Extension cable for lens controller. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 2nd, 2008, 06:02 AM   #1
Trustee

Extension cable for lens controller.

We have two ZOE EX controllers and are they are great but the cable is too short if the camera is on a crane. Anyone know where we can get extension cables from?

I was hoping the interconnect is one of the industry standards so extension cables already exist however 16x9 tell us they'll have extension cables available shortly which makes me think they're not a standard.

Last edited by Bob Grant; May 2nd, 2008 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Fix typo
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 02:48 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Bob, the pin layout is definitely proprietary, not standard, but it's nice to hear that Bebob will make extensions. Thanks a bunch,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 05:27 PM   #3
Trustee

Yes, the problem would seem to be that the connector itself is something new. If it wasn't we'd make our own extension cables. If all else fails we can use the remote control that ships with the EX1.

The Bebob cables will be available in 5M and 10M.

Update:

Well it seems that Libec have a better solution than Bebob in some respects. They're using a standard Canon /Fujinon controller with an adaptor cable. Having gone down that path they also have an off the shelf extension cable available. This means the Libec extension cables are using Hirose connectors that lock postively.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 08:46 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Good to know. Much appreciated as always, Bob!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 09:53 PM   #5
Trustee

I thought I had this problem nailed but not so.

Thinking a bit outside the square I figured I'd cut the cable on the Bebob and fit a 10 pin Hirose plug and socket and also make up an extension cable that could be fitted in between. This plan came unstuck when I found out that Radio Spares have discontinued the 10 pin Hirose connectors. If this is because they just didn't sell enough or if Hirose themselves have stopped making them I can't say. If the latter it could explain why Sony had to roll their own.

So undaunted I figured on looking at using Lemo connectors, they're a better connector anyway. That looked viable until I saw the cost of 2 plugs and 2 sockets at around $700. I probably should add the cost of a stereo microscope into that. I take my hat off to anyone whose ever soldered one of those minute connectors onto a cable with the naked eye.
Old May 4th, 2008, 06:05 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
I thought I had this problem nailed but not so.
I take my hat off to anyone whose ever soldered one of those minute connectors onto a cable with the naked eye.
I have done this type of thing plenty of times,with CD changer leads from car stereos,ie 2 plugs with 4 inches of lead on each plug,hardly enough lead for the changer to go in the rear of the car.
I used to go to my local electronics store, (maplin electronics here in the UK),and buy a length of lead for next to nothing,then solder the wires at each end to the bits left on the plug.
It used to take me about an hour,the wires are like hairs. Even wire strippers wouldn't strip off the insulation,i had to carefully use nail clippers.

Bob,if you were in the UK i'd do this for you,i'm pretty confident i could do it again,i'm only 36 so my eyes are still ok !!! I could make your lead as long as you wanted.

Onyhow,i just looked Maplin electronics,they haven't got any 10 pin plugs,but a couple of 5 pin plugs at each end would do.

Paul.
Old May 4th, 2008, 08:06 AM   #7
Trustee

Paul,
thanks for the kind offer. If this was my gear and I was the one using it I'd have a length of 10 core spliced into the middle of the existing cable in under half an hour. It'd be resplendant with heat shrink and not look too bad at all. However two problems.
Firstly it's for use by others on a big shoot and secondly short of unsplicing the added length we'd be stuck with a pretty longish cable if we were using the camera on sticks instead of a crane.
I do like your idea of using two connectors though. I'd go for a 4 pin and say a six pin, just so no one could get things mixed up.
Old January 26th, 2009, 06:58 AM   #8
Major Player

Hello, sorry to resurrect an old thread but I was wondering if anyone has had any luck getting extension for EX remote zooms?

I'm was thinking of getting the cheapest controller - the Libec and making an inline extension for it as it uses more standardized connectors. But I really want the Bebob controller as it seems more suited to my needs.

Has anyone spliced into a controller cable yet?

Duncan.
Old January 26th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #9
Inner Circle

You could use a standard Fujinon Broad cast remote (SRD-92) demand with one of the JonnyJib adapter cables. If you need a very long cable then all you need is a standard Fujinon remote extension cable which should be available from any JonnyJib, a good broadcast dealer or jib maker.
Old January 27th, 2009, 05:08 AM   #10
Major Player

I've ordered an EX1 without cards and a Bebob ZoeEX from Jigsaw, and an MxR which has already arrived from OZ - fast!

Does anyone have a supplier for these new sony plugs and sockets?
If the zoom demand manufacturers have them on their products they must be available somewhere (maybe only the plugs though!?)

I'll get in touch with Bebob to see if they sell extensions. If not I'll need to splice a male and female of something in there to extend it.

A 9-pin D-type would be too big to fit through my Varizoom hot head.
D-subminiature - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe a Din?
DIN connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old January 27th, 2009, 07:27 AM   #11
Major Player

I looked at the ZOE-EX at B&H Photo-video in NYC and it looked really small so I didn't buy it. Don't you guys gave a problem using it, especially that Record button?

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 07:45 AM   #12
Major Player

Bebob make 5m (ZK-EX-5 at €113) and 10m (ZK-EX-10 at €159) extension cables.
But at those prices I might make my own with DIN plugs...I only need about 3m anyway.
Old February 9th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #13
Major Player

I've chopped my Bebob ZoeEX up and I'm putting 8-pin DIN connectors on it now.
Just to say the cable flex they've used is really nice to work with. Sometimes cable can be crappy inside, but this looks easy to strip and very flexible.
Attached Thumbnails
Extension cable for lens controller.-dsc_7828.jpg   Extension cable for lens controller.-dsc_7832.jpg  

Last edited by Duncan Craig; February 9th, 2009 at 06:06 PM.
Duncan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 07:48 AM   #14
Major Player

Job Done!

The coloured insulations were a little tricky to work with as they melt a little too easily, but I got there in the end. Soldering the 8 pin Din terminals is fiddly, they're very close together as you'd expect.

I used Cat 5e cable and made a long 8 pin Din extension which is now permanently loomed through my Varizoom hothead ready for jib shots. I'll make another couple of extensions as spares too.
Old April 18th, 2009, 12:27 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Hirose RP6-10PF-8P

FYI the plug used on the EX1/EX3 for lens control is a hirose connector. The plug with is supplied moulded to a short cable tail Hirose part No RP6-10PF-8P. I have not been able to get my hands on any, but it's certainly the part you need if making up your own controllers etc.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds