MainConcept Plugin / PrPro CS3 / 25min to open file / crashes after 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 18th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

MainConcept Plugin / PrPro CS3 / 25min to open file / crashes after 3

Im using the latest PPro cs3 with the mainconcept plug in.
Dual core 2 (e6600) 2.4Ghz
2gig DDR2
evga 7900 gt
1.2tb raid5 / 150gig (raptor 10k system drive)

and it takes 25minutes to open a project... then crashes anywhere between 3 and 5 minutes.

I guess ill try re-installing everything tonight. Anyone run into this?

Thanks
Nick Schale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 04:34 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Looks like that there is a problem with the mainconcept plugin (until now I'm still testing the demo version). When I try to export out of the timeline the project crashes after rendering about 2-3 minutes of the video. Only short sequences work without any problem. Or has this to do only because it's a demo version? Nick have you a full version?

So my workflow is to export the video as uncompressed avi and then I use the ProCoder3 to chose the format I need.

But I don't have your problem that it takes 25 minutes to open a project!

Actually I'm not sure if I will buy this plugin. Mainconcept is just 5 miles away from my home. Maybe I have to visit them :-)
Swen Goebbels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 05:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

yes i bought it... and honestly it WORKS LIKE A DREAM up till this point.
Old March 18th, 2008, 06:50 PM   #4
Major Player

Nick,
I had this same problem. I went through two software upgrades, and finally had to request a refund. You can get short projects done, but only with a lot of patience.

Vegas 8 has its quirks, but it is entirely stable on my system.

I hope this helps.

Randy
Randy Strome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 12:58 PM   #5
Regular Crew

you had the same problem?
Once a project gets to about 10-11gig of data files it does it.
I am creating a 25-30min video on our rec center.... LOTS of footage... lots of little clips.

Looks like i'll be putting togher a bunch of mini-projects, rendering out about 3-4 min of footage each and then pull those all into a 'final' prm. project.

What a pain.

They responded with 'have you tried re-installing it? If you dont use Mainconcept do you do something else to get premiere working?
Can you shoot me an email? nickschale (@) hotmail.com
wow.
Old April 1st, 2008, 02:18 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Had the same problems with the trialversion.

I'm glad to read i'm not the only one but sorry for the ones who bought it.
With filebased aquisition most people will get even more clips in their bins compared to captured footage.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 02:15 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Tried the Beta, and the problems have just increased crazy.
Blue Screen of death... about 15 times... and I have NEVER seen it on my machine before this (1.5 yrs).

Randy me a PM please. Or email nschale (@) aag.dese.com
Old April 2nd, 2008, 02:43 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Time to get a Mac and Final Cut Pro. It's been rock solid with EX1 on OS 10.4.11 and G5 Mac and it's rock solid on OS 10.5.2 on Intel Mac.

Sony's Mac Transfer Tool has serious issues specifically with Clock (Time of Day) timecode from the EX1 but they've fixed that with the current release 2.5.1
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 10:01 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I wish Mainconcept can fix that problem, because I really would love to buy the full version of this tool. Basicly it works really great and I can edit without any problem on my notebook....
Old April 3rd, 2008, 02:12 PM   #10
Major Player

Interesting stuff,

I downloaded Edius 4.6 and the playback is really impressive. In fact, I had opened Vegas 8, and Edius simultaneously to compare what each was doing with the picture (Edius at stock settings and Vegas in both 32 bit and then 8 bit with each Studio and then Studio to Computer RGB applied). Funny thing: Edius will flawlessly play a 1280 30P original file with Vegas open and playing the same file. On my system, Edius easily outperforms Vegas in terms of playback.
Old April 4th, 2008, 12:33 AM   #11
Regular Crew

The problem is that not everybody likes to change his editing software. I paid lot's on money for the CS3 Production Suite and don't like to replace this now with Vegas or Edius. Therefore I would love to see that Mainconcept plug-in working!
Old April 4th, 2008, 08:43 AM   #12
Inner Circle

I was an Avid editor from nearly its inception. By the time FCP hit version 3, although still not as capable as an Avid Media Composer, Apple was adding features and moving light years faster with improvements.

If you're a shooter who edits your own, you have to make sure your system matches your camera choice. If your an editor who takes on outside work, you have to make sure your system can take on or "scale" to whatever work is handed to you.

Production Suite is a lot more than Premiere. Many people who use other NLEs also use most of the stuff in the Production Suite.

If you need to get work done, waiting an unknown amount of time for compatibility isn't good business. If it's your own projects you'd have to ask yourself how much money is your time worth vs the cost of another NLE (which are relatively inexpensive these days).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swen Goebbels View Post
The problem is that not everybody likes to change his editing software. I paid lot's on money for the CS3 Production Suite and don't like to replace this now with Vegas or Edius. Therefore I would love to see that Mainconcept plug-in working!
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 09:34 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Hi Swen,
I have production Suite as well, and would have loved to use Premiere. It just wouldn't work. As each of the patches failed to fix the problem, it was time to find a solution that allowed finished projects.

Vegas is very stable, and you will get your work done quickly and with excellent results. It is not at all intuitive with the EX1, nor does full quality playback match Edius or FCP, but some easy workarounds make it very functional.
Old April 5th, 2008, 03:50 AM   #14
New Boot

Quote:
Have you tried Cineform Aspect or Prospect ?
Jake Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 12:20 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I would love to see the plug in work aswell.... but for the first time in my life i just WISH i was a mac guy.
/sigh
Nick Schale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds