Power options: PAG batteries? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 10th, 2008, 02:36 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Rawlings View Post
I will chase them next week. I offered to send them my charger cable but they wanted to do it properly and get a product that all could have easily.
Hi Bruce

Did you talk to PAG about the cable?
Old June 10th, 2008, 02:42 AM   #17
New Boot

Hey Bob, did you find those locally or did you need to order from O/S??

R.
Roger Hagelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 05:59 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Dolgin View Post
You are almost there... you are correct that the amp hours do not change, but it is 7800mah@7.2V for the largest Sony L battery. So connecting 2 of them together gets you a 7800mah@14.4V battery. The U60 is only 4000mah@14.4V. Using 2 Sony L batteries, a camera will run almost 2x long as on the U60.
HTH
Thank you for correcting your error above claiming that the watt hours increase when two batteries are connected in series.

As far as your statement that the largest L-battery is 7800 mAh, the largest L battery (as I stated earlier) is the NP-F970. I am looking right at the back of one as we speak and it says 47.5 Wh which converts to 6600 mAh and not 7800 mAh as you stated. A quick check of the Sony website confirms this:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...0788&langId=-1

Sony does not list a higher capacity L battery than the NP-F970 unless you know of another one they don't list.

Wh = Ah x V

Ah = Wh / V

Thus 47.5 Wh / 7.2 V = 6.6 Ah To convert to mAh multiply by 1000 to get 6.6 x 1000 = 6600 mAh for the NP-F970.

As far as the mAh or Wh for one application (load) (camera) being directly comparable to another I disagree. The discharge characteristics are different for each application depending upon the load and the battery combined with it. That is why my BP-U60 lasts only four hours in my EX1 and my NP-F970 lasts eight to ten hours in my VX2000 with the LCD closed in both cases. Maybe you should test two if them in your voltage doubler hooked up to an EX1 before you make some of these claims.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 06:42 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Thanks Bruce - are you still in touch with them? Because if the only reason for not providing their customers with the right cable is the connector being difficult to get, with no other reasons for their batteries to not work properly with the EX1 DC-in - I guess I would be willing to cut the cable of my EX1 charger, fit it with XLR connectors, and use an XLR to PP90 adapter cable in order to plug it into my PAGlocks...
Did something like that some time ago :
http://www.lecentre.net/blog/archives/242

now I can power the EX1 from external 12v, like another power source, a battery or a car plug (turn off the EX1 when starting the car as the voltage can drop down so the camera turns off).
Old June 10th, 2008, 08:54 AM   #20
Major Player

Have just spoken to PAG. They now have cables with EX1 connectors in stock. I am using L95s and ZL50s with a V Lock PAG plate and cable with female XLR plug. My EX1 cable will be male XLR to EX1 connector. Do not know the price yet but you can contact PAG for a costing on your particular wants.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 09:10 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Thanks Bruce - what I need is PP90 - to - EX1, 1-m cable; hope they have it as well.
Old June 10th, 2008, 11:46 AM   #22
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
Thank you for correcting your error above claiming that the watt hours increase when two batteries are connected in series.

As far as your statement that the largest L-battery is 7800 mAh, the largest L battery (as I stated earlier) is the NP-F970. I am looking right at the back of one as we speak and it says 47.5 Wh which converts to 6600 mAh and not 7800 mAh as you stated. A quick check of the Sony website confirms this:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...0788&langId=-1

Sony does not list a higher capacity L battery than the NP-F970 unless you know of another one they don't list.

Wh = Ah x V

Ah = Wh / V

Thus 47.5 Wh / 7.2 V = 6.6 Ah To convert to mAh multiply by 1000 to get 6.6 x 1000 = 6600 mAh for the NP-F970.

As far as the mAh or Wh for one application (load) (camera) being directly comparable to another I disagree. The discharge characteristics are different for each application depending upon the load and the battery combined with it. That is why my BP-U60 lasts only four hours in my EX1 and my NP-F970 lasts eight to ten hours in my VX2000 with the LCD closed in both cases. Maybe you should test two if them in your voltage doubler hooked up to an EX1 before you make some of these claims.

John
John, the last thing I wanted is to get into an argument with you. What I write here is factually true, you can verify that by reading up a bit more online or in the textbooks.
As far as the largest Sony battery, while Sony does not make 7800mah L batteries, some 3d party vendors do, like this Lenmar http://www.huntsphotoandvideo.com/de...ductid=LIS970P is listed at 7800mah. We actually tested this particular model, it truely delivers what promised. But the point here was not who makes the largest battery, the number I used was just for the reference to illustrate how math works here.
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds