Time code sync - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 31st, 2008, 08:42 AM   #16
Major Player

ok I said I'd report my results using a remote to initiate a record on both cams at the same time.

Each was at the same distance from the remote, remote pointed exactly between them... They visually seemed to start at the same time but sync was off by 5 frames.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 09:03 AM   #17
Major Player

YAHOO!! Just got timecode sync'd on two EX1s.

I don't know how long it will hold up but I did manually with the menu/clock/set method. It took a few tries but after testing with a still camera flash it's accurate to the frame (for now).

If you have slow reflexes don't bother. Then again I may have just gotten lucky!

I have a 2-cam shoot on Saturday. It will be interesting to see if they are still in sync then.
Old July 31st, 2008, 09:44 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Well done, Craig! It's always good to have a little luck on your side!

Forrest
Forrest Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 10:49 AM   #19
Major Player

Wow, impressive, Craig. So, did you just have a hand on each camera and reset them to zero at exactly the same time? Down to 1/30th of a second?
Old July 31st, 2008, 12:17 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
Wow, impressive, Craig. So, did you just have a hand on each camera and reset them to zero at exactly the same time? Down to 1/30th of a second?
I put my thumbs on both jog/dials and simultaneously pressed SET. Now when I say "pressed" - it was more like a rapid reflex motion. First try I was off 9 frames, second try I was off 6 frames, third try was perfect.

When I checked the third time, I actually said to myself "holy @#$% - I can't believe I did that??" In disbelief, I kept scrubbing though the clips to confirm it. I guess I'm proof it's possible... or that it's possible to be lucky!" All I know is that I don't want to try it again and erase my early success!

BTW... I love the CLOCK timecode feature on this camera. My shoots can go for many hours in a day and it's real nice in FC with a TC start column in clip browser. I instantly know the exact time of day each clip was shot, & of course, the exact sequence of shots with more than one cam. SWEET!!! I love this camera!!!
Old August 4th, 2008, 07:34 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
Just a follow up on this for all who were interested.

I had a 2 cam shoot only 2 days after syncing timecode and it's obvious that it did not hold up. Timecode is many frames apart between cams already. oh well. I tried.
Old August 4th, 2008, 08:28 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Are you saying the time code drifted apart? At what point where they 1 full frame apart or how far apart where they after an hour.

I think drift is fare more of a concern than a constant offset which can be easily figured and fixed in post using Aux time code.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 10:11 AM   #23
Major Player

Craig,

That's too bad, thought you had a great and ingenious solution. Since they are based on the clock, I suspect that the internal clock is the weak link in the chain. Drift is common, and is why computers sychronize regularly to maintain time.

I suspect that a nice, precision Swiss timepiece would keep better time than my digital/analog watch which drifts up to a few seconds per day. On the other hand, my watch syncs itself to Denver three or four times per day (at night) so it is really never off by more than a couple seconds on any day of the year.

Your cameras held sync to within several frames over two days. If it is within a second or two per week, than it is pretty accurate as far as clocks go. Alas, not good enough for editing video!

You could always buy a pair of EX3's!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds