EX1 infrared contamination: myth or reality? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 13th, 2008, 01:53 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Also, Redrock Micro sell their own 4x5.65 750 nm IR filter:

microFilter IR Cut (Hot Mirror) 4x5.65"
Old November 13th, 2008, 06:01 AM   #32
Trustee

Piotr, surely RedRock does not manufacture filters - do you know which brand do they re-purpose?
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 06:47 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin View Post
Piotr, surely RedRock does not manufacture filters - do you know which brand do they re-purpose?
Have no idea (and don't think they would say), but Brian Valente, who's been giving me excellent support with my other orders with Redrock Micro, says they've learned a lesson from the competitor's attempts, and that theirs is better...
Old November 13th, 2008, 03:59 PM   #34
Major Player

Would it stop you from purchasing the camera again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Donnelly View Post
Just a couple of things I've gone through with ex1 IR contamination:

-It is a serious reality. Piotr is right, it is most prominent under tungsten on certain black fabrics, although lately I've found certain blue polyesters turning purple.

-Sony support doesn't seem to know (or care too much). I've spoken to several people about it at Sony support who respond with, "That's interesting, we'll have to ask the engineers".

-The 486 has been working for me very well behind my Letus Extreme adapter. Many people will tell you not to do this, and they may be right, but it is working for me. I have yet to see the true cut 750 filter yet, however I will be ordering a 4x5.65 once they become available.

-As mentioned in a previous post the green/cyan cast from the 486 that is found on the wide end with the 486 is actually pretty easy to remove in post compared to the alternative. At this point I have a preset secondary in Color that is basically a magenta adjustment with an inverted circular vignette.

-I have noticed this on other cameras, namely the Panasonic HPX-3000, and some F-23's were reported to have it until the IR filter was replaced. I'm wondering if that is a possible fix for the EX3, where the IR filter is more accessible.

-Sean
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 09:12 PM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kerner View Post
Let me throw my 2 cents in here. My answer is no. The results from this camera are incredible when it is used properly.

I have purchased, returned, and re-purchased the B+W 486. The reason it wen back is because of the green vignetting. The reason I got it back was it worked otherwise.

I tried the Schneider Optics 750 True-cut, but it was useless, completely, on my camera. I provided proof in this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...aste-time.html
But people have said it worked for them yet I have seen no results from their use.

Until there is a better camera for the price I would buy the EX1/3 and know that it has its limitations like anything else does.
Les Nagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 06:58 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Alex, that link was for a 4x4 size. For the wide lenses on my adapter I need to use 4x5.65 or larger.

Bob, it would not stop me from purchasing this camera, however it is something to be aware of and you should be prepared to purchase filtration to deal with it. As I mentioned, I've seen the same phenomenon on an HPX3000, a camera that retails for 5 times the price of an ex1.

-Sean
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 08:07 AM   #37
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kerner View Post
No, I would buy EX1 camera again in a heartbeat really.

Just add this 486 filter (some say this one fits too), and you're good to go.

Additional expense to the camera cost: $150 - $200 depending on filter variant. Not pleasant, but yet not significant enough to stop from buying the cam. Hey, look at it this way: you have to buy many other accessories anyway... filter is just one of them. And, if you go the matte box route - fohgettabaoutit... money will start flying outta window in droves, so 77mm filter seems super cheap on comparison :)
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds