Black Balance? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 3rd, 2008, 08:31 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Black Balance?

Anybody know how to black balance the EX1? The white balance is just a simple push of the button...but I've heard that black balance must be done in the "maintenance menu". How do you get into the maintenance menu?....and can you actually black balance this camera?

Thanks in advance

Steve
Steve Minnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 10:58 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Thanks to George/

...the maintenance menu. Press and hold MENU and CANCEL on the rear of the camera, then press SEL/SET to access.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 02:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks...amazing that you can't find that in the manual!
Steve Minnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 08:50 AM   #4
Inner Circle

To those who have their EX1 firmware updated to v. 1.11:

Is the Black Balance item active in the hidden maintenance menu? With my current fw (1.02), it's there, but grayed out...
Old September 4th, 2008, 02:06 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
To those who have their EX1 firmware updated to v. 1.11:

Is the Black Balance item active in the hidden maintenance menu? With my current fw (1.02), it's there, but grayed out...
My version 1.05 has it.
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 05:57 AM   #6
Major Player

OK, so if you perform a White Balance, then turn on the Black Balance in the maintainance menu, will the camera shut down the Iris and perform the Black Balance?

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 08:10 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Minnick View Post
Thanks...amazing that you can't find that in the manual!
Umm, that's because you, the end user, are not supposed to be in the maintenance menus in the first place. Black balancing is one item though that I feel should be in the user menu area if not activated by a switch. It's not needed as frequently as white balancing.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 08:14 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Greg, we discussed this option elsewhere (for the EX3); what are the most typical circumstances when you _would_ run the auto Black Balance procedure?
Old September 6th, 2008, 08:24 AM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Greg, we discussed this option elsewhere (for the EX3); what are the most typical circumstances when you _would_ run the auto Black Balance procedure?
Its main purpose is to eliminate any residual current being output from the pixel sites under conditions of complete darkness... often referred to as thermal noise. That's why the camera will automatically close the iris completely when it does the black balance.

Conditions under which you may want to black balance are typically when the camera experiences a large change in operating temperature... especially from colder to warmer. Otherwise, it is a periodic thing to allow for other minor factors that could come into play.

Here's something that just occurred to me though. With CMOS sensor technology, black balancing may not be as necessary as it is with CCD type devices. We all talk about how clean and relatively noise free CMOS sensors are by design so this may have played into the decision to make it a maintenance menu item on the EX.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 05:33 AM   #10
Regular Crew

EX1 / EX3 black blance

Does anyone know if there is a black blance on the EX cameras anywhere?

I don't mean any of the gamma altering functions I mean a true and proper black balance similar to the white balance?
Matt San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 07:36 AM   #11
Vortex Media

The EX3 has an auto black balance function that can be executed from the menus. It is the first sub-menu on the Camera Set menu page.

However, the EX3 (and I assume the EX1) automatically performs a black balance everytime you turn it on, so it would be unusual to ever need to use this menu control.
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:23 AM   #12
Trustee

Have never done a manual black balance on an EX but I have messed one up on another camera. Make certain the iris is closed or better yet, put a lens cap on. Any light leaking into the sensor can result in some funky results after doing a black balance.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 12:46 AM   #13
Major Player

Auto BLK Balance & FB Adjust greyed out with v1.11_0531

i had a back focus problem today on set with a rented EX3 as B-camera. this made wonder about my own EX1 and its own Back Focus. when looking in the maintenance menu i became aware that the "Auto FB Adjust" and "Auto BLK Balance" were greyed out. has anyone with v1.11_0531 had success adjusting one or both of these procedures?
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 10:30 AM   #14
Trustee

What I've noticed on my Ex-1 is that the black balance in preset seems off on vectorscope and I can't correct it with a manual black balance.

In fact my whole color balance in preset is way off to the magenta and no tweaks in the PP menus can correct it. Its too bad because I generally like to use preset. My friends Ex-1 doesn't have this issue. I can perfectly match the preset look with a white balance through 3/8 Green + 1/8 CTB but can't get near it with the phase or color shift or matrix adjustments.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 01:36 AM   #15
Major Player

that really sucks, but wait are you saying that you have the option to perform a "manual" black balance?
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds