Pre-Order PMWEX3 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 12th, 2008, 11:05 AM   #16
Major Player

A little less than 6000 pounds plus VAT.

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 11:13 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Postel View Post
Is anyone else finding this EX3 astonishingly more affordable than previously thought?!
Sony has yet to drop the other 'shoe'. Their warranty coverage is Country specific and so the deal breaker may well be how Sony intends to deliver firmware upgrades. Asking money for the upgrade is one thing, but asking the end user to also send the camera into a Sony Authorized Repair depot is another. Time is money when having to return and wait for one's camera to be returned for a simple firmware upgrade. Then there are the reassuring experiences of having one's camera endure the harsh realities of shipping and repair depot handling. You know that advertisement with the 500 pound Guerilla handling of airport luggage.

I hope Sony's Broadcast division is willing to listen to the EX customer as well as learn from their consumer products, PS and computer divisions. These later Sony citizens, who actually serve the customer by delivering firmware upgrades to the customer--for the customer to install! Even Cell Phone users expect these firmware update capabilities as common place. Power to the people and all that entails--customer loyalty and all that warm fuzzy customer satisfaction stuff :-))
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Cantrell View Post
Sony is including 1 SBP-8 8GB SXS card with the PMWEX3 kit as a promotion!
Doesnt the EX3 always come standard with a 8GB SxS card, just like the EX1 does? or do you mean there is a promotion for an extra 8GB SxS card in addition to the one that comes in the box with the EX3?
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 11:22 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Yuan-Vogel View Post
Doesnt the EX3 always come standard with a 8GB SxS card, just like the EX1 does? or do you mean there is a promotion for an extra 8GB SxS card in addition to the one that comes in the box with the EX3?
So far all I've seen is AbleCine in NY, who have actually posted details on their web page with pricing. They mention the 8 GB card as included. There is no mention of any promotion for an extra 8 GB card in addition to the one that ships with the EX3.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Anwender View Post
So far all I've seen is AbleCine in NY, who have actually posted details on their web page with pricing. They mention the 8 GB card as included. There is no mention of any promotion for an extra 8 GB card in addition to the one that ships with the EX3.
Right, thats why I was a bit confused about the way Scott talked about the 8GB SxS card...
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 12:30 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I don't think adding an 8GB card constitutes as a "promotion". It's what you need to get going. What, is adding the battery charger and battery a "promotion" too?

Yes, the EX3 has come down in prices quite a bit, and that's good. But it still does the same thing. Unless I'm mistaken, ergonomics and interchangeable lenses are the main upgraded features. I get a feeling not too many of us can afford cine lenses - plus I'm not too sure I see the logic behind enabling interchangeable lenses on a sub $10k body, when the lenses themselves run much much much higher.

But hey! I'm not saying they should bring up the prices to $13k either! :)
Gabriel Florit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #22
Trustee

sort of true. But with most high quality HD lenses costing more than the body it is nothing new.

What it gives you is the ability, when you need to, to hire in high quality glass for special shoots. Also it lets you stick on 35mm adaptor relays like P & S and Letus.

1gb card promotion? Do they not mean to say 1 extra card? That is poor!! It's like buying a car and not being given the tyres. Well perhaps the petrol would be better analogy.

The ergonomics and viewfinder make it far superior to the ex1 as well as the genlock and tc in and out make it worth the extra dosh.
Old June 12th, 2008, 12:36 PM   #23
Regular Crew

That is one thing I've always been considering-- the fact that getting a good set of lenses for the camera could run higher than the price of the camera itself!

Might as well still get a 35mm adapter with cheaper lenses... but then what does that leave us as far as advantages from the EX1?

Besides the ergonomics, LCD hood, and overcrank knob on the outside, if I'm not going to buy cine or 1/2" lenses, is their a glaring advantage I'm missing?
Ryan Postel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 01:12 PM   #24
Trustee

hey ryan

your post reminded me of Monty Python's "Life of Brian" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kiUgr9dCrk

other than the ergonomics, proper viewfinder, outside frame rate knob, genlock, tc in and out, proper bnc video out, cold shoe at rear for more accessories, semi shoulder mount, ability to use different lenses if needed, why is the ex3 better than the ex1? :-)
Old June 12th, 2008, 01:17 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Chuckle, chuckle,<big grin>
Old June 12th, 2008, 01:32 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Touche Phil...so maybe there are well over a dozen significant advantages that make it worth it, but does it also shoot my movie for me? Toast bread? I didn't think so. ;-)

But seriously, I guess my point (although poorly worded) was that there are great advantages, but some I'll use and some I won't for my intended uses. I have to justify added costs. This is going to be through my personal funds rather than my company's (which makes the purchasing decision 1000 times more difficult).
Ryan Postel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 03:47 PM   #27
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

Paul Chiu,
Sony does not have anything planned on for a 4:2:2 add on.
As already noted by Mike Schell, it looks like there re 3rd party products that will be available.
In concerns with the PHU60K HDD interfering with your bag, not really.
There will be a card that goes into the SXS interface on the camcorder which will have a USB cable attached that will then go to the HDD.
Thereby mounting of the PHU60K HDD is optional to the customer's configuration.
Concerning PHU60K compatibility with the PMWEX1, yes it will be compatible, but the EX1 will require a firmware update (soon to be released).

Noah, I did not mean to confuse you, I used the terminology as outlined on a Q/A from Sony concerning the EX3.
In answer, The EX3 will NOT always come standard with an 8GB card.
Sony did not anticipate to supply a SXS Card with the purchase of the EX3, or the EX1 for that matter.
The 8GB SXS card that currently ships with the EX1 is titled a "Promotion" as it is not, I repeat not, an included item on their list of accessories that ship with the camcorder kit. It is currently a "Promotion" to include the card with the purchase.
The PMWEX1 also has an additional Rebatable Promotion for an additional 8GB SXS card.
As of now, this rebate is not being offered with the release of the PMWEX3.

Ryan, I believe Phil Bloom provided a very good synopsis between the two camcorders!

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
Tapeworks Texas Inc - HDVinfo Sponser
tapeworksscott@sbcglobal.net
866-827-3489
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #28
Major Player

Sott brings up a good point on the SxS card that came with the EX1...Not the rebate additional card but the one that came with the camera. The Package contents page in the owners manual does not show an SxS card...Should be included with your camera so that may end soon??
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 07:15 AM   #29
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
Sony don't officially support any 4:2:2 add ons but the convergent design box will record in xdcam hd 50mbs 422 but you will need to press record on it everytime you roll and over and undercrank won't work
Hi Phil-
I must admit to a lack of knowledge on the undercrank/overcrank function, but doesn't the EX1/3 output a valid HD-SDI stream when operating in this mode? If so, we should be able to capture with XDR/nanoFlash.

Also, every camera I have tested will output an invalid (all 1's) time-code when operating in "live mode", but once you press the record button you get a valid incrementing time code. We are planning to use this "feature" as one of the record trigger options. Does the EX1/EX3 operate differently?

I'll have an EX1 this week and test these issues with Flash XDR. But, any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.
Old June 14th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #30
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Cantrell View Post
Concerning PHU60K compatibility with the PMWEX1, yes it will be compatible, but the EX1 will require a firmware update (soon to be released).
Hi Scott,

I found that comment interesting because I worked the EX Workflow Pavilion for Sony at NAB. We were using the hard drive on the EX-1 throughout the show and it worked perfectly. I was not aware of any upgraded firmware in the EX-1 cameras we were using but perhaps it had been.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds