Using Grey Cards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 16th, 2008, 09:37 AM   #1
Major Player

Using Grey Cards

I have never used Grey cards and I was wondering what the importance of using grey cards for setting up your white balance is.

Do you guys use it very much with your cameras?

Thanks
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 09:47 AM   #2
Regular Crew

It just changes the color temperature of the picture.

Actually if you're interested in changing the color temp on your video using white balance, I would check out www.warmcards.com.

I got a set of these and they actually work really nicely.

There’s a card for indoor, outdoor and fluorescent lights. It really helps with color consistency if you're moving from interiors to exteriors a lot.
George Tasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 10:03 AM   #3
Major Player

I've never thought/heard of using a grey card for white balancing a camera... I've used them as a reference for colour correction in post for exposure and gamma. Especially useful when using two different cameras that may have slightly different gammas. Although a greyscale chip chart would be even better for this than a single grey card.
Old April 16th, 2008, 10:14 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Tasick View Post
It just changes the color temperature of the picture.

Actually if you're interested in changing the color temp on your video using white balance, I would check out www.warmcards.com.

I got a set of these and they actually work really nicely.

There’s a card for indoor, outdoor and fluorescent lights. It really helps with color consistency if you're moving from interiors to exteriors a lot.
What is the difference between a grey card and warm cards?
Old April 16th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #5
Regular Crew

A gray card is neutral. A warm card is slightly blue in color and tricks the camera into balancing warmer. I use a Gretag digital grayscale for white balancing, and as a reference for post. It is only a black, white, and middle gray reference, but I find results in more consistently accurate white balancing and makes a good reference for color grading.
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 03:42 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Sean has it right.

In my opinion, if i can buy a bunch of laminated cards for $50 that makes a noticable difference in my video ... it's well worth the cost.

I like the Warm Cards because they make everything pop and they're super easy to use.

It's been my experience that good video does not necessarily come from a good camera and that accessories (like matte boxes and filters) can make a huge difference in the quality of your final product.
George Tasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 04:17 PM   #7
Regular Crew

An 18% grey card is used for metering on set (using a spot meter) in order to set exposure.

Shooting a grey card (along with a Macbeth chart or similar) will let you know what is white, black and 18% grey when you go to color correct.
Ben Ruffell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks for all the info guys!
Old April 16th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #9
Regular Crew

The PP modes on the EX1 allow you to accomplish the same function as the warm or cool cards by using the WB shift function to force the camera warmer or cooler by a set amount. Ben's right, the original reason for the gray card is a calibrated value to read from with a reflective light meter, as well as analyzing exposure on film. A true gray card will reflect exactly 18% of the light that hits it. In the video world, meters are used VERY infrequently, so a gray card isn't really necessary. I have found however that I get much better results white balancing to the 3 step macbeth than to even a pure "White Balance" card.

-Sean
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds