches/Reduce Interlace flicker.
2. Make sure render is at Best quality

Results are reasonable but not quite perfect, yet, but other suggestions I've read are to add a fraction (maybe .002) of vertical gaussian blur and maybe a touch of median filter.
Regarding point 1, I think that it is a messy work around although it does seem to help.
Regarding point 2, adding effects to the timeline such as median really slow down the render time by a LARGE factor. I have also heard that adding an unsharp mask also helps. The only problem is that these tricks probably have their own side effects and I think it is terrible that we have to run an unsharp mask over HD footage in order to convert to SD!

I think that Sony need to come up with a solution in their next update that will downsize the footage with a greater degree of accuracy. It is possible. The resizing algorithm just needs to be revised. Sony please take note!!!

Maybe I should start a Sony Vegas 8.0c update wishlist in the Sony Vegas thread here!
Keith Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 07:56 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Malone View Post
Regarding point 1, I think that it is a messy work around although it does seem to help.
Yes, as I said, it's not perfect - but what exactly do you mean by messy? It makes a considerable difference, even when viewing the resulting DVD on a CRT screen.

I agree - if Sony can come up with a straightforward way of doing this, I'm all ears.
Peter Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:00 AM   #18

Sony Vegas has so many problems, right now, I doubt they care. VirtualDub has several mathematical approaches to resizing, including Lanczos. It just can't be beat.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:02 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part but what I meant by "messy" is that we shouldn't need to select every clip and reduce interlace flicker. Fine if it works, and I know it does. My point is that it becomes a pain in the rear end having to include this step in our work flow. We are both in agreement that Sony needs to sort this problem out directly at the rendering stage.
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:07 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
Sony Vegas has so many problems, right now, I doubt they care. VirtualDub has several mathematical approaches to resizing, including Lanczos. It just can't be beat.
Hi Bill, how do you output your edited project from Vegas into VirtualDub? Do you use uncompressed AVI? I would like to try your workflow to see how I get on.
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:15 AM   #21

Keith..

First of all, I'm so disgusted with VEGAS, I avoid using it whenever possible, which is almost always. After Vegas v8b, EDIUS is a real joy to use and edit in.

Second, It's very rare for me to go straight from my captured clips to DVD output. Usually, I have cuts, blends, color grading, etc. to do and generate 1 or two intermediate renders before I go to DVD. I routinely use a high quality intermediate for these steps, as well as to go to VirtualDub. Cineform, Canopus HQ, or one of the lossless codecs like Huffy or PicVideo make good intermediates. ALways stay in your full HD resolution until you resize in VirtualDub. Take a lot of care to not go interlaced when you start in progressive. It happens easily. And read the VirtualDub help file to figure out what resize algorithm to use for your scene.
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Bill:
Is there any trial of Edius (Broadcast or Pro) 4.6?
I only see an Edius NEO Trial, but it doesn't support FullHD :(

regards Dennis
Dennis Schmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:35 AM   #23

Unfortunately, no.
I, initially, worked with the trial version of Edius Pro v4.5.
I believe that's all there is, right now.

The default setup is a bit different from Vegas workflow, but, it can be customized to conform to what you're used to.

http://www.canopus.com/products/EDIUSPro/index.php
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:38 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Thx, I'll try it. :)

regards Dennis
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #25
Regular Crew

eehm?
Doesn't Edius support FullHD @25p, too?
There's only 1440x1080 25p or 1920x1080 50i

regards Dennis
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:55 AM   #26

yes, it does....but, unfortunately not in the trial version....stupid, but, thats what they do.
edit: there's no 1920x1080 30/60 progressive. Only HD 24fps progressive. Seems odd they don't have HD 25fps progressive.
I asked customer support about this. They are working on it.
Old March 5th, 2008, 09:11 AM   #27
Regular Crew

HEHE, nice
Realtime Motionblur!

I'm impressed.
Old March 5th, 2008, 09:19 AM   #28

they say all their FX are realtime....it IS nice.
took me a while to figure out that if it doesn't playback realtime, you can hit the "render" command and edius will pre-render the timeline.

Check out the color curves FX. You edit in YUV space, which means you can adjust the Luma values without affecting the color space. YUV is native to input streams from HD cams. No color errors from converting to RGB and back.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds