DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Just trawling Sonys site and I found this... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/119342-just-trawling-sonys-site-i-found.html)

Simon Wyndham April 14th, 2008 04:37 AM

Just trawling Sonys site and I found this...

...press release dated 29th Feb 2008!
http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/view/ShowC...=BC+News+XDCAM

Hmmm.

Bruce Rawlings April 14th, 2008 05:03 AM

So really Sony broke their own embargo .. but we were all asleep!

Piotr Wozniacki April 14th, 2008 05:06 AM

Mixed feelings I have...

Anyway, if we could say we've been Beta-testers, that wouldn't sound bad (even though we did it for free; free for Sony that is). Unfortunately, with Sony pretending they weren't admitting our reports on the EX1 inherent flaws or wishes for improvements, I can't consider myself a proud Beta-tester; just a guinea-pig.

Why? well, here it goes:

Scenario 1: the EX3 continues the saga of bad BF, vignetting, ND filter sticking, IR colours inaccuracy, paint peeling off... No, forget it - impossible!

Scenario 2: all of the above has been rectified in the EX3... I believe all of us deserve an offer from Sony to replace our EX1's with the EX3, free o charge. Or at least for the nominal price difference.

Piotr Wozniacki April 14th, 2008 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Rawlings (Post 859832)
So really Sony broke their own embargo .. but we were all asleep!

No, we were not. This is back-dated; never actually accessible before the NAB announcement.

Grigory Volovich April 14th, 2008 05:26 AM

New XDCAM EX booklet

New XDCAM EX booklet

http://www.sony.co.uk/res/attachment...7064694533.pdf

George Kroonder April 14th, 2008 05:39 AM

Saw that this morning too, when looking for press releases from yesterday via the search option...

And for us away from NAB, PVC has the first Sony booth pictures by Adam Wilt.

George/

Mark Hartopp April 14th, 2008 05:51 AM

That's just what I need. - I was thinking of getting the EX1 for my next project, but noticed a price drop on CVP a week ago. Which was odd for such a good camera. But with NAB just the round the corner, it got me thinking about an upgrade may due. wasn't expecting a whole new camera.

Mark Hartopp April 14th, 2008 05:58 AM

Just been to CVP and it's there

http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/publi...r=sony_pmw-ex3

Expected 1st of July and a hint at UK pricing..

George Kroonder April 14th, 2008 06:05 AM

Offical Sony NAB 2008 Press Kit

The Offical Sony NAB 2008 Press Kit is located here, although some links don't work (yet?).

George/

George Kroonder April 14th, 2008 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Hartopp (Post 859849)

Nice, at the same discount from LIST as the EX1, that would be just over €6000 (ex tax). I do expect it to start selling for a little more initally though.

George/

Mark Hartopp April 14th, 2008 06:12 AM

There is now a video sequence presented by Philip Bloom.

http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/publi...r=sony_pmw-ex3

George Kroonder April 14th, 2008 06:25 AM

I believe this is the first part of his review video, available here.

George/

Dave Elston April 14th, 2008 06:36 AM

Alister Chapman's review now up on the Sony UK site...

http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/view/ShowC...veContext=true

It's time to think through the options (been holding off the EX1 since day one because the 'step-up' from a Z1 has just not quite seemed worth it IMO).

Now I'll wait for the EX3 release and will either go for a proper 'step-up' or pick up a new or used EX1 at a decent price (slight price drop on the cards too?).

Of course, there is RED's 'Scarlet' to make things more complicated. For now atleast, I'll try to think of too much choice as a good thing, but I'm sure things will become even more 'interesting' towards July as Panasonic/JVC/Canon announce their respective 'counter-punches'.

Alister Chapman April 14th, 2008 06:42 AM

There is also my review:

http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/view/ShowC...veContext=true

They didn't break the embargo. The Press launch was yesterday.

Peter Wiley April 14th, 2008 07:48 AM

I had to chuckle at this line Sony press release:

"The PMW-EX3 semi-shoulder camcorder . . ."

Loosely translated do you suppose this means "We have no idea how to hand hold this thing, but good luck . . ."

Or perhaps the target users are semi-shouldered camera operators.

Simon Wyndham April 14th, 2008 08:01 AM

What happened to our gurus' "About the Sony XDCAM EX Introduction DVD", as announced long time ago here:

It changed into something different and became an official Sony Europe promotional DVD, which is more of a run down and examples of the camera features than a tutorial. There simply wasn't enough guaranteed interest to make a third party tutorial DVD worthwhile, especially when Doug Jensen and VASST were also working on DVD's.

Alister Chapman April 14th, 2008 08:15 AM

I have nothing to do with the EX intro DVD. That's really Nigel's baby. He has had some serious health problems which has led to it's delay. Phil's, Nigel's and my reviews of the EX3 are all completely independent, that should be a good thing as we have no idea what the other likes or dislikes and our views are not biased by the others. Isn't that the beauty of a forum such as this?

As for semi-shoulder what else would you call it? It isn't an on-the-shoulder camera like the F350 or HPX500. It's not a hand-held camera like the EX1 but somewhere between the two. I loved it, because it's so much lighter than my F350 even though only a small proportion of the weight is transferred to your shoulder I found it less fatiguing to hold steady for long periods. Now if you put a bigger heavier lens such as my KH20 or even a 2/3" HD lens that may well tip the balance and make it too front heavy to hold without moving the battery further back with some kind of extension.

The new viewfinder arrangement won't win any awards for looks but it was almost as good as some of the colour VF's available for the HDCAM cameras.

Simon Wyndham April 14th, 2008 08:26 AM

I have the ultimate solution to camera balance and fatique problems that people keep going on about. In my neck of the woods we call it a tripod. ;-)

Alister Chapman April 14th, 2008 08:38 AM

Completely agree Simon, when I'm storm chasing however there often just isn't time to get a tripod out. Actually it's more of a case that with a tornado bearing down on you, you don't want to have to waste time packing a tripod away before you can run away!!

Steve Connor April 14th, 2008 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 859834)
I can't consider myself a proud Beta-tester; just a guinea-pig.

Well I have to say if you expect the first run of a first generation camera to be completely fault free then I think you may not have considered your buying decision carefully enough.

Bob Grant April 14th, 2008 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 859834)
Scenario 1: the EX3 continues the saga of bad BF, vignetting, ND filter sticking, IR colours inaccuracy, paint peeling off...

Scenario 1 is the correct one. Why would you think otherwise, certain 'features' we've already come to live with have already been mentioned in reviews of the EX3.

Mark David Williams April 14th, 2008 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Connor (Post 859957)
Well I have to say if you expect the first run of a first generation camera to be completely fault free then I think you may not have considered your buying decision carefully enough.

I think the point is the EX-1 came out just before Xmas although most people were left waiting until january. By february, Sony already had a newer better model prepared. BUT kept secret. The speed this happened makes you question Sonys marketing which has released the lessor camera first. Pulling in those indie makers with low budgets to buy it. Then waited until most have bought into it before declaring the better version with tools the indie filmmaker has cried out for for years. IE interchangeable lenses. Leaving those people wanting people to buy the later version all over again. And leaving those who cant feeling resentful and let down.

Piotr has obviously devoted so much enthusiasm on his camera and explored every part of it only to find Sony had a better version that he would have bought if he had known about it. And guess what Same here too. Although I am happy with My camera I would have chosen the EX-3 when I had the money in my pocket.
Yes we know products improve we know things move on Thats business But now are we talking product replacement within months? Not a replacement you may say? WELL why then wasnt we all informed WHY the big secret?

Some may say thats business. I say Business cant survive without customers and you peeve them off enough and your likely to find you have none.

Steve Connor April 14th, 2008 09:26 AM

It's not a replacement and Sony made it very clear the EX series was a range not just one camera.

Would you rather they had waited to release the EX3? No manufacturers telegraph their camera releases in advance especially in an area where the competition is so aggressive.

Now you have a better choice, you can stick with the camera you have or you can sell it and trade up to the EX3, hopefully in the intervening period you've earned enough revenue from the camera to justify the loss you'll take when selling it.

As for the other arguments about pricing, well can you imagine just how annoyed EX1 owners would be if Sony had released this camera at a couple of hundred dollars above the EX1?

Craig Seeman April 14th, 2008 09:28 AM

I clearly remember Sony saying that the EX was going to be a SERIES of cameras. What was unclear was how FAST that series was to develop. It makes sense that it's fast given SxS has to compete with P2.

The EX3 is not a replacement, it's a next model up. I would expect there will be an EX5 in short order . . . full shoulder mount, more than 2 SxS slots, maybe 2/3" and/or MPEG2 4:2:2. I wouldn't be surprised if this happens and is either announced or shipping by NAB 2009.

I understand the dilemma people faced who really wanted and were willing to pay for interchangeable lenses though.

I also understand that people who bought early have spent a good deal of time sending the camera back and forth to Sony and now feel they finally have a working camera and then the EX3 is announced (for July which is more likely August in any meaningful way).

I wonder how F330/5 owners (recent purchasers) feel. Heck I wouldn't even be surprised if a few F350/5 owners feel encroached upon.

I think I'd have a reason to be unhappy if Sony came out with an EX1A with the all the fixes we beta tested for but that's not what happened.

ADDENDUM: My gosh Steve. We were thinking about the same thing at about the same time!

Steve Connor April 14th, 2008 09:30 AM

Great minds think alike Craig :)

Simon Wyndham April 14th, 2008 09:33 AM

Quote:

Then waited until most have bought into it before declaring the better version with tools the indie filmmaker has cried out for for years. IE interchangeable lenses.
Madness. If they HAD to have interchangable lenses they should wait, or have bought a Canon XLH1. And I don't want to hear anything about lack of true progressive scan etc etc on that camera. People have been making amazing things with it, and it produces a really good picture. Its the chump behind the camera that makes the magic, not the camera itself, and don't forget it.

I don't own an HD camera because I'm waiting until the camera with the spec I need comes out. At the moment that looks like the PDW-700, but I'm also going to make a bet that there will be a sister camera to that model. ALL XDCAM full size cameras so far have come out in twos. I don't care what the Sony reps currently say! :-)

Unless there is absolute pressing business, you don't HAVE to buy a camera immediately, and nobody HAD to buy the EX1. They should know what Sony are like for camera releases. The EX3 was entirely predictable too. The EX1 was always a first in the EX series. Note that word 'series'. What other camera could they release after the EX1 given that the EX line is semi-pro to pro?

I couldn't be a palmcorder, or a competitor to the Z7, so it would have to be a model higher up. And the only real thing they could do is make it an interchangeable lens model. Like I say, entirely predictable for people who have patience.

Mark David Williams April 14th, 2008 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Connor (Post 859986)
It's not a replacement and Sony made it very clear the EX series was a range not just one camera.

Would you rather they had waited to release the EX3? No manufacturers telegraph their camera releases in advance especially in an area where the competition is so aggressive.

Now you have a better choice, you can stick with the camera you have or you can sell it and trade up to the EX3, hopefully in the intervening period you've earned enough revenue from the camera to justify the loss you'll take when selling it.

As for the other arguments about pricing, well can you imagine just how annoyed EX1 owners would be if Sony had released this camera at a couple of hundred dollars above the EX1?

Thats your opinion Steve and I dont buy it. As far as Im concerned it was about Money and probably fear from the Red camera too that got these cameras released you can vouch for them if you want as far as Im concerned I love the camera and am happy But the way its been done has for me left a bad taste in the mouth.

Simon Wyndham April 14th, 2008 09:42 AM

Quote:

The EX3 is not a replacement, it's a next model up.
Absolutely spot on Craig.

Quote:

Heck I wouldn't even be surprised if a few F350/5 owners feel encroached upon.
I doubt it in many respects. I wouldn't because I prefer the disc workflow to the SxS one. Although the writable U1 with the new data format mode would change that. Even still working straight from disc eliminates a post stage to have to back up to the U1.

Besides, my prediction now is that either by IBC, or NAB next year the successor or another update to the 300 series will be announced. In fact I'd bet my life on it. And once again I don't care what the guys at Sony currently say. :-) The 300 series has to stay ahead of the EX series, especially in light of the U1 developments. With the EX3 able to take the same lenses as the shoulder mount cameras the picture quality will be the same, actually better IMO.

Steve Connor April 14th, 2008 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark David Williams (Post 859996)
T as far as Im concerned I love the camera and am happy

Then what's the problem?

Craig Seeman April 14th, 2008 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham (Post 860004)
I doubt it in many respects. I wouldn't because I prefer the disc workflow to the SxS one. Although the writable U1 with the new data format mode would change that. Even still working straight from disc eliminates a post stage to have to back up to the U1.

Maybe not you specifically Simon but there may well be some people who prefer SxS card to XDCAM disc. In other words some who like the "P2" concept but bought F300 series for other reasons. I'm not saying that those are the majority of F300 series owners . . . just as I don't think the majority of EX1 owner would have preferred interchangeable lenses. I'm just saying that "some" F300 series owners really want a smaller camera with interchangeable lenses matching the picture quality and also want faster transfers that SxS facilitates.

In other words, some may want: interchangeable lens, smaller camera, faster transfer of data, matching picture quality . . . but bought F335 (especially) which doesn't even have some of the features (frame rate ability) of the EX3 because they didn't know when an EX3 was coming.

Simon Wyndham April 14th, 2008 10:32 AM

Thats just the way the world works. No company with any degree of sanity would announce forthcoming products at the same time as the launch of another. They'd never sell anything!

Besides, there is a huge price difference between a 335 and the EX series, and there were other options out there if they really wanted tapeless right now and couldn't wait.

Like I say, I'm not HD equipped right now because I'm waiting because I learnt a long time ago not to jump in feet first and buy equipment on impulse.

Craig Seeman April 14th, 2008 10:54 AM

F335 is $12,999.95 at B&H. Seems about the same price an EX3 would be (although EX3 might end up being around $11,000 "street").

BTW it was months back on a thread or two I said that Sony's next EX would really be in the F330 price range and feature set.

Although it almost seems the EX3 sits between F335 and F355.

In fact it's coming down to the difference between the two lines as EX series smaller camera and faster transfer speed vs big camera stability and no archival step needed. There are other differences but those seem to be the big ones.

Piotr Wozniacki April 14th, 2008 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark David Williams (Post 859977)
I think the point is the EX-1 came out just before Xmas although most people were left waiting until january. By february, Sony already had a newer better model prepared. BUT kept secret. The speed this happened makes you question Sonys marketing which has released the lessor camera first. Pulling in those indie makers with low budgets to buy it. Then waited until most have bought into it before declaring the better version with tools the indie filmmaker has cried out for for years. IE interchangeable lenses. Leaving those people wanting people to buy the later version all over again. And leaving those who cant feeling resentful and let down.

Piotr has obviously devoted so much enthusiasm on his camera and explored every part of it only to find Sony had a better version that he would have bought if he had known about it. And guess what Same here too. Although I am happy with My camera I would have chosen the EX-3 when I had the money in my pocket.
Yes we know products improve we know things move on Thats business But now are we talking product replacement within months? Not a replacement you may say? WELL why then wasnt we all informed WHY the big secret?

Some may say thats business. I say Business cant survive without customers and you peeve them off enough and your likely to find you have none.

Excellent points, Mark. Expecially about us, the customers...

I ordered and paid for the EX1 in October. Got it in February. My money was working for the dealer (another story), but also for Sony to secretly develop the EX3.

In March, I bought the Letus Extreme (plagued with flaws), only to learn about the other possibiliies with the EX3 / Ultimate now.

Having owned Sony stuff exclusively for over 30 years now (from my first hi-fi, through all my TV sets, home theathe systems, cameras, and even laptops), all I can say is that the EX1 (as marvellous as it is), is probably the last Sony product I ever bought.

Steve Connor April 14th, 2008 11:54 AM

I think everyone by now gets that you're annoyed with Sony, how many more times are you going to have to make the point before you move on

Steve Connor April 14th, 2008 12:02 PM

Then sell your EX1 and buy an EX3 when it comes out - your EX1 still has a value on the second hand market and any loss you make should be offset by the money you may have made from it.

Randy Strome April 14th, 2008 12:09 PM

Hi guys,

I understand that you are upset, and I am not trying to further aggrevate, but in fairness, you were aware (regardless of any new introductions) that you would never be able to change lenses on the cam that you bought. If this was important to you...

Mark David Williams April 14th, 2008 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Strome (Post 860187)
Hi guys,

I understand that you are upset, and I am not trying to further aggrevate, but in fairness, you were aware (regardless of any new introductions) that you would never be able to change lenses on the cam that you bought. If this was important to you...

Thats right and thats why some of us bought the letus adapters to fix lenses onto it. A compromise. I think those who bought the adapters were clearly looking at how to use interchangeable lenses on this camera.

Mark David Williams April 14th, 2008 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Connor (Post 860180)
Then sell your EX1 and buy an EX3 when it comes out - your EX1 still has a value on the second hand market and any loss you make should be offset by the money you may have made from it.

Yes that would be the ideal solution and one that has crossed my mind and that same thought has annoyed me because I cant afford to do it now because I bought the EX-1.

Dave Blackhurst April 14th, 2008 12:58 PM

OK, isn't the EX3 several thousand $$ more than the EX1??? That's an entirely different price point/market.

SO the argument that you wanted to buy the "better" camera and Sony denied you that option sounds a little strange to me (hey, I can't afford either one...) to say the least.

I buy and sell gear regularly in order to "upgrade" IF I can afford the difference. That would seem to be the logical solution rather than getting mad at a big company that is just releasing cameras as they can (with all the teething problems with the EX1 and Z7, I'd imaging product delays are making sense to someone at the company right now). Be happy for the technology you have, and if you can afford the upgrade, just get on with it.

There's always going to be something "newer and better", that's life in the age of technology. Go make timeless video - maybe it will make you feel better.

Benjamin Eckstein April 14th, 2008 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark David Williams (Post 860198)
Thats right and thats why some of us bought the letus adapters to fix lenses onto it. A compromise. I think those who bought the adapters were clearly looking at how to use interchangeable lenses on this camera.

A letus or similar adapter is VERY different than a EX-3 with interchangeable lenses. If I went for the EX-3 I'd still need my adapter (a Brevis) to achieve the shallow DOF of 35mm lenses. Secondary lenses on the the EX mount will not allow you to achieve that type of look.