focusing with EX1 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 19th, 2008, 10:23 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Dormoy View Post
I just got my PMW-EX1 yesterday and one of the problems I found is that it takes several seconds to focus on the subject, unlike my previous camera (Sony VX2000).
Is that because of an incorrect setting ? Or it it fact of like with the EX1?
The EX1 is a dream compared to other HD camera's I've used. Try an HVX sometime. They don't even call it autofocus, it's called "focus assist" because it's too slow to even use as an autofocus.

Other than a 1080/60p omission, I have not found ANYTHING about this camera I don't love.
Old July 20th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Other than a 1080/60p omission, I have not found ANYTHING about this camera I don't love.
Oh . . . COME ON!

Tell me you love the remote!
(A bar of chocolate in the box would have been more use to me).
Old July 20th, 2008, 02:00 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Nickless View Post
Oh . . . COME ON!

Tell me you love the remote!
(A bar of chocolate in the box would have been more use to me).
Or the sticking ND filter switch :(

But these are all minor issues; the more I use (and know) this camera, the more I love it - especially that it will never allow you to get bored, so many new worlds of great (and not so great) features discovered with each new project!
Old July 20th, 2008, 02:44 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
the more I use (and know) this camera, the more I love it
Same here!
Best video camera I ever used - by far!

And my ND Filter switch doesn't stick . . . am I missing something?
Old July 20th, 2008, 06:29 PM   #35
Inner Circle

My ND filter doesn't stick either. And I can't comment on the remote. It's still in the bag. I don't think I've ever used the remote on my DVX either... and I've had that thing for 4 or 5 years now.
Old July 21st, 2008, 12:08 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Quote:
I don't think I've ever used the remote on my DVX either... and I've had that thing for 4 or 5 years now.
The main reason I'd like a remote that actually works would be to use it to get a perfect zoom rather than actually touching the camera (and risking some movement).

Unfortunately, on the EX1 the remote facility seems to have been designed by someone who assumed you'd only want to use it if you were standing in front of the camera (and very close).
Old July 21st, 2008, 12:20 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Quote:
The main reason I'd like a remote that actually works would be to use it to get a perfect zoom rather than actually touching the camera (and risking some movement).
That's what a dolly is for.. :)
Old July 21st, 2008, 12:44 AM   #38
Regular Crew

Quote:
That's what a dolly is for.. :)
Not really practical out in our fields. It would have to be very robust, so it would take too much time to set up, dismantle and store - not to mention the cost (and the weight).

So I just have to press the rocker button on the handle if I really must zoom but I don't much like zooming anyway, so I try to avoid it unless I feel it's essential.

Don't misunderstand me, the EX1 is fantastic but it would be handy if the remote was practical.
Old July 21st, 2008, 01:16 AM   #39
Inner Circle

Quote:
Not really practical out in our fields. It would have to be very robust, so it would take too much time to set up, dismantle and store - not to mention the cost (and the weight).

So I just have to press the rocker button on the handle if I really must zoom but I don't much like zooming anyway, so I try to avoid it unless I feel it's essential.

Don't misunderstand me, the EX1 is fantastic but it would be handy if the remote was practical.
I was just kidding. But I am curious now. I'll have to try the remote tomorrow. I've typically found in-camera zooming to not be very filmic, so I dont use it. I tend to shoot as though I have a variety of primes.

To each their own though.
Old July 21st, 2008, 01:21 AM   #40
Regular Crew

Quote:
I tend to shoot as though I have a variety of primes.
I agree - people use zoom far too often.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds