DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   First XDCAM EX3 Review (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/119205-first-xdcam-ex3-review.html)

Dennis Joseph April 14th, 2008 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oyvind Stokkan (Post 860375)
And a different matter:

I will never give up on having Sony cameras, but the RED Scarlet seems amazing for it's price. Shooting 3K with a camera for 3000$ is really amazing..

Would love to try the Scarlet with the Letus in the woods :)

I laugh at the 3k price tag that I am hearing for the scarlet as much as I laugh when I hear the Red One is only 17k.

try building it to a proper usable camera and that 3k becomes10k. The Red one becomes 40k EASILY.

Not to say they dont produce a gorgeous image. I'm just not too fond of their marketing where they break it down like it's a subway sandwhich.

Steve Kahn April 14th, 2008 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Alexander (Post 860380)
Plus i have a set way of looking at things when it concerns video which is; if 2 cameras can produce an end result that is similar in quality then I am quite happy with either one, because thats all an audience/client is concerned with, as am I.

Couldn't agree with you more.

I really like the EX1 - great looking image and of course there are those workarounds but all in all it's the end product that matters and nobody (except us) will care what cam, what editing system or what lens you used. In fact most people wont even (consciously) even notice the dof we labored to obtain.

Felix Sorger April 14th, 2008 04:34 PM

I have to say that I was quiet worried as well when I heard that the EX3 will come out already now (but in the end available in summer), especially because I got my EX1 only last week.

I read all the different articles that exist so far (thanks to you guys) and posts in this forum and am normally very concerned on "upgrades" that might be interesting for me:
To have a significant better camera which produces even better images, which has even better low-light qualities or a different, better codec, different frame rates or whatever. Which is even more sexy with a blond wig on it.
But this is not the case. I just ordered a cheap but good (according to Philip Bloom) shoulder-mount and interchangeable lenses are not a big deal for my purposes. TC and other studio features are not important for me either. The new VF seems to be nice but the LCD on the EX1 is terrific, too. Just ordered a hood for it for shooting in very bright sunlight.

The only thing I am a bit jealous at is the frame rate wheel, which is actually really useful but am still hoping that it will be possible to assign buttons on a future firmware update for the EX1, I really hope that Sony will do so, maybe as well to calm down some unhappy EX1 users.

So the EX3 is nice and seems to be more ergonomic, but to have spent approx. 2000 € less for the cam and being able to work with the EX1 NOW which produces exactly the same images makes it not too hard for me to have another EX-family member in the lineup.

Steve Cahill April 14th, 2008 06:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Spotted Philip Bloom on the strip last night. Click to enlarge.

Phil Bloom April 14th, 2008 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kahn (Post 860267)
Yes but the H1 came out BEFORE the A1. That is the difference.

Anyway this issue is moot. Phil you shoot pretty pictures and I have to compliment you on that however your shoot "3 Days in April" was more a featurette on the Letus "Ultimo" rather than the EX3 "exploitico"

It is funny that you wouldn't do your first shoot with just the bare-bones camera to see what the EX3 could do BEFORE slapping on a dof adapter.

Sorry Sony, the fun and action is over here... http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=119372

(again, the EX1 - EX3 is a good cam at many things but not great at any one thing. That, unfortunately is not good enough. In the very near future it will just be simpler, and cheaper, to get a cam dedicated to broadcast work and then another cam dedicated to indie film work if you work in both realms as many do)

If i had the 1/2" lens adaptor I would not have used the Letus Extreme. I would have showed what difference a long lens makes, but i didnt so i saw no point in just using the stock lens as it's identical to the EX1 so I shot with my Extreme which I use all the time

Phil Bloom April 14th, 2008 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Cahill (Post 860538)
Spotted Philip Bloom on the strip last night. Click to enlarge.

I perform nightly and am booked up till August 2008

Steven Thomas April 14th, 2008 07:28 PM

LOL!
Dang Phil, you're a star man!

Benjamin Eckstein April 14th, 2008 07:41 PM

Phil are you doing the show with Cher? My wife and I are going to Vegas in May so we'll get tix for sure.

Chris Hurd April 14th, 2008 07:43 PM

Sorry, that show is sold out. You gotta book months in advance.

Phil Bloom April 14th, 2008 07:46 PM

No we fell out. I said she she was older than my gran so we parted ways. I am now performing with Elton John. I am his wig.

Chris Hurd April 14th, 2008 07:53 PM

Now that's what I call a match made in heaven.

Check yer email Phil!

Phil Bloom April 14th, 2008 08:24 PM

talking about prices, it's amazing that the UK price is actually around the same if not cheaper than the US price. The EX1 was WAY cheaper in the states than in the UK

Steve Cahill April 14th, 2008 08:54 PM

I just looked out my hotel window, it seems like its "Sold Out" Looks like Kew Gardens is now playing @ Caesars Palace! Check out the pic again

Mathieu Ghekiere April 15th, 2008 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Bloom (Post 860591)
talking about prices, it's amazing that the UK price is actually around the same if not cheaper than the US price. The EX1 was WAY cheaper in the states than in the UK

And the EX1 is even way cheaper in the UK then in The Netherlands/Belgium!
It's just 6500 euros here! Glad we'll buy it in the UK for 4800 euros (calculated from pounds).

Michael Mann April 15th, 2008 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Bloom (Post 860591)

That is finally good news for us Europeans.