DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   First XDCAM EX3 Review (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/119205-first-xdcam-ex3-review.html)

Phil Bloom April 14th, 2008 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Strome (Post 859959)
To those of you who have had some sony contact:

Has anything been mentioned about some add on Fujinon for EX lenses? Specifically, any long options? If no, can someone suggest a great long lens for sport or nature use that is a reasonable match for the quality of this cam?

I am very satisfied with my EX1 and although I can appreciate the value in features like better shoulder ergonomics, genlock, timecode, remote, a better EVF, those are features that I will never use, and would prefer not to have.

BUT, I would love interchangeable lens capability, and adjustable frame rate on body. In truth, I would have greatly prefered an "EX-0", the EX-1, stripped of integrated mic, offered with interchangeable lens setup, and with the 50 cent port covers replaced with bomber weather resistant covers.

There will be a wide angle Fujinon EX specific lens I think but I have heard nothing about a longer lens. Just get a good quality second hand 20x 1/2" SD lens with extender and that will do the trick. Some of them are barely any different to the HD lenses.

Dennis Joseph April 14th, 2008 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Bloom (Post 860030)
You will be able to update yourself through the USB connection of your computer. There were a couple of things they needed to work on so I think it has been delayed about 3 months.

Sounds good Phil. Now if you can get them to possibly throw in image flip capabilities on the LCD, frame rate dial, and 4-2-2 with the new firmware update, that would be just excellent.

I think I speak for everyone when I say "i'm not asking for much am I?" :)

Phil Bloom April 14th, 2008 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendan Pyatt (Post 859894)
I was looking at:

Canon KH20x6.4 KRS - 128mm at the long end and Canon do a 1.5 extender for it.

anyone have any comments on this lens?

Brendan, Simon is being V harsh. I have that lens and it is actually pretty nice. Overpriced though. Sure it's not as good as the ones with built in extenders which cost double but I have shot some cracking stuff with it. Look at my Newquay Sunset, Life of Crime, Buddhist pieces on my site. All done with that lens.

Phil Bloom April 14th, 2008 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kahn (Post 859765)
Why is it even one penny (or pence) more than the ex1?

It has a shoulder mount and now you can remove the fujinon lens that was once permanently affixed. Am I missing some other monumental changes to the EX3?

I do NOT think this camera will be embraced by indie filmmakers. To really do this Sony would have to launch a cam with a full sized CMOS chip (35mm) at a price point under 10k. (and this should be very doable considering the new 35mmCMOS chips being produced for DSLRs) Otherwise there are just too many other better options at the moment. The EX3 will NOT capture their attention any more than a slew of other cameras.

You make it the same price and can you imagine how many pissed off people there will be? Why is the Canon H1 more than the A1? Loads of new connections, removable lens, redesigned viewfinder. It's the bigger, more expensive model in the EX line. Simple as that.

Phil Bloom April 14th, 2008 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Joseph (Post 860032)
Sounds good Phil. Now if you can get them to possibly throw in image flip capabilities on the LCD, frame rate dial, and 4-2-2 with the new firmware update, that would be just excellent.

I think I speak for everyone when I say "i'm not asking for much am I?" :)

all of those are on the list i am reliably told. Also you can shoot 4K if need be and record in DVCPRO HD. Cool huh?

Simon Wyndham April 14th, 2008 10:33 AM

Quote:

The Vegas Dancer was very understanding when i told her than I need to quickly replied to a couple of posts. I am dedicated to you guys. I explained to her about the review and the EX3. She asked if it was still 4:2:0 and if they had fixed the rolling shutter. Sheesh!!
Phil, you know that your EX1 looks silly with a blonde wig and lipstick put on it. I've told you before to stop doing that. ;-)

Simon Wyndham April 14th, 2008 10:36 AM

Quote:

Simon is being V harsh
Maybe they improved it. The one I used last was distortion city with more CA than a cartoon drawn with a purple marker.

Randy Strome April 14th, 2008 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Bloom (Post 860037)
all of those are on the list i am reliably told. Also you can shoot 4K if need be and record in DVCPRO HD. Cool huh?

4:2:2 to what media? Sorry, I must have missed something.

Steve Connor April 14th, 2008 10:37 AM

OK RED have just announced what Scarlet is, that'll put the cat amongst the pigeons

Phil Bloom April 14th, 2008 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham (Post 860053)
Phil, you know that your EX1 looks silly with a blonde wig and lipstick put on it. I've told you before to stop doing that. ;-)

Sometimes I get lonely...

Phil Bloom April 14th, 2008 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Strome (Post 860062)
4:2:2 to what media? Sorry, I must have missed something.

4:2:2 to SxS, it will also now record in VHS for ultimate compatibility

Randy Strome April 14th, 2008 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Bloom (Post 860066)
4:2:2 to SxS, it will also now record in VHS for ultimate compatibility

Oh, my!

Once EX3 fervor dies down a bit, I think there will be a group of EX 1 owners looking very fondly at this little gem, and realizing what an exceptional value they have been allowed.

Thanks Phil!

Simon Wyndham April 14th, 2008 10:44 AM

Phil, that's an error. The Sony reps told me that it was U-Matic, not VHS.

Steve Connor April 14th, 2008 10:46 AM

you're both wrong it's Betamax

Phil Bloom April 14th, 2008 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham (Post 860076)
Phil, that's an error. The Sony reps told me that it was U-Matic, not VHS.

they were pulling your leg Simon! it's VHS and one secret i heard is you can mount a film magazine on the hot shoe and record 35mm straight out of the HD-SDI. Cool huh, that's Cinealta for you!