EX1 Saving SxS Content at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 9th, 2008, 05:36 PM   #1
New Boot

EX1 Saving SxS Content

I planning on buying an EX1 when most of the on-going issues are hopefully resolved, probably at year's end.

I'll be 77 and travel to Europe alone for several months at a time. I take about 10+ hr of tape or ten 16GB of SxSs. Ten SxS cards are too expensive. So what are my options?

Buy the cheapest, smallest and lightest laptop---mini notebook with an Express card slot and a 250 GB External HD. Loading the latest XDCAM EX Browser to view the clips.

If so what do you recommend?

Weight and cost are the governing factors. My camera bag full is 20lb and my luggage is another 20lb.

Any input gratefully received.
Thanks,

Dave

Last edited by David B. Monier-Williams; May 9th, 2008 at 05:37 PM. Reason: incorrect signature
David B. Monier-Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 07:15 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Dave,

You might look into the HP 2133 UMPC. It's a very small laptop with an ExpressCard slot. I do *not* know if it works with SxS cards. I'm waiting to see if someone here will try it.

This is completely off topic, but are you by any chance related to Sir Monier Monier-Williams? I used his dictionary in college!
Gabriel Chiefetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 08:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Two of these Lacie Rugged drives http://tinyurl.com/69wofz (like NASA always have a backup) together they are less than one pound (8.8 oz each)

Small Sony Viao laptop like this http://tinyurl.com/5leh96 (4 lbs)

Totaling 5.6 pounds (not including power supplies and extra swag)

And check out that ShotPut EXpress software so you can save to both drives at the same time. Only $49
Old May 10th, 2008, 12:33 AM   #4
Major Player

Is it practical to download to portable HDD using internet cafe machines? Would mean carrying the Sony card reader plus software on a thumb drive. I've never used an internet cafe, hence the question. Obviously not as convenient as having your own machine, but has other obvious advantages.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 08:02 AM   #5
New Boot

Saving SxS Content

Thanks for the replies. I gave the HP 2133 UMPC a coursory check but didn't find a SXS slot. I'll check further later today.

Andrew, if the Hp works it would save a lot of weight and cost over the Vaio.

The problem with a portable HDD is that you need Sony software to load on to the internet cafe's machine to view the files.

Thanks for all your input.

David
Old May 10th, 2008, 08:06 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Internet cafe computer: Does the USB reader need the SxS drivers for the computer to acknowledge the card? The cafe' people may not allow installing of programs on their computers...

Also, would you be worried about corrupting the media? Internet cafe computers may not be the cleanest of machines...
Old May 10th, 2008, 08:10 AM   #7
Wrangler

You might be interested then in the new 60 gb hard drive unit that Sony unveiled at NAB. It's a nice little unit that sits on the camera's shoe and has a mini-USB to SxS adapter cable. 210 minutes of continuous recording at full quality. Availability is supposed to be July.

It's roughly the size of a deck of playing cards in width and thickness, but a bit shorter in length. Runs on its own separate battery (same type the camera uses) or on an AC adapter.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 08:25 AM   #8
New Boot

Saving SxS Content

I just checked out the HP 2133 UMPC again. It has a SxS 54 slot. I'll have to check on Monday with HP if it will accept SxS 34s. I believe it will.

Andrew I agree with you on the internet cafes.

Greg, you must consider that the added weight of the 60 GB PLUS the added battery violates this 77 year olds rule of, "Lighter is better."...LOL! It would have to be at least 160GB anyway.
Old May 10th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #9
Regular Crew

SxS cards will fit in Expresscard 54 slots. They just use the back two-thirds of the slot.

I bought an inexpensive Dell Vostro with a 250gb HDD. (Dell had them on sale a couple months ago.) I teamed that up with an external 250 gb HDD as backup. I was trying to come up with a batch-file operation to automate copying files to the computer's HDD and external HDD. I'm going to give ShotPut a try.

The laptop isn't the lightest weight option, but until Sony decides to put a bigger HDD into their portable recorder (Come on, 60gb? What were they thinking?) the laptop will have to do.

Pete
Clark Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 08:22 PM   #10
Major Player

>>>Does the USB reader need the SxS drivers for the computer to acknowledge the card?<<<

Indeed it does and would have to be installed, as would ShotPut_Express. So probably not permitted by cafe as well as unwise due to security questions. Nicely cleared up!

EDIT: Actually ShotPut has a single machine licence, so one would have to use the Sony software anyway.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds