Microphone Mounts - EX1 vs. EX3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 31st, 2008, 06:25 AM   #1
Major Player

Microphone Mounts - EX1 vs. EX3

From everything that I've read on the formums (and there are a lot of posts here, so forgive me if I missed something), it has been indicated that the mic mount design of the EX3 has not changed - that it will have the same weaknesses as the EX1.

Since I have never owned an EX1 and my EX3 is not due until tomorrow, I really wouldn't know. However, I have compared some very similar high-res pictures online and it seems that there has been a significant redesign.

In the cropped images below, the EX3 mic mount seems to be an additional 1/4" thicker at it's base - which is where I presumed the weak spot was. I know the angles are slightly different, but behind the shoe, where the controls are, they seem quite different.

Can any EX3 owners that have owned or do own an EX1 confirm or deny this? I'm thinking that a short shotgun on the EX3 may not require removal and redesign of the mic mount system. Maybe I can just add the Rode SM5 and my NG-1 and that's all. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Microphone Mounts - EX1 vs. EX3-ex1.jpg   Microphone Mounts - EX1 vs. EX3-ex3.jpg  

Microphone Mounts - EX1 vs. EX3-rode-sm5.gif  
Ted OMalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 07:13 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
From everything that I've read on the formums (and there are a lot of posts here, so forgive me if I missed something), it has been indicated that the mic mount design of the EX3 has not changed - that it will have the same weaknesses as the EX1.

Since I have never owned an EX1 and my EX3 is not due until tomorrow, I really wouldn't know. However, I have compared some very similar high-res pictures online and it seems that there has been a significant redesign.

In the cropped images below, the EX3 mic mount seems to be an additional 1/4" thicker at it's base - which is where I presumed the weak spot was. I know the angles are slightly different, but behind the shoe, where the controls are, they seem quite different.

Can any EX3 owners that have owned or do own an EX1 confirm or deny this? I'm thinking that a short shotgun on the EX3 may not require removal and redesign of the mic mount system. Maybe I can just add the Rode SM5 and my NG-1 and that's all. Any thoughts?
I'm sitting in front of both EX-1 and EX-3 right now and don't see a bit of difference.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 08:07 AM   #3
Major Player

From those photos, it appears that the EX3's base simply sits slightly higher than the one on the EX1 (or vice versa) thereby making the base look thicker, no?
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 08:13 AM   #4
Major Player

I've been viewing some additional photos and I think I'm coming to that conclusion. Probably the controls sit lower on the EX3 because the the LCD doesn't have to fit underneath it.
Old July 31st, 2008, 08:18 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
I've been viewing some additional photos and I think I'm coming to that conclusion. Probably the controls sit lower on the EX3 because the the LCD doesn't have to fit underneath it.
I really do not see any difference... and both cameras are right in front of me.

The one difference with the EX-3, however, is that the end of the lens hood is about another inch beyond the end of the built in mike-- meaning it will be easier to mount matteboxes.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 02:11 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Are these mounted the same way they mount on the PD-170 ??? ( two screws )
Ray Bell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds