EX-3 ... Your first impression? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 10th, 2008, 06:14 AM   #16
Inner Circle

I think you would be surprised as to how much of the EX3 body is actually metal. The paint has a few scratches and marks on mine (it get a lot of rough use) and they all show bright shiny metal. A lot of it feels like plastic but is in fact metal.
I think the mic holder was deliberatly made so that it would break off if bumped. This prevents another part of the camera or tyhe mic itself from getting damaged. The viewfinder brackets on the full size sony cameras are all designed to break if you bash the viewfinder. This prevents the viewfinder getting smashed and has saved me a lot of money in the past.
Old October 10th, 2008, 07:01 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Erik, there is a playback speaker on the EX3.
If you play back a clip turn up the volume you will hear it.
It is located under the handle at the rear.

Oh and I love my EX3!
Mark Twittey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 08:27 AM   #18
Major Player

Hey thanks guys I will check it out... Hey I did some experiments last night. I tried all the various record formats to see if there was a difference in low light. One of the things I will be doing with this camera is some near pitch black shoots... only lit by the headlights of ATVs and Sand Rails. I found 1080 30p had the brightest picture and the least amount of grain when using high gain. Second was 720 30p. I was surprised at how much difference there was in the amount of grain when using some of the other modes, 1080 60i had the darkest picture and by far the most graininess.

1080 30p I could use 12db and the picture was still pretty nice, 1080 60i at 12db was a washed out grainy mess and darker. :)

Very nice, I love this camera.
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds