My first EX1 clip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 30th, 2008, 11:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

My first EX1 clip

Here is my first EX1 clip.
http://www.vimeo.com/958076

any feedback is appreciated.
Bhanu Neti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 11:20 AM   #2
Major Player

Bhanu:

If you don't have one already, get a good fluid head tripod that can make nice, smooth pans and tilts. The tripod shots were a little rough.

Once you have the better set of sticks, use them religiously. Especially on an HD monitor/TV, shaky handheld HD video is nearly unwatchable.

Couple of other thoughts:

1. Try to keep your shots a little shorter. Long, meandering pans seldom work well. Instead of one 15 -20 second shot that wanders all over the place, give us three 4-5 second images that make a sequence: maybe a nice wide shot showing the area, then a couple of closer images to show detail.

2. Vary your image size dramatically. The EX1 produces great pictures; don't be afraid to throw in an extreme close up from time to time.

3. Watch your exposures and make sure you're at the appropriate level. As a fellow Pacific Northwester, I'm very familiar with gray days, but you seemed to be routinely underexposing many of the shots. (Unless there is a level problem in your NLE or compression tool)

Other than that, good start! Shoot everything you can, and try as many moves and techniques as you can...and see what begins to work for you.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 10:02 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Bill,
Thank you for the feedback. I was using the Libec H60 head. May be i am not using properly, Tilt and Pan drag settings may not be right.

On the exposure: i was trying to make the zebra disappear. May be i should experiment.
Bhanu Neti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 12:01 PM   #4
Major Player

Bhanu:

Where do you have your zebras set, percentage-wise? You probably should be seeing at least a little zebra pattern in the brightest portions of the picture.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds