Nikon to EX3 adapter made by MTF - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 16th, 2008, 12:03 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I have one additional observation about the support. When looking at the photos of the support on the sellers website and the photo of the ex3 with the nikon 500 or 600mm lens on the tripod, the length of the rods seem like they may be too short for that lens.

I know that looks can be deceiving, so some specs on the support length and range of height and front/back adjustment for the lens support would be helpful.

Last edited by Eli Schmukler; October 16th, 2008 at 01:59 PM.
Eli Schmukler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 07:31 AM   #17
Major Player

Hi Eli,

I think you will find that the rails are changeable and you can state the lenght you require when you order. I have similiar ones from Truelens Services here in the UK

Regards

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 10:22 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Chroziel Matte Box

Here is an example of a camera plate that is attached to the bottom and back of the EX-3 making it a solid easy to use camera. Joe Sutherland (www.joesutherland.com) had it fabricated after 2 of his rental EX-1s had tripod sockets damage. He wanted to minimize any potential problems with the heavier interchangeable lenses on the EX-3s. Precision Camera Inc. (www.pci-canada.com) in Toronto makes them in a nice black anodized finish.
Attached Thumbnails
Nikon to EX3 adapter made by MTF-chrozielfollowfocusandmattebox.jpg   Nikon to EX3 adapter made by MTF-chrozielmattebox-ex-3.jpg  

Peter Mykusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 02:02 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Mike

Thanks for the comment. I did not see any information on their web site re rail length, but will look for rail length information in the future.

For my purposes, I may not need rails as my primary reason for looking at the adapter is to use my 80-400mm nikon lens on the ex3. While not light, the lens is not nearly the weight of that which Ofer was using and is probably not too much different than the stock ex3 lens.

I also want to look further at their adapter selection. Besides the one made specifically for the ex3 (5.5 multiplier) they also make one which seems to attach to a standard 1/2 inch adapter (7 multiplier) - however, while listing some specific cameras with which that adapter will work, they do not specifically state that it will work on an ex3.

Again, thanks for the comment.
Old October 21st, 2008, 02:16 AM   #20
Regular Crew

One quick - and perhaps dumb - newbie question. When 35 mm lenses are used on the ex3 with an adapter, is there a drop in the f rating of the lens - as there is when a teleconverter is used on a 35mm still camera (eg f2.8 lens with 2x converter becomes f5.6).

My logic says there should be no drop, but an answer from someone who knows would be helpful.

Thanks.
Old October 21st, 2008, 02:20 AM   #21
Inner Circle

No drop in f stop at all.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 12:38 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Thanks Steve
Eli Schmukler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds