DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Red problem ! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/117058-red-problem.html)

Piotr Wozniacki March 29th, 2008 09:34 AM

Sami,

While black fabrics do have the tendency to show brownish (just like the blue ones often show magenta), I guess in those particular grabs the main factor is WB being way too warm.

Sami Sanpakkila March 29th, 2008 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 850606)
Sami,

While black fabrics do have the tendency to show brownish (just like the blue ones often show magenta), I guess in those particular grabs the main factor is WB being way too warm.

But my WB was the same in both shots, with and without the Cokin ND. Do you mean I should redo WB after putting the ND on?

Steven Thomas March 29th, 2008 09:48 AM

I would... Yes, I know ideally the concept of the ND filter is not to affect wavelength.

Sami Sanpakkila March 29th, 2008 09:58 AM

yes you're right, if I redo the WB with the ND on it chances the reading by 200-300 kelvins.

So this means there is no way I can use my Cokin grad filter cause the lower half would need different WB.

Is this because the Cokin ND's are quite cheap or would this be the same with any ND with the EX1?

Steven Thomas March 29th, 2008 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sami Sanpakkila (Post 850618)
yes you're right, if I redo the WB with the ND on it chances the reading by 200-300 kelvins.

So this means there is no way I can use my Cokin grad filter cause the lower half would need different WB.

Is this because the Cokin ND's are quite cheap or would this be the same with any ND with the EX1?

Now that's a good question.
I'm not sure who has deep enough pockets to find that one out. ;)

Piotr Wozniacki March 29th, 2008 10:03 AM

I'd say that a 200-300K difference should not be a show stopper, Sami. To my eye, your left grabs are too warm by some 1500K at least. Something else must have happened to your WB settings in this shooting...

Steven Thomas March 29th, 2008 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 850623)
I'd say that a 200-300K difference should not be a show stopper,

Good point. That small would probably not be noticeable.

Sami Sanpakkila March 29th, 2008 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 850623)
I'd say that a 200-300K difference should not be a show stopper, Sami. To my eye, your left grabs are too warm by some 1500K at least. Something else must have happened to your WB settings in this shooting...

I'm testing it now. Without cokin ND Auto WB gives 9100K (Sun is setting here), with Cokin ND Auto WB gives 8800. After setting AWB both look fine. But with 9100K and ND in front of the lens it looks as magenta as the screen crabs I posted. Ill get back to this later, should I start a new thread? I feel like Im overtaking the original one...

Michael H. Stevens March 31st, 2008 02:41 PM

I have this problem bad. I shoot in the desert where the temperature of the desert floor can go to 150F. All my green shrubbery has gone brown and the sand colored desert a redish hue.

Does anyone know what I can do for this? Is there a IR filter for this extreme situation?

Bob Grant March 31st, 2008 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael H. Stevens (Post 851874)
I have this problem bad. I shoot in the desert where the temperature of the desert floor can go to 150F. All my green shrubbery has gone brown and the sand colored desert a redish hue.

Does anyone know what I can do for this? Is there a IR filter for this extreme situation?

We've ordered 3 off 486 filters but B&W must be experiencing heavy demand as they're on back order. Once we get them I can tell you how well they work although others here say they seem to fix the problem nicely. Our plan is to leave them on the camera as well as anything that goes into a MB.
This is a very common problem though. The Redone is having the same problem, I've read of people having it with the DVX100 as well.

Michael H. Stevens March 31st, 2008 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Grant (Post 851913)
We've ordered 3 off 486 filters but B&W must be experiencing heavy demand as they're on back order. Once we get them I can tell you how well they work although others here say they seem to fix the problem nicely. Our plan is to leave them on the camera as well as anything that goes into a MB.
This is a very common problem though. The Redone is having the same problem, I've read of people having it with the DVX100 as well.

Bob:
I just ordered one in size 77mm for about $200 and they said it was in stock. They have the slim-line that will work with the Sony sun shade and with the adapter for my matte box. I'll see if it works. The EX1 needs a protector there anyway and I can sell the 77mm B+W UV I have still new in the box. Anyone want it?

Sean Donnelly April 1st, 2008 02:36 PM

Just found out an interesting piece of information, when the F23 was first released, some cameras experienced black reflective fabrics reading as magenta or sometimes blue. Sound familiar? Turns out, it was a bad batch of IR filters which were replaced, solving the problem. I'm thinking about Sony and trying to initiate the conversation...

-Sean

Michael H. Stevens April 1st, 2008 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Donnelly (Post 852555)
Just found out an interesting piece of information, when the F23 was first released, some cameras experienced black reflective fabrics reading as magenta or sometimes blue. Sound familiar? Turns out, it was a bad batch of IR filters which were replaced, solving the problem. I'm thinking about Sony and trying to initiate the conversation...

-Sean

Yes let's find out. We have a problem here in that we discuss an issue and think it is not a camera problem and spend money doing a home fix when really with a loud shout to Sony they might come clean and cough-up.

Sean Donnelly April 4th, 2008 09:29 PM

I contacted Sony today an officially registered a complaint. They said it was the first they had heard about it but would look into it and get back to me. I referred them to this thread and the fact that the same thing happened with the F23 when it was first released. Perhaps if we all do this they will at least compensate us for the filters we have to buy to make the camera work properly.

-Sean

Leonard Levy April 5th, 2008 03:12 AM

In Adam Wilt's test he saw this on both the F-23 and the Ex-1.

Can I put the 486 over my Ex-1 lens then add a 35mm adapter over it, or do I always want the 486 to be on the front?