Time code sync at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 28th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #1
Major Player

Time code sync

Has anyone managed to sync time code between two EX1s?

Here's how I tried... I set my timecode to CLOCK on both cams and attempted to SET clocks on both cams at precisely the same time - but it's tricky and I wasn't accurate to the exact frame. Has anyone had success with this method or is there another method I'm not aware of?

If I can get the two cams accurate to the frame, the multicam editing in Final Cut will be even easier. Just take two clips, make multiclip & choose USE TIMECODE! No looking for a camera flash to get it exact. Gee that would be sweet. ok I'll shut up now.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 09:17 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Try setting the same preset timecode on both cameras (i.e. 01:00:00:00) then use the IR remote for one of the cameras to start them recording at the same time.

You'll need to set both EX1's right next to each other. I've done this in the past with some old VX-1000's with success. Not sure if Long GOP would present a problem, but its worth a test.

Forrest
Forrest Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 01:55 AM   #3
Major Player

Now there is a reason to get the (non)remotes/cameras fixed by Sony.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 07:20 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Bruce are you having problems with the remote too? Mine seems to have died. I thought maybe the battery just had an unusually short life (battery drain when not in use?).
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 07:40 AM   #5
Trustee

To be frame accurate over a 2 hour shoot, the internal clocks would have to be accurate to about 1 minute per year.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 08:14 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
To be frame accurate over a 2 hour shoot, the internal clocks would have to be accurate to about 1 minute per year.
That's an excellent point Tom - but how did you come up with that calculation!!! (I only need one hour of sync)

I guess I have to wonder if it's even possible? But then again, considering that they are the same clocks, inaccuracy may be common between the two? I'm guessing.

I will test starting a recording on both cams with one remote. That's a creative approach. Thanks for that one Forrest. I'll post my results later.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 08:24 AM   #7
Major Player

My remote has never been alive. Never checked further but perhaps Sony supply crappy Chinese batteries like the AAs in most TV remotes. Am very happy with the EX1 apart from that.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 08:24 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Terott View Post
- but how did you come up with that calculation!!!
1 frame (.016 secs) divided by 7200 seconds (2 hour shoot) multiplied times the number of seconds in a year
Old July 29th, 2008, 08:28 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Rawlings View Post
My remote has never been alive. Am very happy with the EX1 apart from that.
You have to enable it from the menu, and remove the polyethylene tab over the battery.
Old July 29th, 2008, 08:31 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
Hmmmm. I get 70.08 seconds per year. That's WELL over a minute per year. Let's try to be a little more accurate in the future, Tom. :-)
Ted OMalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #11
Inner Circle

You have to stand in front of the camera to use the remote. It's not clear in the manual. You also need to turn on IR, which goes back to off I believe every time you turn camera off and then on. I think it's meant for one person ENG crews (reporter is cameraperson).

Mine worked for a few days then stopped so I suspect some sort of battery issue. The annoying thing is that I'll have to buy a new batter to test. If it still fails, I'd probably have to return the remote to Sony (sheesh!). If they claim it works then it's the camera sensor.

I believe others have reported remote failure anecdotally but I haven't heard any pursuit or resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Rawlings View Post
My remote has never been alive. Am very happy with the EX1 apart from that.
Old July 29th, 2008, 09:58 AM   #12
Major Player

Craig,

If you have a camera with NightShot (or similar IR feature) you should be able to see the IR light come on, on the remote.

Also some TV's have a signal-led that just reacts of of the IR sensor, so point it at a TV like that and see if that light flashes.

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 10:31 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kroonder View Post
Craig,

If you have a camera with NightShot (or similar IR feature) you should be able to see the IR light come on, on the remote.

Also some TV's have a signal-led that just reacts of of the IR sensor, so point it at a TV like that and see if that light flashes.

George/
I frequently test remotes this way to be sure they are working, but I've never needed to look for a camera with any special IR features. I've always been able to see the IR on the viewfinder of the still or video camera (with the exception of a "true" viewfinder on an SLR camera that isn't an LCD). I used to do this with my old 8mm Sony Handycam back before electricity, too!
Ted OMalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 10:42 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Wow, a new use for my ancient Sony TRV-9 miniDV camera. It was the early version before Sony modified the NightShot . . . which did some interesting things when used during the daylight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kroonder View Post
Craig,

George/
Old July 29th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #15
Major Player

I have two EX1s in the system at the moment, one is fine with the remote fw1.05. The other fw 1.03 does not want to know about remote operation. Must say though that these camaras have revolutionised our production workflow. Still have HDCAM for really spectacular wide shots but the light weight EX1s for medium and close work are now speeding up shooting time. We mainly shoot botanical gardens and plants etc.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds