EX3 Hinged Shoulder Mount at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 15th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #1
Major Player

EX3 Hinged Shoulder Mount

Okay, I've kept you guys hanging long enough.

Yesterday, (Friday) I receive the prototype in the mail. It's very cool. I took pics, assembled, tested, added gear, and just generally had fun with it.

The, I made a lot of notes regarding a few alterations to make it perfect. I was up till 4AM.

Today, I was back up at 10AM and have been doing nothing else all day.

So, the conclusion is:
- it solves the weak mount problem of the Sony mount
- it requires very little additional room to pack
- it provides much better stability to have it on your shoulder
- by folding down the battery, weight distribution is much improved.

For perfect balance, you still need a couple more pounds near the battery, but already it is a night and day difference, really alleviating a great deal of wrist strain.

The final version will be anodized. Also, the hinge will be completely redesigned and very durable (for those of you trying to balance a mattebox or mini35 or both!). The mount from Anton Bauer will have a genuine Sony cable and connector as well as two P-tap ports. There will be an available location for hooking a wireless mic.

The workmanship is terrific - as a prototype it is near perfect. Jeff DeMaagd (DM Accessories) has done a wonderfull job working from my sketches, and it should be available to preorder from his site in a matter of days.

So, now, with much fanfare, I'd like to direct you to the following video:

TNT Integration

And, here are a few pics...
Attached Thumbnails
EX3 Hinged Shoulder Mount-480x480_0000_layer-5.jpg   EX3 Hinged Shoulder Mount-480x480_0000_layer-2.jpg  

EX3 Hinged Shoulder Mount-480x480_0001_layer-3-copy.jpg   EX3 Hinged Shoulder Mount-480x480_0002_layer-3.jpg  

EX3 Hinged Shoulder Mount-480x480_0003_layer-1.jpg  
Old November 15th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks for this report, Ted -- the pics are especially appreciated.

Jeff DeMaagd is a long-time DV Info Net member.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #3
Major Player

Looking good Ted ...

I wonder if the plate that fits onto the camera can be modified to allow for rails? This solution is great if you are going to use the camera without the RR matte Box or 35mm adaptors.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 06:17 PM   #4
Major Player

Dean, no modification is necessary.

All along, we'd planned for rails. The toe wedge is removed and in it's place you mount the rail clamp (coming later). Then, the toe wedge can be mounted to the base of the rail clamp. There may be minor adjustments, but that's been the plan.
Old November 15th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #5
Major Player

Boy, the creative juices have really been flowing today! I was picturing you guys hauling all your gear to locations for your documentaries and event work. I thought to myself, "Self, we need something lighter and more relaxing." I've come up with a great solution and if you don't believe me, look how relaxed the camera operator looks - he's seated in the front row.
Attached Thumbnails
EX3 Hinged Shoulder Mount-hover-mount-reduced.jpg  
Old November 15th, 2008, 08:25 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Counterweights

Nice work Ted - it looks great. I can't wait to buy one!

I'm primarily interested because I shoot from the shoulder mostly, though I'd like to have more stability on my tripod as well.

I saw that you mentioned the need for a couple of more pounds near the battery, and I'm wondering if you've considered what type of weights might be best for this. I'm going to be using the long-life Sony battery, not the Anton Bauer, and am hoping to counter weight the camera back there to make all do shooting comfortable again. It would be great to have something just the right weight and size, that attached easily and traveled well!

Any thoughts?
Zachary Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 08:43 PM   #7
Major Player

Ted,

Great work, when can I buy one? how much will it be in the end?

I would still like to fit the matte box rails interface I already own. Is there any chance you could drill the correct holes for it? if you look at the VF plate I think they have the holes already.

Also is there any chance you could source the Sony EX power plug adapter for those of use using sony type batteries? I know there is a link on a radio shack one on the forum but I can't buy it from here in China.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
EX3 Hinged Shoulder Mount-_dsc9665.jpg   EX3 Hinged Shoulder Mount-_dsc9661.jpg  

Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 09:41 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
Ted,

Great work, when can I buy one? how much will it be in the end?
I haven't set the prices yet. We have a general idea, but I don't want to post a price and find it's wrong.

Quote:
I would still like to fit the matte box rails interface I already own. Is there any chance you could drill the correct holes for it? if you look at the VF plate I think they have the holes already.
I don't think it's a problem. I want to make it as compatible with as many other items as I reasonably can.

Can you accurately measure the hole spacings for me? If you can identify the screw size, that would be helpful too. Just a guess, but I assume a 4mm diameter screw will work.

This goes for anyone else too, if there are hole patterns you think are needed, please let me know soon.

Quote:
Also is there any chance you could source the Sony EX power plug adapter for those of use using sony type batteries? I know there is a link on a radio shack one on the forum but I can't buy it from here in China.
I'll look in the catalogs.
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 04:36 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks Ted ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
Dean, no modification is necessary.

All along, we'd planned for rails. The toe wedge is removed and in it's place you mount the rail clamp (coming later). Then, the toe wedge can be mounted to the base of the rail clamp. There may be minor adjustments, but that's been the plan.
Where do I sign up!
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 06:17 AM   #10
Major Player

Jeff,

Great work so far, I've attached pictures of the measurements. I'm pretty sure these are standard for any interface plate to fit Sony broadcast cameras, I have this too EngRig and it has the same hole layout. Maybe you could find a DSR450 or 500 to test before you finalize the hole spacing.

As for the plugs Steve Cahill details all you need to know here Sony Charger for the EX1

It's just that I don't think Radio Shack will supply the tips all the way to China. I guess is the worst case I can just cut one of the connectors off my Sony battery charger.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
EX3 Hinged Shoulder Mount-bars1.jpg   EX3 Hinged Shoulder Mount-bars2.jpg  

EX3 Hinged Shoulder Mount-bars3.jpg  
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 12:53 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Will the AB cables be long enough to power both the camera and a Zylight while in the flipped out position? I ask because I still need to monitor from the SDI port and based on your photos will have to be in the flipped out position.

And let me know ASAP where to sign up! I could have really been using this for the past several months!
Rick Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 01:11 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Jones View Post
Will the AB cables be long enough to power both the camera and a Zylight while in the flipped out position? I ask because I still need to monitor from the SDI port and based on your photos will have to be in the flipped out position.

And let me know ASAP where to sign up! I could have really been using this for the past several months!
Certainly the camera. That's part of the design. It's only 8 or 9 inches from the base of the battery to the camera.

The Zylight is another question - how long is the cable? Do you mount it to the front cold shoe?
Old November 16th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Yes, the front shoe. It's also sometimes on an articulated arm so theoretically could be 18" or more from the AB battery if flipped out. Maybe offer a 12" extension cord?
Rick Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Just a thought, you could use magnet to keep the plates together instead of screwing in in each time. Also just another thought, you could hing the battery plate twice and it would fold to a triangle and would shorten the distance it sticks out. just a brain fart..
Jason Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 11:28 PM   #15
Regular Crew

SDI cable clearance

Congratulations on producing another version of a much needed camera plate. I know how much work is involved as I saw the growing pains of the one that VFGadgets is selling. Competition is good since it generates new ideas and designs. This leads to choice and each one of us decides what works for us in terms of quality and price.

I was part of a 3 camera shoot at the opening of our new Art Gallery (AGO) on Friday using HD SDI cables. I regularly use 300' HD SDI cables with a Panasonic switcher. I looked at the design of the hinged back and see three potential issues. Will it still be possible to use the SDI cable output with the back folded? How secure is the hinge? The weight of a battery on the hinge will put enormouse pressure on it and possibly break or loosen the back. The hinge should be secured with screws that can be tightened and not just riveted in. My final comment is that the extended plate will smack someone in the face if the cameraman swings his camera. I saw a few close calls with Betacams when shooters panned suddenly in scrums or crowds. You might want to take these concerns into account and possibly modify your prototype.

The two photos show how Joe Sutherland (www.JoeSutherlandrentals.com) used Velcro to attach the battery adaptor to the back of the plate which he ordered built by PCI. This is very versatile. A gel mouse pad was cut to create a soft shoulder pad (attached with Velcro bought at Wal*Mart) for all the rental cameras.
I hope that someone will evaluate these plates in terms of quality and features. The camera plates are a necessity for any cameraman who needs a shoulder mount EX-3 and quick release convenience.
Attached Thumbnails
EX3 Hinged Shoulder Mount-hd-sdicable.jpg   EX3 Hinged Shoulder Mount-batterymount.jpg  

Peter Mykusz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds