First XDCAM EX3 Review - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 13th, 2008, 04:00 AM   #61
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
Could somebody ( other than Philip who's sworn to secrecy) who saw the accidental sneak preview description of the EX-3 tell us what was in it. The article is gone for now.
I read the article. Thought I was dreaming. Out of respect for Phil though I'll wait till he breaks the news. I suck at Nigels article was not an actual hands on review. Just a copy and paste of the facts that will be made public in hours anyway.

Phil should have an actual hands on review up Sunday Night....which will be Monday afternoon my (Tokyo) time. Damn, why ain't the world flat.
Alexander Kubalsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 04:09 AM   #62
Major Player

I have the whole article including all the pictures, but am not going to post it because I do not want any trouble with Sony.

But this is what I still can find on another website.

The PHU-60K is an SxS Professional 60GB HardDisc Recorder.

It can be used either by recording directly from an SxS lead to the card slot or transfer from an SxS card when inserted in the other card slot.

Announcement of 32 GB SxS cards (2 hours @35Mb/s). Available in september.

For the rest you'll have to wait.
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 04:32 AM   #63
Regular Crew

Excellent review Philip! I love your demonstration video where you are showing all the new features. (I was amazed that it is already online - I hope thats not by accident...)
I should have returned my EX1 when I still had the chance to do so, with all the backfocus issues. Sony will have lots of unhappy EX1 owners now...
The new EX3 looks like a killer camera! It has everything I miss on the EX1.

Thanks Philip for sharing this review.

regards,
Gerald
Gerald Loidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 04:53 AM   #64
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Loidl View Post
I should have returned my EX1 when I still had the chance to do it with all the backfocus issues. Sony will have lots of unhappy EX1 owners now...
The new EX3 looks like a killer camera! It has everything I miss on the EX1.
Lots of people are saying that but is it likely to be a replacement or a higher-end model? I know for me, the EX1 was as much as I could afford (and then some) so if the EX3 is going to cost much more than the EX1 it would probably have been out of my league anyway. I know the EX1 has had some manufacturing troubles, but the footage is incredible - I for one have no disappointment with it.

If it turns out the EX3 is better and only $500 more expensive then I'll be a bit frustrated though!
Old April 13th, 2008, 05:00 AM   #65
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hewat View Post
Lots of people are saying that but is it likely to be a replacement or a higher-end model? I know for me, the EX1 was as much as I could afford (and then some) so if the EX3 is going to cost much more than the EX1 it would probably have been out of my league anyway. I know the EX1 has had some manufacturing troubles, but the footage is incredible - I for one have no disappointment with it.

If it turns out the EX3 is better and only $500 more expensive then I'll be a bit frustrated though!
The EX3 will be something like $11,500, so yeah, It would have been out of my league too.
I have no regrets on buying the EX1 either. The EX3 looks like something to graduate into later on.
Alexander Kubalsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 05:02 AM   #66
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Kubalsky View Post
The EX3 will be $11,500, so yeah, It would have been out of my league too.
Which would be about $12,500 - $13,000 in Australia. Waaaay to much for me!
Old April 13th, 2008, 05:05 AM   #67
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hewat View Post
Only $500 more expensiver? Trust me, it will be more then that.
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 05:18 AM   #68
Trustee

it will be more than that
Old April 13th, 2008, 05:50 AM   #69
Major Player

The EX-1 was to my mind the first really viable pro camera within reach and was ready to take (for me anyway) A huge step and purchase a camera that cost almost the price of a small car. And through Phil Blooms posts discovered the amazing Letus adapter. Making it affordable now to create films. So borrowed over three years £7000

NOW. We have the EX-3 which is even more suited to this purpose than the EX-1. It should have been released the other way round giving people a choice. Many will now sell their EX-1s and buy the EX-3. Very good marketing for Sony whether accidental or not.

I think it would be really nice if Sony was to give some kind of trade in deal perhaps on a time limit for those who bought the EX-1 but would rather have purchased the EX-3. It wouldnt be many and would do wonders for customer relations in my opinion.
Mark David Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 06:38 AM   #70
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark David Williams View Post
I think it would be really nice if Sony was to give some kind of trade in deal perhaps on a time limit for those who bought the EX-1 but would rather have purchased the EX-3. It wouldnt be many and would do wonders for customer relations in my opinion.
I suppose. I keep thinking to myself "What more could you want from a camera?" and Phil's site is perhaps the best evidence of that - his footage amazes me every time. But I guess I can see that many customers would wish they had the choice...
Old April 13th, 2008, 06:44 AM   #71
Major Player

Nigels article online again

For those who missed it the first time around: New Sony Solid-State HD Products at NAB 2008 @ dvuser.co.uk.

I suppose the Sony embargo has been lifted ;)

So what I like about it so far (and not having seen/handled the real thing) in order of my preference:
- Done away with the viewfinder
- Better ergonomics (most controls on the left)
- Interchangable lens
- Frame rate control dial
- Flip switch on the LCD
- LCD controls are manual dials
- Timecode in/out
- All bnc's on the back, easy to manage
- Mic mount seems sturdier
- Cover over te audio levels

Also with what I presume to be the same sensor block and standard lens, it will be an exact match to the EX1. Just with some more options.

And how about that 2nd cold shoe at the back with the cable clasp on the handle that seems to be purpose build to take the PHU-60K SxS Professional 60GB HardDisc Recorder ;)

George/

P.S. Looking forward to Phil Blooms hands on review!

Last edited by George Kroonder; April 13th, 2008 at 12:29 PM.
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 07:30 AM   #72
Major Player

Does the Letus Ultimate bypass the lens on the EX3 then? I would get interested in that setup if it was true.

Also putting some fast lenses on there would help DOF, the half inch sensor isn't *that* much smaller than a 2/3rds.

f1.2 or T1.3 lenses could make a practical visual difference (T1.4 on 2/3rds same as T1.2 on half)

Very interesting though...

cheers
paul
Paul Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 07:31 AM   #73
Trustee

Phil's review is Great!
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 07:44 AM   #74
Regular Crew

Can you point us to Phils review of the EX3?
or is it not up yet?
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 07:47 AM   #75
Regular Crew

Phil Bloom,

Not sure how long you will be in Vegas, but it would be a shame if you can't take a day to check out the Grand Canyon while here.....

I promise you will thank yourself if you take one of the heliicoptor rides out
to the canyon... might not be cheap, but it will be a memory you will never
forget :-)
Ray Bell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds