EX1 Firmware Updates - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 5th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #16
Major Player

I am also flabbergasted by the fact that Sony in the US and Canada are actually charging for the firmware update!
I just had my camera in for the upgrade and several other fixes here in europe and I have to say that I was impressed that it all took just one week and that Sony paid for everything including shipping. Isn't silver support supposed to work the same way worldwide? How can Sony charge the americans and not the europeans?
Maybe we have finally found the reason why the camera is so much more expensive in europe - firmware updates are included! ;-)
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 04:05 PM   #17
Regular Crew

gandnabbit... it's gonna co$t me... 6 days outta the box... they should call it firmerware...
I am an American, I must pay!
Matt Sturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 06:18 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Well I have to say I got a lot better service than I thought I would. The LA Service center called and my camera is ready, Woohoo! I just took it in on Wed and now it's ready this afternoon at about 5p, of course they close at 5 but still I can get there first thing on Monday to pick it up. I had some issues with the back focus and they looked into it and made some repairs, replaced a board or somesuch. Also since I was whining about the $100 bucks they kinda swept it under the rug and just included it in the repairs. I have to say I am happy but I still think it's lame to charge $100 for something we should be able to do ourselves. I am not Uncle Fred taking videos of my kids with a $800 video camera, the EX1 is a $8k (list) semi pro HD camera and I use it in my business. I would love to know how many of these things have been sold since it introduction. I had heard a few years ago when they introduced the first HDV camera that in the first 6 months of sales they had sold something like 55,000 of them and that one camera was responsible for all of the profit for that time period. Not too shabby!

Anyway time to finish up other stuff.

Cheers
Robert C. Fisher
Robert C. Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 07:36 PM   #19
Major Player

Robert, et. al.

Where is the LA service center? And do you have a number?

Sounds like a better idea than sending it up north. Plus they probably understand the needs of professional cameraman better.

Thanks.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 07:59 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Hi Eric
Sony LA Service Center
2706 Media Center Drive, Suite 130
Los Angeles, CA 90065
I would give you the phone number but its pretty worthless since it lands somewhere else.

It's off San Fernando Rd south of Glendale. The guys doing the repairs are nice guys. I will run some tests on Monday after I pick up my camera and see what they did. If you want the firmware upgrade er "Feature Enhancement" expect to pay $100 for it unless you can do some fast talking.

You know it took about an hour to find the right number to call at Sony and find the Service Center here in LA. I could find clandestine CIA operations quicker!

Cheers
Robert C. Fisher
Robert C. Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #21
New Boot

FYI, I took my EX1 to the Los Angeles service center, and they said the back log is a few weeks now! Probably all of us board lurkers trying to get in before they make a special 1.12 firmware version to disable some special features ala the posts here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...sxs-cards.html :)

Anyway, their number is 323-352-5000

The people there are very very busy, but definately quite helpful and friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Pascarelli View Post
Robert, et. al.

Where is the LA service center? And do you have a number?

Sounds like a better idea than sending it up north. Plus they probably understand the needs of professional cameraman better.

Thanks.
Ethan Piliavin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds