EX1 and Panasonic HDC-TM900 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 19th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EX1 and Panasonic HDC-TM900

Hi guys,

A Panny TM900 has become available as a B-cam to my EX1. Anyone had any experience of trying to match these cams? Any tips with picture profiles or settings?

Any info much appreciated.

Thanks
Darren Ruddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 05:25 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: EX1 and Panasonic HDC-TM900

Not with the TM900 but with SD700 which I believe has the same front end. I did a 3 camera shoot with EX1, Canon XH A1 and the SD700, I had more trouble matching the EX1 with XH A1 than the SD 700, in fact the EX1 and the SD700 were very close regarding colours but you will find that the EX1 is much better in low light than the Panasonic which go from very sharp clear pictures in daylight to quite soft indoors with low light.
My situation was with stage lighting so there was no problem, in fact I'm doing the same venue this week but this time with an EX1, EX1R and SD700 which is locked off at wide angle.
Mick
Mick Mearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 05:39 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I used the TM7000 and EX1r in a studio environment. On the TM700, you need to stay away from Panny's digital cinema mode. It did things with saturation that made it impossible to match the EX1r. The AVCHD doesn't hold up to well in post so shoot the highest datarate as possible which if I recall, is the 1080p60 mode. It will be an adequate b-cam. Nothing spectacular IMHO. YMMV
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 09:43 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys,

I use Final Cut 7 so am seeing how that handles the footage and using Color to tweak See what results I can get
Darren Ruddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #5
Inner Circle

You'll have to jump through a couple of hoops to get 1080p50 into FCP7. One of the reasons I switched to Adobe Premier CS 5.5 Production Premium which handles my TM900 and EX3 footage natively, and with ease using all the power, cores and RAM this Mac Pro has.

As already stated these 2 cams cut together remarkably well/have a fairly similar "look" in good light - but when the light gets low the EX3 is in a different league!
Old January 24th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Lots of folk have paired off the EX1 and the SD900 quite successfully, but Andy's right about the low-light capabilities. Not at all surprising: half inch chips vs less than quarter inch chips. No contest.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds