DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Back Pack suitable for the EX-3... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/127008-back-pack-suitable-ex-3-a.html)

John Peterson June 23rd, 2009 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Massey (Post 1162279)
Thanks.
the Karachi is similar but I noticed some differences in the overall design.
It might very well also work with the ex3 but I can't say.
What I liked about the European version of the zoomiverse is the really flexible compartment dividers which don't seem to be added with the Karachi version. they really help with space efficiency (having my mics under the lcd hood as well as an inner closed compartment for the batteries) and extra added protection for the view finder.
Also the waist belt came with my backpack and with the karchai it is an optional accessory.
here are some more shots :)

I don't think there is another Crumpler bag available here in the States that is as close a match to the "Zoomiverse" than the "Karachi". It's dimensions are identical. When I converted centimeters to inches they matched. 38cm x 56cm x 30cm = 15" x 22" x 12". There is no place to buy a Zoomiverse here in the States as far as I could find.
Not sure about the price difference. Some places in Britain seem to be selling the bag awfully cheap. For example:

£62.00 Here: Crumpler Zoomiverse | Backpacks | Camera Bags | World of Bags
Plus VAT I assume.
That's around $101 USD. Is that for real? The cheapest price I could find for the Karachi was around $250 USD here in the States.

Here is a review of the Karachi:

http://the-gadgeteer.com/2005/11/28/...post_backpack/

John

Steve Benjamin June 24th, 2009 01:29 PM

Thanks Jonathon its exactly what I was looking for so just ordered one.

Jonathan Massey June 25th, 2009 06:21 AM

John, I think the reason the zoomiverse is sold so cheap it's because here in Europe Crumpler came out with a newer model to replace it. It's called the Big Cheese. It's similar in size but the way it's built seems to me not so optimal for the EX3.
The reason the EX3 fits nicely in the Zoomiverse is because the curved back of the Ex3 fits nicely with the curved top part of the backpack but it gets deeper in the lower part of the bag. In the Big Cheese it's similar but they gave up on a lot of the extra compartments in order to create a second access for the camera. If I have time perhaps I'll check it out in a Crumpler shop.

Glad I could help with your choice Steve and hope it works well for you as it does fro me.

Joachim Hoge June 30th, 2009 02:54 PM

I´ve used the Kata 207 with my Ex-3 for 6 months or so and altough it´s a tight fit and I have to take the viewfinder off, I carry a lot of spear parts in there, MBP 15, Nikor zoom lens, wireless mics charger batteries etc.

I had the Kata 502 for my XL-H1, but I was only once allowed to take it on the plane and I really had to push hard to get it in.

I travel a lot so this is important to me. I also do a lot of hiking and randonee/skiing with my camera so I need a tight fit. The Kata´s are great in this respect.

I even did it with the 502 quite a lot.
Depending on your needs, both these backpacks are good, but I´m still looking for the perfect one

Dave Tyrer July 18th, 2009 04:11 AM

Has anyone used one of these at all? I says it is suitable for an EX3.

CineBags - Life on Location

Mike Chandler July 18th, 2009 07:24 AM

Some references to it here: The EX-3 "Which Bag?" dilemma may be answered... - The Digital Video Information Network

Think someone got one and returned it as a bit too small for the viewfinder.

Dave Tyrer July 18th, 2009 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Chandler (Post 1173310)
Some references to it here: The EX-3 "Which Bag?" dilemma may be answered... - The Digital Video Information Network

Think someone got one and returned it as a bit too small for the viewfinder.

Oh well back to square one! I have a Tamrac Expedition 8 that mine fits into no problem, with enough room for a Nikon 200-400 so I may use that untill someone finds something better.

Ed Kukla July 18th, 2009 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Tyrer (Post 1173405)
Oh well back to square one! I have a Tamrac Expedition 8 that mine fits into no problem, with enough room for a Nikon 200-400 so I may use that untill someone finds something better.

why do you want to replace the tamrac?

Dave Tyrer July 19th, 2009 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Kukla (Post 1173460)
why do you want to replace the tamrac?

Ed it's a little oversize re hand baggage regulations when flying.

Dave

Ed Kukla July 19th, 2009 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Tyrer (Post 1173570)
Ed it's a little oversize re hand baggage regulations when flying.

Dave

Ahh, got it. that is important to me too. hopefully somebody is working to perfect the ex-3 backpack.

Ed Kukla July 20th, 2009 03:54 PM

there was talk on this thread about removing the viewfinder. Sounded like a big chore, not suited for many do-it-yourselfers.

But, what about removing the limit on the pivot of the viewfinder. If the viewfinder could swing down another inch it would get lower in profile and make things a bit easier.

Removal would be best, but could this be done easier as a modest compromise?

Dave Tyrer July 21st, 2009 03:44 AM

I tried in my Lowepro Vertex 200, but I would have to remove the shoulder pad...not an issue really, but the Vertex 300 may do the job and it's a bit shorter than the Tamrac Expedition 8.

Dave Tyrer July 23rd, 2009 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Tyrer (Post 1174363)
I tried in my Lowepro Vertex 200, but I would have to remove the shoulder pad...not an issue really, but the Vertex 300 may do the job and it's a bit shorter than the Tamrac Expedition 8.

Actually I just worked out las night if I take the lens shade off and just put a generic 77mm lens cap on the front it will fit in the Vertex 200, without having to remove the should pad. A bit of a squeeze on the viewfinder though!

Jeremy Hugues July 26th, 2009 04:36 AM

I broke the mike holder when taking the EX3 out of the Kata 195

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone,

I enter this discussion because last night I broke the mike holder of my EX3 out the my Kata 195 bag. I had already 10 hours of shooting walking across a city (touristic film for the town) and was tired I admit. It was in the dark and had to shoot part of a piano concert in a parc. When I pulled out the EX3 out of the bag, the mike holder got stuck and stayed in the bag. Of course I should have been more careful but the part is very fragile plastic.
Now I am looking for a replacement such as this: DM-Accessories - EX-FLAT - Shoe Mounts for Sony EX1 & EX3 Camcorders
Anyone with similar break and solid replacement solution?

Steve Cahill July 26th, 2009 07:52 AM

DM is good repacement for broken mic holder. I did the same and purchased DM. Works great.