DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Back Pack suitable for the EX-3... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/127008-back-pack-suitable-ex-3-a.html)

Piotr Wozniacki August 7th, 2008 03:26 AM

Yes - and the Sony Vaio huge laptop, too!

Steve Cahill August 7th, 2008 04:21 AM

I always travel with the camera packed in a hard case as checked luggage. I do bring a soft case for arrival when on location. My thoughts on this are, that at any point in time the airlines may tell you no carry-on, then you are left with a bag that will not protect the camera as it gets loaded and unloaded from the plane.

Andy Wilkinson August 7th, 2008 04:32 AM

PMW-EX3 in a Petrol PWR-HDV Roller Bag

It might be relevant for me to post a link in here to some pics I posted on another thread a while back. This is how I pack my EX3. Only really room in the bag for spare batteries, shock mount, headphones and shotgun mic and a few ancillaries but it seems to work pretty well if you accept that limitation. The camera is really well protected and won't "rattle around" either. There is no room for my 15 inch MBP in this bag though.

Since this bag is airline style roller bag I assume it should be allowable as carry on with most airlines - please check though!

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=125033&page=2

Jon Braeley August 7th, 2008 06:32 AM

The Kata 502 is on the threshold for carry on baggage for sure. Continental seemed to think it was fine when I called them about it - see Ted's dimension table for the requirements.
It's black - it can go on wheels - or your back - a lot of this is in the way it looks as well.

I for one, would never check a camera. It never leaves my sight. Too risky - theft, lost luggage and damage are just the beginning of what could be a nightmare. Last November I went to the Good-Luck Beijing Games at the Olympic stadium and my checked bags went missing with all my batteries, tripod etc. I did have my cam and one mic, so I shot hand-held for just one hour until everything ran out. I was lucky to get anything.

My 15" MacBook Pro fits easily in the 502, so I think a 17" would make it. So does all my accessories and even some spare underwear - but then the bag does start to feel heavy.
It's all what you need it for. I am planning a really tough trip later this year - even wheels would be useless where I am going.

Attila Cser August 7th, 2008 07:38 AM

Thanks guys

Atti

Andy Wilkinson August 7th, 2008 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Braeley (Post 917603)
.....even some spare underwear - but then the bag does start to feel heavy......

Wow, that's some seriously heavy underware you must have!

:-)

Great thred guys. I for one was quite surprised at just how much larger/bulkier the EX3 is over the EX1. It really is a lot more of a challenge to pack. Looks blummin good when you get it out and start shooting though!

Steve Cahill August 8th, 2008 08:03 AM

I thought I would try the The Kata 502 nice bag ,but the straps do not fit well for backpacking it. Anyone else with this issue.

Bryan Shelley August 8th, 2008 03:05 PM

I have had the 502 for a couple of years as one of my bags for my HD100, and I love it. I'm selling the portabrace with the JVC and keeping the Kata because it's so versatile.

You can most certainly get a 17" laptop in it. I carry my 17" Mac in it all the time.

I agree with Steve that depending how it's loaded the straps can make the bag feel odd, but you can get use to it.

I have had only one problem with getting it on a plane in the US. They let me on with it but it wouldn't fit under the seat or in the overhead of the smaller jet we were on. luckily the flight wasn't full and it became another passenger. With the fewer flights these days and tighter restrictions I might not use it as much for air travel. I suppose that if you are asked to check at the gate that you could remove the camera and hand check the bag. I've had to do this in the past with other bags on occasion. I wouldn't worry about the stuff left in the bag during this situation as this bag is very well padded. In fact it's the strongest bag I've seen apart from a hard case.

Kata really does make a great bag.

I'm really glad to hear that the EX3 fits in the 502. Now I just need to get one to put in mine.

Ted OMalley August 8th, 2008 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan Shelley (Post 918270)
I'm really glad to hear that the EX3 fits in the 502. Now I just need to get one to put in mine.

And I just need a 502 for my EX3 - Sounds a little like a Reeses' commercial!

Bryan Shelley August 8th, 2008 03:39 PM

Ted, thanks now I want a peanut buttercup. Your welcome to send me your camera to put in my bag for safe keeping. I promise I won't use it to much. :~}

Ted OMalley August 8th, 2008 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan Shelley (Post 918279)
Ted, thanks now I want a peanut buttercup. Your welcome to send me your camera to put in my bag for safe keeping. I promise I won't use it to much. :~}

Wow, really? Thanks for the offer! ;-)

Steve Bransford August 12th, 2008 08:30 AM

portable tripod for EX3 and 502 pack?

Jon or whoever else uses the EX3 with the Kata 502 pack,

If you put a small, lightweight tripod in the 502 pack, which one do you use? I have a large, sturdy tripod for studio use and interviews but am looking for a portable tripod that can be put directly into the 502 bag. A fluid head would be great but is not totally necessary, as most of the shots with the EX3 backpack setup will be static outdoor shots.

Mike Chandler August 12th, 2008 09:31 AM

Has anyone tried either of these two Petrol bags for the EX3:
PCBP-3N or
PCTB-3
http://www.petrolbags.com/

They're a little smaller than the 502 and look like they have the depth to work.

Mike Chandler August 12th, 2008 09:35 AM

Looks like the first one is too shallow, but the second could work and is two inches shorter and narrower than the 502.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Backpack.html

Jon Braeley August 12th, 2008 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Bransford (Post 919573)
Jon or whoever else uses the EX3 with the Kata 502 pack,

If you put a small, lightweight tripod in the 502 pack, which one do you use? I have a large, sturdy tripod for studio use and interviews but am looking for a portable tripod that can be put directly into the 502 bag. A fluid head would be great but is not totally necessary, as most of the shots with the EX3 backpack setup will be static outdoor shots.

I doubt that even a small tripod will fit inside the Kata-502, not if you have accessories as well as the EX-3. With no accessories I guess a small (note:micro) tripod can go in the side compartment.
There is a tripod holder that comes with the bag. This is like a strong pouch that attaches to the side with velcro and adjustable straps - it will work for moderate sized tripods. I use the Miller Solo legs with DS-20 head, but it will not really work attached to the bag - tends to overbalance with the weight.