My EX3 mount - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 17th, 2008, 10:13 AM   #16
Major Player

Found a similar UK product...

Creative Video TLS VCT14-Adapter - Allows use of Sony VCT-14 / U14 quick release tripod plate
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 04:00 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I thought of using the back plate part as well but due to the EX3's design and wanting a "cut out " area for the shoulder it's not really possible as it would be in "that' area. I suppose you could have some kind of slide out bar that had it and just use it when putting on the VCT-14/tripod. But in reality it is very stable and surprisingly strong.

With my mount I have also included the "guide rails" not just the v wedge and that helps guide it onto the plate plus makes it much stronger. In fact I don't know why all the other designs only use the v wedge as it must be harder to put quickly onto a tripod I would think.

Evan
Evan Meades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #18
Major Player

Evan;

That looks nice. The aluminum welding looks pretty clean too. It seems people find aluminum welding to be a very impressive and feared skill, it sounds like you found a shop that isn't afraid to do it.

Is there any chance you can post the hole pattern dimensions & screw size for that quick release plate?

Thank you!
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 04:16 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Soltz View Post
all this does it give you a vct compatible mount it doesn't bypass the inherent weakness of the tripod support mount that it screws into...
Old November 17th, 2008, 04:20 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff DeMaagd View Post
Evan;

That looks nice. The aluminum welding looks pretty clean too. People seem to be afraid of welding aluminum, it sounds like you found a shop that isn't. It seems people find aluminum welding to be a very impressive skill.

Is there any chance you can post the hole pattern dimensions & screw size for that wedge quick release plate & guides, or is that something you had made for you?
Hi Jeff, thanks. Yes the workshop did a good job and of course, I could have have them polish it to a mirror finish but I'm planning to have mine powder coated, black.

I used my old Sony parts for the block/v wedge and just used that as a template for drilling and tapping the holes. I have ordered these parts new from Sony although there is a 2 week wait as they come from Singapore to Australia. You may be able to contact Sony in the US and get them straight away. Mine are around 75.00 AUD so pretty cheap and not really worth trying to make those parts I would think.

Jeff, if you go to the gallery I put on line,
My_Ex3_Mount
the 1st photo shown how the holes and the locating pin set up "before attaching the Sony plates. In my case, I attach my mounting plate to the camera by locating the "pin" and using a 1/4" short screw that attaches to the EX3's normal mounting then the Sony plates go over that, covering the 1/4" screw...hope that makes sense!

Evan
Old November 17th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
all this does it give you a vct compatible mount it doesn't bypass the inherent weakness of the tripod support mount that it screws into...
Yes, Phillip that's the problem as it's only relys on the 1/4" screw alone. Also just using those adapters to simply make using a VCT-14 quick release plate doesn't solve the problem if you want to quickly go to a shoulder mount position.

Evan
Old November 17th, 2008, 09:29 PM   #22
Major Player

My tripod support mount is connected to the VCT-U14 by both a 1/4" screw AND a 5/16 (or is it 3/8?) screw.
Old November 18th, 2008, 07:51 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Meades View Post
I used my old Sony parts for the block/v wedge and just used that as a template for drilling and tapping the holes. I have ordered these parts new from Sony although there is a 2 week wait as they come from Singapore to Australia. You may be able to contact Sony in the US and get them straight away. Mine are around 75.00 AUD so pretty cheap and not really worth trying to make those parts I would think.
I'm the one working with Ted on making our own version of the reinforcement plate / shoulder mount. I was hoping to get the hole pattern dimensions, should someone already have a similar plate, so they can just bolt it on. However, if you do have a part number for that plate, I would appreciate getting that.

Last edited by Jeff DeMaagd; November 18th, 2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old November 18th, 2008, 06:44 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
I'm the one working with Ted on making our own version of the reinforcement plate / shoulder mount. I was hoping to get the hole pattern dimensions, should someone already have a similar plate, so they can just bolt it on. However, if you do have a part number for that plate, I would appreciate getting that.
Hi Jeff, I ordered the whole assembly which is for a Sony DXC-537 but I'm sure they are similar for the 637 etc as they have the set up. The part no. was A.7612352E (which is the original camera plate, v wedge and screws to suit) kit.

Here's the exploded part diagram they sent me. (.pdf)

cheers Evan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf document2008-11-05-233756.pdf (1.20 MB, 2964 views)
Old November 18th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Hi Jeff, I ordered the whole assembly which is for a Sony DXC-537 but I'm sure they are similar for the 637 etc as they have the set up. The part no. was A.7612352E (which is the original camera plate, v wedge and screws to suit) kit.

cheers Evan
OK, thanks. It shows up here as being about US$120.
Old November 18th, 2008, 09:11 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Interesting in that the guides are separate pieces and not machined as an integral part of the Sony plate. So that means that guides could be machined and bolted directly to the custom aluminum base plate the same way as the wedge will be. These guides should provide extra stability to help minimize side wiggle.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 09:23 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Hi Barry, the "guides" are actually a hard nylon or plastic material not aluminium. I think this is so they wear and not the VCT-14 plate I would think.

I have a shot of that in my gallery I think. image 9844
My_Ex3_Mount

Evan
Old November 18th, 2008, 09:25 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
OK, thanks. It shows up here as being about US$120.
Gee, bit more than I am paying at around 70.00AUD including postage, although I haven't actually paid as they will let me know when it arrives from Singapore.

Evan
Old November 18th, 2008, 10:05 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Barry I got a local 4wd accessories workshop to bend & weld as they do it all the time for bull bars etc and have all the aluminium on hand so probably a bit cheaper that a hardware.
Evan, I've been to the metal shop today and picked up some 3/8" thick aluminium at $8.00/ft. Now that I take another look at your photos it looks like your using 1/4" thick which would be even easier to bend?
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 10:53 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Hi Barry, the workshop I got to bend it used 8mm (pretty close to 3/8th" I think). You may have trouble bending it yourself as they had a press for doing it. It did crack but easily fixed by a quick weld & grind! My design really only has the one bend and the rest was welded.

goodluck & post pics please!

cheers Evan

ps. shot a tvc with the camera yesterday (1st client job with the EX3) and all seemed to go well although I felt a bit funny using such a small camera! It was fun trying a few hand held shots with stabiliser of course!
Evan Meades is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds