Water Spots on Sensors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 2nd, 2008, 06:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Water Spots on Sensors

I saw some spots when I was messing around with shallow focus, that look like water spots on the chips... as the lense and filters are as clean as I can get them.... and I do not see anything in the lense.. very similar to my Nikon D100 when shooting in the Caribbean where condensation could form. Anyone else have this problem? I shot 10 days in Hawaii and had the camera overhalled at Sony.

Under normal shooting the focus would not be shallow enough to see this, but it still bothers me...
Greg Voevodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 05:02 AM   #2
Tourist

Confirmation

I can confirm that indeed, my EX1 also had the same issue. I would equate the spots, however, to dust on the sensors, similar to something you would see with a digital SLR.

I was still within the return period from the retailer, and will receive my replacement EX1 tomorrow.

Until I read about yoru camera, Greg, I thought this would be a one-time isolated issue, but it seems like this could be on ongoing problem.

I sent Sony engineers test footage from my EX1, and they confirmed that it did look like dust on the sensor. Considering that the EX1 is a closed lens system, one would wonder how this could happen. I just hope the replacement camera is dust free.
Carl Pressman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 11:27 AM   #3
Major Player

The same thing happened to me Carl. I had big chunks of junk on my sensor. It was visible only at full wide angle position and when the lens was stopped down. I'm now on my third lens with my EX1. Good luck with yours.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 12:39 PM   #4
New Boot

I just bought an EX3 recently and am very pleased with it except that I also have what appears to be a speck of dust (or water spot) on the sensor (or maybe lens?). Noticeable only in darker areas of the picture and at stopped down, wide angles as well.

Being that the lens is removable on the EX3, I was wondering if it was wise to blow compressed air in there to maybe remove it. Hopefully this isn't something I have to send in for repair.

Otherwise it's an awesome camera.
Christopher Dye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Do not blow compressed air into the camera... you could end up with moisture,oil or damaged parts...

There are sensor cleaning kits available on the net, you should also get a good bulb blower
for blowing off the sensor... I keep mine in a plastic bag so the blower won't get dust in it.
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 08:00 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Here's a popular sight amongst the SLR folks for cleaning sensors....

This page also shows the rocket blower.. there are tutorials also on this site...

http://www.copperhillimages.com/inde..._Hill_Products
Ray Bell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds