Can I expect the EX1 mic mount to break? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 30th, 2008, 01:28 AM   #1
Major Player

Can I expect the EX1 mic mount to break?

Can I expect the EX1 mic mount to break and if so... What is the fix?

I'm about to pick up the Sennheiser 416 with a Rycote Softie.
Jonathan Bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 02:37 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Bland View Post
Can I expect the EX1 mic mount to break and if so... What is the fix?
I'm about to pick up the Sennheiser 416 with a Rycote Softie.
Here's a solid solution for the Z1/FX1. I don't know if it will fit the EX1 handle.

Delvcam DELV1081 Handle Bracket
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...acket_for.html
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 03:09 AM   #3
Regular Crew

It should only break if it's knocked hard or dropped - I don't expect this to happen, and nor should you, unless you tend to operate in violent environments!
Peter Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 05:46 AM   #4
Major Player

Mine broke, but yes, in a stupid, violent environment. I "fixed" it with glue and zip ties and that has worked fine. Sony charges 80 bucks for a replacement, so I will probably do some type of suspension mount.
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 07:45 AM   #5
Trustee

The mic holders on the Z1 break, regularly. Haven't had an EX1 one actually break yet but just looking at the design there's very little plastic where the screws fasten the holder to the audio pod. We've made our own from a Rode suspension mount. This solves several problems. It gets the mic up a little higher so no fouling of matte boxes or bits of fur getting into the shot, it provides better isolation from any camera noise and the mount will not break.

There's a photo of my design here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....80&postcount=6
feel free to copy it, if you need any further info on how to make one PM me.

One of the main causes of failure of our Z1 mic holders has been the use of those devices from Rode and others that use a tube held into the existing mic clamp. They are simply too heavy for the plastic clamp and over time the clamp fractures.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 10:50 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Eckstein View Post
Mine broke, but yes, in a stupid, violent environment. I "fixed" it with glue and zip ties and that has worked fine. Sony charges 80 bucks for a replacement, so I will probably do some type of suspension mount.
I use a Sennheiser shockmount in the shoe mount. The Sony plastic mount doesn't seem like it offers much in the way of shock absorption. I'm surprised anyone uses it.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 11:32 AM   #7
Major Player

I need one of you creative types to chew on this. I now have a Zylight Z90 to mount onto my EX-1. The light weights a pound and is cold shoe mounted. Not good....I do not trust Sony's shoe with a $900.00 light. Also my new mic rides in a shockmount and the shockmount is set up for the coldshoe. So now, I need two shoes. I am looking at the Delvcam DELVG10801 Handle Bracket but I do not like to risk $100.00 on an experiment.

Ideas?
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 11:46 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wright View Post
It should only break if it's knocked hard or dropped - I don't expect this to happen, and nor should you, unless you tend to operate in violent environments!
Mine broke, seemingly just because of the bag rubbing against it.

Sony had zero interest whatsoever in helping me get it fixed. Ended up with a bit of a bodge job using a spare Z1 holder (which is sturdier and some flex built-in) but it's a bodge because the screw mounts on the Z1 holder are a tiny fraction wider apart.

Couldn't believe how thin and flimsy the (hidden) plastic mounting plate is when it snapped off.
Ian Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 03:14 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Gunn View Post
I need one of you creative types to chew on this. I now have a Zylight Z90 to mount onto my EX-1. The light weights a pound and is cold shoe mounted. Not good....I do not trust Sony's shoe with a $900.00 light. Also my new mic rides in a shockmount and the shockmount is set up for the coldshoe. So now, I need two shoes. I am looking at the Delvcam DELVG10801 Handle Bracket but I do not like to risk $100.00 on an experiment.

Ideas?
That's the pain with the EX1, general shortage of way to mount anything on it. We've kitted out two of ours with the full Zacuto gear so now we've got plenty of ways to mount our Zylights, mics, wireless receivers and brick batteries. All that beautiful aluminium cost 30% of the price of the camera though.

For a simple handle mounting point add on this one:
http://www.vfgadgets.com/HDVbracket.htm
is a little cheaper and lower profile than the one you're looking at. Given how it mounts to the handle I'd be pretty confident it'd fit and hang on tightly.
Old May 1st, 2008, 12:54 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
That's the pain with the EX1, general shortage of way to mount anything on it. We've kitted out two of ours with the full Zacuto gear so now we've got plenty of ways to mount our Zylights, mics, wireless receivers and brick batteries. All that beautiful aluminium cost 30% of the price of the camera though.

For a simple handle mounting point add on this one:
http://www.vfgadgets.com/HDVbracket.htm
is a little cheaper and lower profile than the one you're looking at. Given how it mounts to the handle I'd be pretty confident it'd fit and hang on tightly.
Hey Bob,

I'll put you on my Christmas card list if you post some picks of your set up.

JoJo
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 02:28 AM   #11
Trustee

Hi Dan,
at the moment we've just got exactly what you'll see on the Zacuto website. More than happy to post some pics but all our EX1s are rented out for the next couple of days.
Thing too is this Zacuto stuff is like a big boys Mechano set. Expect to end up buying more bits than you might need immediately. Don't dispair though, you might need them when the EX5 comes out. We'll also be using our Zacuto gear with other cameras in other configurations so having extra parts to mount things is a good move for us.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 12:16 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
Hi Dan,
at the moment we've just got exactly what you'll see on the Zacuto website. More than happy to post some pics but all our EX1s are rented out for the next couple of days.
Thing too is this Zacuto stuff is like a big boys Mechano set. Expect to end up buying more bits than you might need immediately. Don't dispair though, you might need them when the EX5 comes out. We'll also be using our Zacuto gear with other cameras in other configurations so having extra parts to mount things is a good move for us.
re. EX-5......bite your tongue
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds