EX3 and the Anton-Bauer Gold Mount - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 21st, 2008, 08:12 AM   #16
Major Player

In case you are interested...

I've been speaking with Bebob in Germany about this. They actually had already begun designing a battery mount for the EX3. In a conversation I had with Pierre this morning, he indicated that by Monday he should be able to provide an availability date and pricing.

So, hold on to your AB and IDX batteries and wireless receivers just a little longer - there is a solution coming soon! It should handle either battery, have a spot for a receiver, and have several power taps for lights, etc.
Old August 21st, 2008, 09:01 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Ted.

A problem with the JVC I am sure you are aware of, is the added stress of the battery mass on the camera structure which loosens the JVC carry handle and can loosen or shear those little top screws.

Your solution is more robust through having wider spacing between screw centres but with the screws bedded into plastic casework, a decent thump may rock the screws in their holes and crack the casework.

With the JVC, I have used some dobs of non hardening white silicone bathroom sealer around out edges of the dummy battery insert and two small very thin patches of contact adhesive where the threaded pillars butt up beneath the upper fold of the JVC V-mount battery support.

Non-hardening sealer would provide considerable added resistance against your sheetmetal sliding under impact and sideloading the two lower screws, but will tear way if you need to take the battery mount off. The right-hand lower screw will be particularly vulnerable with the left screw and upper anchor point being natural pivot points in a rear impact.

Given a recent report of failure of the internal lower metal frame of a Z1 from handle carries with heavy objects attached to the tripod mount, I would be inclined to examine the making of a support plate. It would reach from the existing tripod mount as one attachment point, back to your proposed battery mount and include its own tripod mount holes, small and large while you are about it and also at a better balance point.

Don't take too much notice of me. I am a bit of a nitpicker. Otherwise, good work.

Last edited by Bob Hart; August 21st, 2008 at 09:11 AM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 12:59 PM   #18
Major Player

Actually, I've been looking into just that for an entirely different set of reasons. I really want a shoulder brace with counterweight, and this device will be attached to the tripd mount, and provide it's own tripod mount further back.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 11:09 AM   #19
New Boot

Hi Ted, I know nothing about electricity and I was afraid to use my Swit battery S-8160A 14.4V 190Wh on my EX1. It is a very long lasting battery - even on my previously owned JVC DV-500 it would run for 9 hrs. So on EX1 I believe it will run even longer. I don't need my battery last that long for the camera but I have a Swit SC-2000 sungun as well and in this case sungun will use battery power when I need it. My question to you - can I safely use my
Swit battery with EX1? Thanks in advance.
Slava Kouznetsov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 12:12 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
Actually, I've been looking into just that for an entirely different set of reasons. I really want a shoulder brace with counterweight, and this device will be attached to the tripd mount, and provide it's own tripod mount further back.
I have long been a user and fan of the DVMultirig Pro and it actually works quite nicely with the EX3. It certainly would be possible to mount an A-B (or V-mount, for that matter) on the multirig and just extend a cable to the DC-in. I would have some definite concerns about this and would feel much more confident having the power secured by locking XLR rather than by gaffers tape. My true idea remains some kind of on-camera mount, which is why I would love to see your mount go commercial.

This is the principle behind the A-B stasis shoulder rig.

But having shot my HVX with firewire cable dangling to the Firestore mounted to the DVMultiRig, I really prefer a solution which keeps battery on camera even if it must connect to the AC-in.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 10:17 AM   #21
Major Player

Ted--looks like AB liked your work...
Anton/Bauer Introduces Battery Mount for Sony PMW-EX3 | HD/Studio
Mike Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #22
Major Player

Must drive Sony nuts when they go to all the trouble of ripping us off only to have someone find a way around it.. LOL
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Chandler View Post
Yeah, that's funny. It is nearly identical to what I build and am currently using! What can I say, it's a good design. Great minds... LOL!
Old October 15th, 2008, 09:22 PM   #24
Major Player

ted 16.8

Hi ted, my battery (AB) when tested puts out 16.8vt fully charged, is that the same as yours, just worried about conecting it to the camera. EX3

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 09:55 PM   #25
Major Player

Mine reads 16.9 when fully charged. I've never had any problems with it. There is more information about this here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/816766-post7.html

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds