Tripod Fixing on EX3 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 4th, 2008, 09:11 AM   #46
Major Player

I read this thread with much interest. It confirms my observation that Sony has designed EX3 with creatures like the Humpback of the Notre Dame in mind.
When I tried EX3 first, I was not able to find a comfortable position.
I remember one car mechanic guy once fiddling with something under my car: "If I can reach it, I can't see it, if I can see it, I can't reach it." As if he predicted the coming of the EX3.

In any position the viewfinder was so far from my eyes that I was wondering whether a gorilla should be hired to operate this unit.

I worry once I will buy EX3, soon after that Sony will come out with a new version, suitable to human body and I will have nothing left but my back pain and some swearing.
Old October 4th, 2008, 09:42 AM   #47
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsolt Gordos View Post
I read this thread with much interest. It confirms my observation that Sony has designed EX3 with creatures like the Humpback of the Notre Dame in mind.
The test subject/guinea pig that I hired for testing the new mount always struck me as a bit odd. Now that I am looking at his job application, I see the problem. I can't believe the name "Quasimodo" didn't 'ring a bell' sooner.

Back to the drawing board...

;-)
Old October 9th, 2008, 05:46 AM   #48
Major Player

Any progress with this yet? I'm just about to order a VCT14 adapter plate from here True Lens Services Ltd Matte Box Support Systems & Accessiories

But wondered if you were even close to a better solution.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 08:01 AM   #49
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
Any progress with this yet? I'm just about to order a VCT14 adapter plate from here True Lens Services Ltd Matte Box Support Systems & Accessiories

Dan
I'm awaiting receipt of a part that will be immediately sent to the fabricator once received. Following this, we still have fabrication and testing. I wish I could provide an ETA, but I'd guess that since it is almost mid-Oct now, this could take until late Nov or early Dec. (six to eight weeks?).

That adapter plate looks nice, but I'd be careful with it as the only fastening point to the camera is the 1/4-20 threads on the base of the camera, and that piece is held in place by four eyeglass screws. It is a bit of a weak point.
Old October 9th, 2008, 08:56 AM   #50
Major Player

Thanks for the update, have you got an idea of price yet? and will it have a bars interface? did you decide to offer it with a V- lock battery plate? I might hang on if it is going to be the killer solution.

Dan
Old October 9th, 2008, 09:33 AM   #51
Major Player

Dan,

My goal is twice the product, half the price. I felt this was after awaiting the VFGadets solution (available now). That would bring this product in around or under $300 - so far, so good.

Generation one will probably be very simplified - plate provided for mounting any solution you choose. I imagine that many will want optional AB, IDX, Switronix, etc. solutions provided and that may very well be prodided later. However, to keep engineering more simple, it will simply have a plate upon which you can mount any solution you choose. I have an Anton-Bauer setup already, so I simly removed the plate and mounted it myself to a sample. I'm sure we can provide sources for AB or IDX mounting plates that you can purchase and affix, plus add a pigtail for DC power or use the D-Tap.
Old October 9th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #52
Major Player

Mitcorp ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post

Dan
If you go direct to Mitcorp you can get the VCT14 adapter plate for 85 pounds. This vendor is quite expensive.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #53
Major Player

Yeah, TLS is actually the manufacturer, but they charge more than Mitcorp. Problem is I wanted to add a custom bars mount, which only TLS can do. More I think about it though I think I'm going to wait a bit and see what Ted can come up with.
Old October 15th, 2008, 02:54 PM   #54
Major Player

Teetering

Used my EX3/Letus/Zeiss fully loaded yesterday and admit to being more than a little worried about the tender nature of the single-screw attachement.

Seriously thinking of biting yet another financial bullet and springing for that vfgadgets EX3 plate before I regret it.

At least my free 8GB SxS card finally came.

Phooey.
Justin Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 04:29 PM   #55
Trustee

We've got one EX1 with a mounting plate that's starting to work loose. It might be unwise to assume the problem is limited to just the EX3.
What I'm concerned about is that I tried tightening the 4 screws down but couldn't get a solid bite. I'm in no hurry to pull an EX1 apart to find out just what the screws screw into but it certainly doesn't feel solid or else the threads have been stripped.
I should point at that these are cameras in rental where it's pretty much 'dog years'. Still even if it's your own kit it'd be worth regularly checking those little screws. We have a similar thing happen with the Z1s however with those it's just the screws working loose and I can tighten them down and get them to bite with the appropriate torque.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 04:57 PM   #56
Major Player

Bonding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
We've got one EX1 with a mounting plate that's starting to work loose. It might be unwise to assume the problem is limited to just the EX3.
What I'm concerned about is that I tried tightening the 4 screws down but couldn't get a solid bite. I'm in no hurry to pull an EX1 apart to find out just what the screws screw into but it certainly doesn't feel solid or else the threads have been stripped.
I should point at that these are cameras in rental where it's pretty much 'dog years'. Still even if it's your own kit it'd be worth regularly checking those little screws. We have a similar thing happen with the Z1s however with those it's just the screws working loose and I can tighten them down and get them to bite with the appropriate torque.
I wonder if it's worth adding a little cement or bonding agent to the threads and screwing in again? Would that void the warranty?

Jus.
Justin Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 05:42 PM   #57
Trustee

At this time, the tripod mounting plate on my EX1 seems okay. I think it should remain okay if a couple of precautions are taken.

1.) Don't overtighten the 1/4-20 screw.
2.) Don't lift the tripod from the camera handle.

We'll see...
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 09:02 PM   #58
Regular Crew

2/3" lenses on EX-3

Don't glue the screws as the repair technician will have problems fixing it.
The only way to minimize the mounting screw issue is to get a plate that is anchored on the bottom and the rear of the camera. This creates a secure multi-point grip. Joe Sutherland (www.joesutherland.com) needed to protect his EX-3s rental cameras from damage so he had Precision Camera Inc. (www.pci-canada.com) fabricate camera mounts because these cameras would have a heavier load factor on the tripod screw mount. His prototypes will be replaced with the black anodized versions. The plates are well made and are available at www.vfgadgets.com A soft gel pad can be Velcroed to the shoulder mount and the camera can be clicked into a camera plate. These photos tell the story.
Attached Thumbnails
Tripod Fixing on EX3-anodized.jpg   Tripod Fixing on EX3-chroziel.jpg  

Tripod Fixing on EX3-followfocussetup.jpg   Tripod Fixing on EX3-videotransmitter.jpg  

Tripod Fixing on EX3-ex-3platebottom.jpg  
Peter Mykusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 04:49 AM   #59
Trustee

Peter,
that's great for the EX3 but there's no extra holes in the EX1. We're open to suggestions as to how to improve the securing of the EX1 to a release plate.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 05:48 AM   #60
Major Player

Peter,

The VF plate with the extra options sure does look like a good solution. Do you know what V-lock battery plate is show on the pictures and what connector it uses with the EX3? It looks smaller than an IDX or Swit plate, I've been looking for something similar. Also, does it have a d-tap outlet too?

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds