Tripod Fixing on EX3 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 22nd, 2008, 11:05 AM   #61
Inner Circle

If you use a matte box with a clamp ring plus a set of matte box rails you end up supporting the camera by bot the lens and base. This will make the camera more stable and reduce the stress on the tripod fixing. You can pick up suitable matte boxes and rails from many vendors including some remarkably cheap, yet effective rails made for the JVC HD100 that work very well with the EX1/3 from an Indian ebay seller.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 11:24 AM   #62
Major Player

I've got the Red Rock micro shoulder support system and the Cinevate rails system along with a mattebox, both work fine with the EX3 for 35mm adapter use. Thing is I want a simple solution for run and gun that is robust, has a vct type plate, v-lock battery option and yet is as compact as possible, the VF type solution seems to fit the bill.
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 12:05 AM   #63
Tourist

ex 3 bottom tripod mounting base

I already have the problem with my ex 3. Tripod mounting base plate( small plate at the bottom) of ex 3 has come out a little. I got Sony NZ to inspect it and they say that the inner housing of the camera is cracked and has to be replaced. which will cost me a quite a sum. Its still within the warranty period i.e one year. I will have to talk to sony agent in Singapore as I bought this in Singapore.
Sunil Gunaratne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 12:40 AM   #64
Inner Circle

Hi guys.............

Just a bit of light humour, a document I sent to the Vitec Group a while ago on this very subject............

This is such a travesty, I cannot believe the camera manufacturers still think they can get away with it.

CS
Attached Files
File Type: doc A Brief History of the screw.doc (23.5 KB, 510 views)
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 05:31 AM   #65
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Just a bit of light humour, a document I sent to the Vitec Group a while ago on this very subject............

This is such a travesty, I cannot believe the camera manufacturers still think they can get away with it.

CS
Whilst quite an amusing read in all fairness to Mr Sole and his heirs the problem isn't the 1/4" bolt. The problem is what it's holding onto the tripod release plate and how it's connected to the rest of the camera. Worse, this isn't the only Sony camera with the same problem. Several of our fleet of HC7s also suffered because the same plate is barely held onto anything solid within the camera. In part the diecast plate is afixed to the plastic housing which after a fair amount of use cracks.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 01:39 AM   #66
Inner Circle

Hi Bob...........

Nah, this is directly caused by putting too much stress (and equally little support) on a totally inadequate support system.

Granted, Sony seems to have fired any engineers who can actually work out stress loads and such, but the fact that they'd even consider putting such a camera on a tripod with such a pathetic attachment is just criminal.

My beef is that this is industry wide (tho' other camera manufacturers don't seem to be quite as wanton on the skrimp front as Sony).

There simply is no need for this rubbish.

This is NOT rocket science.

These are HD cameras, Cinemascope in miniature if you like - who'd ever dream of attaching one of those cameras to it's support with one poxy 25 cent 1/4" screw?

It simply beggars belief that ANY camera manufacturer thinks they can do this.

The fact they are not all over Vitec asking for a better system is so scary as to be, er, scary.

At the moment there appears to be a standoff - the camera manufacturers will not address the problem, the support people won't raise the subject because it throws their entire SD equipment range(s) straight out the window (where, incidently, it's going anyway).

What an absolute bloody shambles.

I live in hope.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 02:58 AM   #67
Trustee

Point taken Chris, you are right about this and Sony should be wrapped on the knuckles for it.

However, the camera does have a lot of advanced technology and given it's price point it does still represent excellent value for money. My advice to any EX3 owner would be to invest in something like the DM shoulder mount DM-Accessories - EX3-SHOULDER Shoulder Brace For EX3 Camcorders At $300 it does provide a lot of peace of mind and provides extra sturdiness.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds