DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   First XDCAM EX3 Review (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/119205-first-xdcam-ex3-review.html)

Fernando Hermoso April 15th, 2008 06:23 AM

Ex3

I received my EX-1 last week and I paid 5,825 € in Spain.

Incidentally, the version of the firmware is 1.05_0405 and has no problem backfocus
Or vignetted.

Greetings.

Thomas Smet April 15th, 2008 09:11 AM

Guys I think that U.S price of $13,000.00 is wrong.

I actually think it is going to be around $9,000.00. This is based on the ratio of what the Ex1 costs in the US and the UK. I used this difference ratio to calculate the price of the EX3. I don't know if this is right or not but I think they may have made the usual mistake of just using the conversion rate which never works for cameras. It makes sense that the same pricing ratio would apply across the board for all the SONY gear. Clearly this camera is to compete with the Canon XL-H1

Theodore McNeil April 15th, 2008 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Smet (Post 860856)
Guys I think that U.S price of $13,000.00 is wrong... I actually think it is going to be around $9,000.00... Clearly this camera is to compete with the Canon XL-H1

I was just about to type this... I've worked in the US and the real world :) and the cameras and extras are almost always cheaper in the US. I'm always getting request from friends back in OZ to price or send various accessories and so forth...

Craig Seeman April 15th, 2008 10:58 AM

Keep in mind Sony will announce a list price that will likely be much higher than the eventual street price. I wonder how a USA event has pegged price for Europe but not USA. It makes no sense that Sony would do that. Is someone getting these numbers wrong, just conjecturing, entirely missed USA pricing?

The one bit that I can guess at is that the street price of the EX1 dropped to about 20% below Sony's list in the USA. Something like $6449 vs $7899 list.

How and where is Sony claiming a Europe price but not a USA price? Is there a Sony press release on that or an eye witness that Sony gave a EU only price at a Las Vegas USA event?

I've seen some posts that say an "unofficial" just under $13,000 USA. That would mean about $10,500 USA street.

Theodore McNeil April 15th, 2008 11:45 AM

The Sony press release I got said...

"The new XDCAM EX products are expected to be available in the third quarter of 2008. Pricing is as follows.

* PMW-EX3 – suggested list price less than $13,000
* PMW-EX30 – suggested list price less than $6,000
* PHU-60K – pricing to be announced"

That's where that $13,000 figure is coming from.

Now when the Ex-1 was announced, Sony said it would be "Less than" $8,000. As Craig pointed out, it's $6449 now. So take from that what you will.

Craig Seeman April 15th, 2008 11:46 AM

I just saw a press release and it indeed says the Sony PMW-EX3 will list for less than $13,000 which probably means about $10,500 street should be close.

Theodore must have spotted the release the same time I did.

Theodore McNeil April 15th, 2008 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 860940)
Theodore must have spotted the release the same time I did.

Great minds think alike. :)

Mike Thomann April 15th, 2008 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Cahill (Post 860538)
Spotted Philip Bloom on the strip last night. Click to enlarge.

That's strange Steve, cause when saw that sign it looked like this...
http://thomann.net/hv20/Philip_Vegas

Phil Bloom April 15th, 2008 06:09 PM

that's fake! She is a brunette!!!

Mike Thomann April 15th, 2008 06:16 PM

Actually it's the first glimpse of the new EX5. The cat's out of the bag.

Phil Bloom April 15th, 2008 06:20 PM

no the ex5 is a blonde

Mark OConnell April 15th, 2008 10:30 PM

Evf

One thing that really caught my eye on the EX3 was the flip-up viewfinder. Seems like that could work for the EX1 as well. Has anyone heard of any plans to make that available as an accessory for the EX1?

Leonard Levy April 15th, 2008 11:58 PM

I stopped off at hoodman and suggested they would make a killing if they just made a slip on variant for the Sony EX3 eyepiece to use with the Ex-1. They're going to check it out. Expect it in Summer is my prediction - I'll autograph the first 50.

Lenny Levy

Phil Bloom April 16th, 2008 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark OConnell (Post 861357)
One thing that really caught my eye on the EX3 was the flip-up viewfinder. Seems like that could work for the EX1 as well. Has anyone heard of any plans to make that available as an accessory for the EX1?

i just don't think the ex1 lcd is sturdy enough, and I know the ex3 one has a special coating to make it work better with the viewfinder

Mark OConnell April 16th, 2008 07:53 PM

I think it could work if it incorporated a support between the lcd and someplace on the handle, or maybe the vertical piece that connects the handle to the body. A second connecting point would make the lcd rigid.

An autographed one sounds good to me Leonard-