PMW-EX3 Base Plate - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:14 PM   #46
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gamble View Post
Plus, I have to admit that the thought of a few screws holding the shoulder brace in place is slightly worrying. Seems like it would be easy to strip them or put excessive strain on them.

Regardless, I'll buy one anyway just for the tripod reinforcement.

Thanks again for the clarification,

Mark
The shoulder brace, be it Ted's or VF gadget's is held tightly to the EX3 underbody by 3 screws. The front mount screw point itself is not terribly strong or stable but once the 2 rear screws are attached as well (they are much stronger mounting points than the front) it makes for a very snug, solid understructure. The strain is now spread throughout the bottom of the camera and you would really have to deliberately rip the camera from the base plate with excessive force before the 3 screw points would be stripped. Easy to then mount to the Sony VCT-14 quick release plate when the little wedge is connected.

Great for the quick tripod & shoulder shots. Extremely Highly recommended.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:42 PM   #47
Regular Crew

Shame that people have to resort to this fix in the 1st place
Dave Tyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 03:24 PM   #48
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Tyrer View Post
Shame that people have to resort to this fix in the 1st place
I've been saying that for years. Ever since the little cameras became popular. Why can't Sony make a real shoulder mount version for under $10k?

Joe
Old December 2nd, 2008, 04:14 PM   #49
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Goldsberry View Post
I've been saying that for years. Ever since the little cameras became popular. Why can't Sony make a real shoulder mount version for under $10k?

Joe
It's the tripod mount that concerns me...especially using long 35mm lenses. I would only hope the support rails would offer additional stability.
Dave Tyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 06:50 PM   #50
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Issko View Post
The shoulder brace, be it Ted's or VF gadget's is held tightly to the EX3 underbody by 3 screws. The front mount screw point itself is not terribly strong or stable but once the 2 rear screws are attached as well (they are much stronger mounting points than the front) it makes for a very snug, solid understructure. The strain is now spread throughout the bottom of the camera and you would really have to deliberately rip the camera from the base plate with excessive force before the 3 screw points would be stripped. Easy to then mount to the Sony VCT-14 quick release plate when the little wedge is connected.

Great for the quick tripod & shoulder shots. Extremely Highly recommended.
David, I think you misunderstood me. I understand exactly how Ted's device attaches to the camera. (As I also mentioned, I'd already been thinking about making something very much like this to deal with the lousy tripod mount on the EX3. But no point in reinventing the wheel...)

As Ted described, what will be available is a reinforcement plate that attaches to the EX3 (just as you describe) AND a shoulder mount that then attaches to the reinforcement plate with screws. I was expressing some concern over the strength of the connection between the shoulder brace and reinforcement plate. My preference would be to have the shoulder mount attach to the reinforcement plate with some type of quick release mechanism. Since many of the projects I've worked on recently have required me to shoot in confined places--or places where it's easy to snag a camera with lots of "stuff" hanging off--I'd like to be able to very quickly change configurations and ditch the shoulder mount when it's not needed or becomes inconvenient. I'm also concerned about how well the shoulder mount will stand up to repeated removal and reattachment.

And as I said, I'll definitely buy the reinforcement plate, and very probably the shoulder mount, regardless of how it attaches to the reinforcement plate.

Mark
Mark Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 05:02 AM   #51
Major Player

Got it Mark!

I have the VF gadgets' plate and the Sony shoulder pad does not attach to it at all. So I do not have a pad. For the times that I need to shoulder mount the camera, I survive without any padding at the 90 degree join.

I also have the DVtec HDPro shoulder rig for the more demanding off tripod work.

I also have the XS lens so I hang on to the lens hood with my left hand to stop the slight anti clockwise twisting effect. It's not too bad at all if I keep my eye (well glasses) hard up against the viewfinder as well.

I hope you don't have any problems to sort out with your rig.

Best wishes.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 11:21 AM   #52
Regular Crew

I have the VF plate and the shoulder pad can be velcroed to the back of the plate just like the original position.
Jason Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 10:51 PM   #53
Major Player

Quote:
Then let me be the first to lobby for a quick release attachment for the shoulder brace! :)

That would be incredibly useful in many situations. Plus, I have to admit that the thought of a few screws holding the shoulder brace in place is slightly worrying. Seems like it would be easy to strip them or put excessive strain on them.

Regardless, I'll buy one anyway just for the tripod reinforcement.

Thanks again for the clarification,

Mark
Forward any requests to Jeff at DM-accessories!
Old December 3rd, 2008, 10:58 PM   #54
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Issko View Post
Got it Mark!

I have the VF gadgets' plate and the Sony shoulder pad does not attach to it at all. So I do not have a pad. For the times that I need to shoulder mount the camera, I survive without any padding at the 90 degree join.

I also have the DVtec HDPro shoulder rig for the more demanding off tripod work.

I also have the XS lens so I hang on to the lens hood with my left hand to stop the slight anti clockwise twisting effect. It's not too bad at all if I keep my eye (well glasses) hard up against the viewfinder as well.

I hope you don't have any problems to sort out with your rig.

Best wishes.
The VF version doesn't have a pad because, frankly, what do you expect for $450. Ours, of course, has a pad - this has proven to be quite a challenge, but Jeff has worked hard to accommodate. I had to put two layers of 1/2" adhesive foam on mine, but it worked great. Since my foam was rubber based, Jeff is unable to laser-cut it and spent time searching for another product. I'm not sure what he finally came up with, but if nothing else, it is possible (worthwhile) to at least cut some 1" thick foam.

Doesn't that hard plate hurt pretty quickly? Maybe since they aren't adding weight and locating it behind you, it doesn't strain the shoulder to much.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 11:00 PM   #55
Major Player

Quote:
My preference would be to have the shoulder mount attach to the reinforcement plate with some type of quick release mechanism.
Mark,

I know it isn't the same thing, but the folding design is to help the transition without have any loose parts to loose. folding it works for the tripod, unfolding it works for the shoulder.
Old December 4th, 2008, 02:00 AM   #56
Major Player

A detachable shoulder mount would allow me to throw my camera back in it's soft case without unscrewing the base plate each time. How about a detachable shoulder system with welded studs with holes at the ends that accept cotter pins? Sounds crude but the design could be improved. Or better yet, studs that insert inside drilled holes in the shoulder section and "snap in" somehow, and adding a quick release button to release. This of course would raise the price, but I would pay for that convenience.

Reminds me of way the USS Enterprise D saucer section detached.
Larry Huntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 09:06 AM   #57
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Huntington View Post
A detachable shoulder mount would allow me to throw my camera back in it's soft case without unscrewing the base plate each time. How about a detachable shoulder system with welded studs with holes at the ends that accept cotter pins? Sounds crude but the design could be improved. Or better yet, studs that insert inside drilled holes in the shoulder section and "snap in" somehow, and adding a quick release button to release. This of course would raise the price, but I would pay for that convenience.

Reminds me of way the USS Enterprise D saucer section detached.
Well, far be it from me to argue with a trekkie! ;-) The current design was made just for what you describe. It easily fits in my soft case with a little extra room at the end. I think that the hinge he chose MIGHT have a removable pin (or MIGHT be able to be made removeable) which, I think, would accommodate you.

Oh, and Jeff cuts aluminum, doesn't weld it. you might direct suggestions to him directly, though.

He is now putting the "finishing" touches on the plates and it's all going to the anodizers. Should be ready for sale very very soon.
Old December 4th, 2008, 10:57 AM   #58
Major Player

Ted,

Any more news on finished product? After all, all I want for Christmas is an EX3 plate!

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 11:20 AM   #59
Major Player

Jeff just sent me a few snapshots of two versions. A "baseplate only" version and a hinged shoulder mount with battery version.

Nothing is black yet, but he's ready for production. Still needs to go to the anodizer for the black finish.

I'm going nuts myself - the prototype used a hinge that we have since changed and so I go to use mine briefly and now it is barely hanging on.
Old December 5th, 2008, 07:55 AM   #60
Regular Crew

Does anyone know how much it will be for baseplate only?
Dave Tyrer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds