EX1 for National Geographic? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 20th, 2008, 02:44 AM   #16
Major Player

It is not only bit rate that determines their tech spec. I think the EX1 is superb and use it all the time. When compared to an HDCam fitted with a full broadcast Fujinon high Def lens there is a difference - you do get something for the extra money. Now - perhaps an EX3 with a full high def lens may fool the people all of the time with a convergent design recorder added to the mix.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 02:50 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn Kilby View Post
Bottom line: If you have THE footage, they'll buy it, regardless of the bit rate, format or camera. It's been done.
Yes, and the specs specifically allow for up to 15% to be shot on an HDV camera or an HVX200. The allowance also includes SD upconverts.

So if THE footage of the exploding volcano is neccesarily on HDV, that's allowed for - just don't try and sneak in all the interviews on a 1/3" camera.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 03:47 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Bruce, in what way is the lens on an EX1 not a "full HD lens"? I think you'd be surprised at how little difference you'd see on an EX3 bewteen the stock lens and any other HD lens. What part of its spec does not qualify as HD? And what are the "proper HD" lenses you're talking about - pretty all the ones I've used are well short of perfect.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 06:05 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
I am not sure if it matters, but you might need to consider that XDCAM HD and XDCAM EX are different. Perhaps to the client it doesn't matter.

XDCAM HD includes the PDW-F335, F355, and 700.
XDCAM EX includes the EX1 and EX3 only
But in the pdf it says that the 35mb/s version of the codec is allowed, at that is just HQ on the EX1, right? Is there another difference between the codecs?
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 09:45 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Heath View Post
Yes, and the specs specifically allow for up to 15% to be shot on an HDV camera or an HVX200. The allowance also includes SD upconverts.

So if THE footage of the exploding volcano is neccesarily on HDV, that's allowed for - just don't try and sneak in all the interviews on a 1/3" camera.
EX cameras are 1/2".
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 10:22 AM   #21
Major Player

we are getting ready to a 16 1/2 hour show for a public tv station, I believe if they want you to have the specs they will direct you to a page or pages on their site, which most can't get to, and it will give you all the specs for delivery to them, the reason they don't give out the site info because they are usually deluged with 100's of projects. once we had the go ahead, they gave us the info.
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 11:04 AM   #22
Major Player

Steve, The Fujinon 2/3 inch lens is sharper around the edges and there is less barrel distortion but then it costs £10k. I am not knocking the EX1 lens I think it is superb, I have just started cutting an SD project with HDCam/Digibeta/EX1/Z1/and BetaSX, the EX1 pictures look superb and integrate well with 'pro' formats. My comments were aimed at those thinking of trying to pass off EX1/3 pictures as what they are not. In the end as stated elsewhere the broadcasters will use any format if it suits them.
Old October 20th, 2008, 01:03 PM   #23
Regular Crew

WhenI was at IBC in September the word on the Sony stand was that
National Geo/ Discovery had anounced that the EX3 in 35Mb/s could be used for 100%
acquisition.
Mark Twittey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 02:11 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Bruce, how can you compare 2 lenses on completely different cameras, doesn't make any sense as there are so many other factors involved. If you put the 2/3" Fuji on an EX3 my guess is that the EX3 standard lens would look better in fact.
Steve
Old October 20th, 2008, 02:53 PM   #25
Major Player

Steve, I am only commenting on pictures I look at on a decent monitor produced by the various cameras. As an editor my observations are subjective not scientific. I have just been looking at EX1 material down converted to SD that beats BetaSX pictures shot with a 10 year old Fujinon broadcast lens into a cocked hat.
Old October 20th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Understood Bruce, but I'm just saying that it makes no sense to say that an EX1 looks worse than a 2/3" camera and think it's something to do with the lens. You said "perhaps an EX3 with a full high def lens" but I think you'd find that the lens would be the least important factor in the equation.
Also, none of the Fujinons that I've seen in the £10k range have been much to write home about, mediocre at best I'd call them, same goes for most HD lenses short of the seriously expensive ones.
Steve

Old October 20th, 2008, 03:38 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
Understood Bruce, but I'm just saying that it makes no sense to say that an EX1 looks worse than a 2/3" camera and think it's something to do with the lens. You said "perhaps an EX3 with a full high def lens" but I think you'd find that the lens would be the least important factor in the equation.
Also, none of the Fujinons that I've seen in the £10k range have been much to write home about, mediocre at best I'd call them, same goes for most HD lenses short of the seriously expensive ones.
Steve

I'd say one of the best quotes on the matter in relation the EX1's built-in lens. I can't remember who said it but to paraphrase "A lens of this quality has no business being on a sub-$10K camera." So indeed the lens of the EX1 is fantastic and thankfully it is because that's the most important element in getting a good image. If everything else is great in the chain but the lens isn't up to par your image quality will suffer. This is definitely evident when comparing my old Nikon film lens to my Nikon DX (made for digital) lens on my D300. The colors and general clarity are so much better with the newer more expensive lens.

Expensive glass does matter. Maybe the lower end (for example) Canon HDgc lenses don't matter as much but when you put a Zeiss DigiPrime or DigiZoom lens on an HD camera it makes a BIG difference. Of course we're talking $$$$$ at this point but still...the glass does matter.
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 04:53 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn Kilby View Post
EX cameras are 1/2".
Yes indeed. Sorry I didn't make myself clear - I was trying to say that an HDV camera or the HVX200 are allowed for up to 15% ("THE" unique footage), but not for "the rest", interviews etc.

The EX should indeed be OK for the other 85%.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 01:04 AM   #29
Inner Circle

I agree Adam, the lens is definitely very important, and I agree that the EX1 lens appears at least to be up to scratch, that's why I said that comparing two completely different cameras (chip size, chip type, codecs etc.) and concluding that putting a £10k Fujinon on it might make a difference doesn't make sense.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds