Zylight Z90 on camera light for PMW-EX1 Received in UK at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 11th, 2008, 08:19 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Zylight Z90 on camera light for PMW-EX1 Received in UK

Got a surprise delivery this afternoon from UPS (a surprise because I'd received no shipping email from Zylight): My Zylight Z90 kit arrived.

Along with a "cash on delivery" UPS demand for £98.50 VAT, duty and collection fee (ouch!)

I'd ordered it a couple of weeks back despite the fact that it seems to be permanently "On Backorder" (still showing as On Backorder as I type).

Just thought this might give some encouragement to those keen to get their hands on one, but worried that the unit may not be available.
Ian Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #2
Trustee

Ian is that an LED light ?
Could you post some screen grabs of the light on cam and in use.

Thanks,Paul.
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes it's LED. Includes colour control (no gels needed :) ), daylight/tungsten switch and a ton of other features. Your best bet is to view the excellent videos over on Steve Cahill's blog (these are what persuaded me to order the Zylight):

Original interview with Zylight about the equipment together with stills of the light and shots showing it hooked up on PMW-EX1:
http://web.mac.com/stevecahill/Steve...7_Zylight.html

Video shot using the Zylight 'on camera' with the EX1: http://web.mac.com/stevecahill/Steve...h_Zylight.html

Video short made to promote the Zylight: http://web.mac.com/stevecahill/Steve...ght_Short.html

Disappointed to find the "Worldwide adapter (UK)" comes with a lead that has two US-style pins with an adapter that changes these to rounded pins - ie no 3-pin plug cable.
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:54 AM   #4
Trustee

For some reason those clips won't play for me.
how are you powering the light Ian. ?
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:59 AM   #5
Regular Crew

1/24 Shutter !

(sorry posted reply instead of new topic :()
Paul Dhadialla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 10:07 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
For some reason those clips won't play for me.
how are you powering the light Ian. ?
I just checked all three and they all play fine here although they take a while to download, being high quality.

The videos show them being powered by an Anton Bauer battery. I ordered a power adapter and a battery with the unit direct from Zylight, although at the moment I'm struggling to understand how the light should be mounted on the camera. The hot shoe adapter has a "female" end, as does the light. An arm has been included in the kit but this has two threads that are smaller than that needed by the hot shoe adapter. Looking at the photo on Steve's blog I seem to be missing a bit that should come between the hot show adapter and the light itself :(
Old April 11th, 2008, 10:42 AM   #7
New Boot

Got mine yesterday

I received my two Zylights yesterday - I am also in the UK.
I ordered the shoe adapter and that fits the Zylight fine onto the camera.

I am very impressed with the lights.
Paul Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 10:50 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Burgess View Post
I received my two Zylights yesterday - I am also in the UK.
I ordered the shoe adapter and that fits the Zylight fine onto the camera.

I am very impressed with the lights.
How many pieces are there to your shoe adapter? If I take mine apart I have the following:

- Washer (packaged separately in plastic bag)
- Main unit comprising shoe adapter with screw, lower wide gnarled grip for tightening, upper 1" thinner gnarled grip with threaded "female" hole for a screw. The problem being the threaded screw provided with the hot shoe connector is shorter than the two grips so that I effectively have a "female" connection on the hot shoe adapter and also on the light itself.

Looking at the silhouette photo on Steve Cahill's page it seems like I should have another piece to connect the hot shoe adapter to the light itself.

I also have a two piece folding arm with male threads at each end, but that can't be used because the thread on these is a smaller diameter than the thread on the hot shoe connector.

Can you by any chance show us a photo showing the hot shoe connector connected to the light so I can verify what I'm doing wrong or what is missing?

Thanks,
Ian
Old April 11th, 2008, 12:59 PM   #9
Major Player

Female 1/4 20 thread on the bottom of the Zylight. I have a Manfrotto 482 That I use on the Zylight and attach that to the camera via a hotshoe the other end on the Manfotto has 1/4 x 20 thread. The Manfotto 482LCD has the hotshoe adapter on it that I use on the EX1

Works good.
Old April 11th, 2008, 02:05 PM   #10
New Boot

Ok

I will take a photo over the weekend and post it.
I have dinner guests to entertain tonight so must hurry.
The shoe adapter screws straight into the light - there a threaded section at one end to do that and the shoe at the other with a few knobs to adjust things in between.

I also have the manfrotto shoe adapter which works just the same.
Paul Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 03:28 PM   #11
Major Player

The light certainly looks amazing. Curious about the battery, though. I'd hoped the light could be powered by the camera battery, but this isn't the case? It needs a separate battery?
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Burgess View Post
I will take a photo over the weekend and post it.
I have dinner guests to entertain tonight so must hurry.
The shoe adapter screws straight into the light - there a threaded section at one end to do that and the shoe at the other with a few knobs to adjust things in between.

I also have the manfrotto shoe adapter which works just the same.
Thanks Paul. Don't worry if it's too much hassle. Looking at the photo on the Zylight page it seems I've got everything I'm supposed to have. It looks like the taller grip needs removing which then leaves enough thread to screw into the light, although it looks a bit fragile to me having so much thread exposed, and doesn't explain why the supplied the second 1" thumb grip in the first place.

I've ordered the Manfrotto (thanks Steve!) shoe adapter and will probably use that in preference.

Now I just need to work out how you stop the soft box adapter for the light sliding round as there's no stops on the ring adapter to keep it square on.

And work out logistically how to handle battery power.
Old April 11th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton View Post
The light certainly looks amazing. Curious about the battery, though. I'd hoped the light could be powered by the camera battery, but this isn't the case? It needs a separate battery?
Malcolm

Hard to see how it could be powered by the camera battery given that there's no connection on the camera battery.

The manual talks about using an Anton Bauer Gold Plate which seems to be a way of connecting to a battery that can be used on the older Sony cameras to power both camera and light, but I see no way of doing this on the EX1.

You can order the Zylight Z90 unit with either a D-tap connector or an XLR adapter but at the moment I haven't sorted a battery out. The one I ordered from Zylight is a general purpose one with a whole bunch of connections for different devices that looks like it will just plug direct into the light, but it came with a US plug so I need to get a US-UK adapter.
Old April 11th, 2008, 05:52 PM   #14
Trustee

The Z90 draws 30W watts, even if you could probably not a good look expecting the camera battery to run the light and the camera.

We just got two Zacuto rail / shoulder mount systems for our EX1s. With a Comer battery hung out the back we have two D Taps available or we can wire directly into the V Lock plate. This arrangement gives plenty of power to run the EX1, a monitor and the Z90 plus the weight of the battery balances out the weight of the camera.
You don't really need to spend as much as the Zacuto system costs to get an elegant solution, there's a couple of other shoulder bracket systems around that solve all the problems in one go although they do lack the bling and configurability of the Zacuto.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:14 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Smith View Post
Now I just need to work out how you stop the soft box adapter for the light sliding round as there's no stops on the ring adapter to keep it square on.
Please let me know if you figure that one out. I've had the Z90 (along with their barndoors and the Chimera softbox) since the day it was released, and I also immediately was surprised that the accessories just spin around on the mount.

In theory you might want to rotate the softbox, for example, from horizontal to vertical orientation...but it would be nice if things were tight enough that you could rotate but not have it flop around so freely. I think I actually emailed Zylight about this, but I never heard back...
Brent Kolitz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds