EX3 Hinged Shoulder Mount - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 17th, 2008, 12:00 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mykusz View Post
My final comment is that the extended plate will smack someone in the face if the cameraman swings his camera. I saw a few close calls with Betacams when shooters panned suddenly in scrums or crowds..
Hi Peter, yeah this is an area of concern but I suppose it depends on the type of work you do. If it's ENG stuff then maybe a bit of extra, side padding around the back might help. Coming from a news background myself, I know these things happen but good operators are good operators and can anticipate and hopefully avoid most collisions! I don't really believe the EX3 is suited to ENG style work anyway but rather full shoulder mount cams XDcams etc. like most networks have anyway, at least here in Australia.

Cheers, Evan
Evan Meades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 03:47 PM   #17
Major Player

Ted--is the hinge plate removeable? Also, would the base accommodate this Vinten base plate?
Attached Thumbnails
EX3 Hinged Shoulder Mount-dsc00890-large-.jpg   EX3 Hinged Shoulder Mount-dsc00891-large-.jpg  

Mike Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 08:09 PM   #18
Regular Crew

His plate is meant to stay attached, and go into a quick release plate. You would just attach your Vinten plate to a VCT-14 camera plate. Or even better the shorter version.
Attached Images

Jason Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 09:16 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Chandler View Post
Ted--is the hinge plate removeable? Also, would the base accommodate this Vinten base plate?
The hinge plate is removeable.

The base can accommodate many common quick release plates, such as yours. The wedge for the VCT-U14 is just an optional means of attaching the camera / plate combination to a tripod with a VCT-U14 mounted on it. It looks to me that your plate will screw in just fine.
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 09:38 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Chandler View Post
Jeff has already drilled and tapped several holes in the bottom - it should accommodate your tripod plate just fine. His holes are tapped 1/4x20.
Old November 18th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mykusz View Post
I looked at the design of the hinged back and see three potential issues. Will it still be possible to use the SDI cable output with the back folded? How secure is the hinge? The weight of a battery on the hinge will put enormouse pressure on it and possibly break or loosen the back. The hinge should be secured with screws that can be tightened and not just riveted in. My final comment is that the extended plate will smack someone in the face if the cameraman swings his camera. I saw a few close calls with Betacams when shooters panned suddenly in scrums or crowds. You might want to take these concerns into account and possibly modify your prototype.
Ted,

Thinking about this I share Peter's concerns, could you have an option to make the hinged plate user removable? or otherwise sell a version without the hinge. Much of my work is run and gun and while I understand that I could mount the battery in the up position, I think I would prefer it behind my shoulder in all cases. Also, it looks like the 'up' position would block the use of a radio mic on the back shoe, is this the case?

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 09:26 AM   #22
Tourist

I like it

how hard would i be to use the plate from the Sachtler SooM?
Paul Brenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 10:02 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
Thinking about this I share Peter's concerns, could you have an option to make the hinged plate user removable? or otherwise sell a version without the hinge. Much of my work is run and gun and while I understand that I could mount the battery in the up position, I think I would prefer it behind my shoulder in all cases. Also, it looks like the 'up' position would block the use of a radio mic on the back shoe, is this the case?
I don't know for sure about the prototype, Ted has the only complete one, I never finished the hinge part of mine. The new version will have enough room for a wireless receiver on the back shoe. The hinged part can be removed with a screwdriver, or not installed. Anyway, I don't think it's a problem to make a version of the kit without the hinging plate, but if you can have weights on the folded-out platform, you'll get very good balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Brenner View Post
how hard would i be to use the plate from the Sachtler SooM?
I don't see why it won't work. The parts will have the 1/4"-20 and 3/8"-16 threads common to camcorders. It also will support some V-wedge mounts and rod systems.

Last edited by Jeff DeMaagd; November 29th, 2008 at 10:37 AM.
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #24
Major Player

Jeff,

That's great to know, can't wait for this to go into production.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds