EX-1 with Merlin or SteadiCam Pilot? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 25th, 2008, 07:38 PM   #31
Regular Crew

I wonder what shipping to North America would cost? Several hundred I'd assume.
Chad Hucal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 07:56 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sverker Hahn View Post
I have taken a lot of looong footage of nature with EX1 on a rigid tripod - exploring the possibilities of such a tecnique - but now exploring further with sloow panning and possibly moving the camera on a dolly or maybe a stabilizer like Merlin or Pilot.

I saw a demo video of Pilot or Flyer with the camera at the bottom, up-side-down. Have you tried that? Iīm thinking of close-to-ground shots showing the perspective of mouse or something, walking very, very slowly. I want to get the 3D-impression one gets with a dolly but not with panning with a tripod. You might check Pictures-Come-Alive! - Plants 4 - a 3D-effect might make even a scene with nothing moving quite interesting.
I don't want to push this OT but do a search for posts using the telescope motorized heads for video work. This looks like so much fun to program the moves into the thing and see what you get.
Old November 26th, 2008, 02:50 PM   #33
Major Player

I use the EX-1 on a pilot. I even add all the wheights that came with it.
Then the arm is close to itīs max payload, but works perfectly.
I have an EX-3 coming tomorrow, but I donīt think the pilot can handle it.
(The EX-1 is my friends(
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #34
Regular Crew

As far as the Indicam goes, I can attest to some good and, well, less-optimal things about the experience. First off, Terry is a top-notch guy who takes all of your questions himself and will spend as much time as you need talking to you about the equipment before -- and after -- you buy. Secondly, the arm and balance are very nice -- they fall short of Steadicam quality IMHO, but they do help you produce smooth shots on an EX1.

The problem for me was the backpack vest -- I couldn't make it comfortable no matter how I adjusted it. Terry insisted it was feasible to find a fit, but I couldn't. So I eventually returned my Indicam.

But, that right there is another huge positive for it -- Terry took my return and gave me a refund. That's pretty awesome for an expensive piece of gear.

Lots of folks seem to like the Indicam, so I would take a look at it. The vest didn't work for me, but the customer service can't be beat.
Marc Faletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 08:08 PM   #35
Regular Crew

The Indy Steadycam looks interesting, and the price is certainly right. Not exactly Steadicam results yet not a hand-held look either. Fully refundable within 30 days, which is the only way to go if you've no other way to try it out. I wonder how well it really works.
Bill Heslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #36
Trustee

I have attempted the EX1 with the merlin, Indicam Pilot (sold it) and Steadicam Pilot. I would agree that the steadicam Pilot is the best amongst all for the job even with extended batteries.

The Indicam Pilot is very good as well. As Marc remarked, I couldnt fit the backpack very well (indicam now has a vest option) so I sold it eventually. I'm not sure if the vest is better now but for the price and superb customer service from Terry, I would say it great for folks who are just starting out, more so that they have a 30day return policy for the lucky folks in the US.

The Merlin does have problems handling the EX1. I cant seem to balance it properly even with extra weights. I think the accessories plate is required to make it work.

Last edited by Sean Seah; November 27th, 2008 at 07:20 PM.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #37
Inner Circle

I'm not sure of forum on mentioning publications but EventDV December issue has an article on the Indicam Pilot. He explains that although the Indicam and Glidecam sleds look similar, there are significant differences to the Indicam's advantage. There's quite a bit of detail on the function of the device (ability to adjust).

He also comes to the conclusion that if you have the budget the Steadicam Pilot is best with Indicam Pilot being the affordable alternative. He also mentions Glidecam Smooth Shooter and Glidecam X-10 which, for various reasons, he didn't find competitive.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds