EX1 infrared contamination: myth or reality? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 13th, 2008, 10:14 AM   #16
Trustee

Ned, is the IR 750 available in 77mm for the EX1?

Also, no green issues?

Any other issues?

Cost?

Thanks
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 10:20 AM   #17
Major Player

Check it out

Introducing True-Cut 750 IR Filter - Schneider Optics

$295 for the 4x4. No pricing listed yet for 77mm so I suspect they are still making those up. I do know that they plan to offer a 77 mm and I will buy one for my EX-3 as soon as they ship. Can't always shoot with the mattebox.

Important to note that the IR 750 must be the top first filter in your stack-- light must hit the IR 750 first and then stack other filters beneath it.

Ned Soltz
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 10:23 AM   #18
Trustee

Ned, thanks for the info.

So 750 does *not* have green cast?

I assume yours is 4x4, not 77mm? (you beat me to it, I see the answer to 77mm above.)
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 04:40 PM   #19
Trustee

After a month of going back and forth with Ryan/Schneider Optics, and 2 dealers, the Schneider's 750nm 77mm filter is still unavailable for purchase.

Meanwhile, I did run into some very severe cases of IR contamination, so hell yeah, the issue is real!

Both under the sunlight and fluos. Certain black fabrics really start looking dirty brown. Very ugly. Also saw this with female hair. (oh behave!)

The 486 filter fixes the issue.

I'm keeping my 486 filter screwed to EX1's lens all the time presently. It fits under the sunshade of EX1.

Just white balance with 486 on, and voila.
Old November 11th, 2008, 06:04 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Hi Alex,

You have the slim version, any reason why?

Do you think the regular version of the 486 would fit under the EX1 sunshade?

Also, what is the widest you can go without getting the green cast on the side of your shots?

Thanks,

Rob
Robert St-Onge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 06:34 PM   #21
Inner Circle

I'm not Alex, but can tell you from my experience that:

- the double-threaded 486 filter does fit under the lens hood
- the widest zoom with no green tint is around Z15 (in the 00 - 99 scale)
Old November 11th, 2008, 08:22 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Thanks so much Piotr,

Z15 seems reasonable, I will go with the 486 since the True-cut 750 has not proven itself yet.

I have been waiting to long for this now. I have a 52mm 486 for my Letus and it does the job now I just need to find a double threaded 77mm 486!

Thanks again!
Old November 11th, 2008, 08:52 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert St-Onge View Post
I just need to find a double threaded 77mm 486
Not recommended. Since 486 reflects light, you cannot safely put anything in front of it.

So 486 must be the very first optical element, which makes front thread on it pointless IMHO.

However such version does exist, is 25% cheaper, and is sold by B&H or here.
Old November 11th, 2008, 09:26 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Thanks Alex,

I understand, at least it is cheaper!

B&H is out of stock!

Last edited by Robert St-Onge; November 12th, 2008 at 03:29 PM.
Old November 12th, 2008, 01:07 AM   #25
Trustee

I've had the B&W Slim 486 on my EX1 for ages now. The only time I've taken the 486 off the camera was when it went back to Sony. I went with the slim as the normal filter seemed to make it a very tight fit for the lens hood. All our EX1 and 3s have been fitted with the same filter. The green vignetting no one has so far noticed and if it did become a problem it would be relatively easy to grade out. The magenta shift in some black fabrics borders on the impossible to grade out.

My understanding from reading numerous posts is that the 486 is the only filter that will effectively remove enough IR to completely avoid the problem. I might be wrong here but some seem to have been returning the 750 as it just didn't cut enough IR.

We've also purchased a number of expensive 'hot glass' ND filters as another way around this problem. The idea is to bypass the incamera ND filters entirely. However these filters do introduce another problem. From the front they're a very large mirror so reflections back towards the talent could become another issue to wrangle. For the money and ease of use the 486 still seems to be the best solution.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 03:28 PM   #26
Regular Crew

B&H just received some of the regular 486 77mm today!

Having no better options, I bought one! Not that I need it everyday, but I do need it for specific shoots, so the regular 486 will be perfect for my needs.

Thanks to all for your input,

much appreciated!
Old November 12th, 2008, 08:05 PM   #27
Major Player

Is there an in-camera hardware or firmware remedy for the IR problem? Or are EX-1 users stuck with having to use an add-on filter for the life of the camera?

I've asked this in a couple of threads and no one answers!
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #28
Trustee

Bob: the only remedy at this point is to limit the amount of IR *before* it hits the camera lens/sensor.
Old November 12th, 2008, 08:37 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Just a couple of things I've gone through with ex1 IR contamination:

-It is a serious reality. Piotr is right, it is most prominent under tungsten on certain black fabrics, although lately I've found certain blue polyesters turning purple.

-Sony support doesn't seem to know (or care too much). I've spoken to several people about it at Sony support who respond with, "That's interesting, we'll have to ask the engineers".

-The 486 has been working for me very well behind my Letus Extreme adapter. Many people will tell you not to do this, and they may be right, but it is working for me. I have yet to see the true cut 750 filter yet, however I will be ordering a 4x5.65 once they become available.

-As mentioned in a previous post the green/cyan cast from the 486 that is found on the wide end with the 486 is actually pretty easy to remove in post compared to the alternative. At this point I have a preset secondary in Color that is basically a magenta adjustment with an inverted circular vignette.

-I have noticed this on other cameras, namely the Panasonic HPX-3000, and some F-23's were reported to have it until the IR filter was replaced. I'm wondering if that is a possible fix for the EX3, where the IR filter is more accessible.

-Sean
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 09:05 PM   #30
Trustee

Sean, supposedly 750 is available for matte box placement here.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds