Using Warm Cards with your EX? - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 30th, 2009, 12:44 PM   #76
Major Player

Hey Perrone, I may be mis-reading your post, but I have the set of WarmCards and they aren't all just for "warm" tones. There's a neutral "white" card and also yellow cards that will cool a scene too to varying degrees, as well as some other colors to change up the look. I use mostly the white and warm cards for my style of shooting, but you could get an icy blue from these cards as well. You probably knew this but I just wanted to make it clear in case someone new might be thinking they're 'only' warming cards.

As for me, these cards are the best thing I invested in for the resulting look of my footage. In my opinion having pleasant warm tones does more to take out the 'video' look than anything else, including shooting 24p.
Buck Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #77
Inner Circle

Thanks for the update Buck. No, I did not know the warm card set included cool as well. I'm sure that's handy. Unlike most people, I tend to shoot a VERY flat image with my camera (akin to film) because I do most of my color in post. I realize that most people don't do that kind of workflow.

Maybe I'll do an A/B comparison of what a standard settting looks like (picture profile off) and my normal shooting profile.
Old November 30th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #78
Regular Crew

I purchased a set of warm cards a while ago and have been using them since Day 1 with the EX1. The only one I'll use in "normal" light is the 1/4 warm, the lightest blue card in the deck. Even then, it tends to really warm up the image on the EX1 such that I end up backing some of it back out in post. I'm not sure that's not a bi-product of the "red-heavy" EX1 that I've read about in these forums.

As of this point, I use the white-balance card with the Warm Card set almost exclusively as, like Perrone, I end up doing some amount of color correction in post anyway, and can add the warmth back in if I want it.
Ryan Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 11:49 PM   #79
Regular Crew

On projects I need to get out the door quickly with minimal post work, like weddings, I always balance on the 1/4 warm.

For anything else like commercials & music videos I use the white side of the Vortex cards.
Graham King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:11 AM   #80
Major Player

Ditto here too on the 1/4 Warm Card. There are times where I'll go higher (some indoor lighting situations requiring better skin tones), but with natural light (not a reference to beer) the 1/4 Warm is my go-to card. If I'm shooting a project with other cameras we'll usually balance on the 'white' card.
Buck Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 02:30 AM   #81
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Seventh, if you decide to use the WB Offset feature of the camera to warm-up the white balance 100% of the time , that doesn’t allow you much control on a shot-by-shot basis. And if you forget that WB Offset is activated, you may shoot video with a white balance you didn’t intend.

WarmCards aren’t for everyone, and the look can be achieved many different ways, but when you compare the cost, consistency, and time saved by using WarmCards, it is well worth the $90 investment.

If you want more information about WarmCards, there’s plenty more details on Vortex Media’s website.WarmCards - White Balance Reference System
Eighth, If you shoot underwater videography you can get the WarmCards wet (even in salt water!) and not have to worry about ruining them. Try that with a piece of paper or swatchbook.

For the matter, you can spill stuff/crud gets on the warm cards you just wipe them clean. Good times!
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 02:44 AM   #82
Regular Crew

They are very durable. Plus you can get the 1/4 warm by itself on B&H for $17. I don't use any of the other cards so it's perfect for me whenever I lose one.

They're only doing that because back in the day the kit only went down to 1/2 warm and when they came out with the 1/4, the people with the original set, like myself, wanted to upgrade. Point is, they may not do this forever so stock up!
Graham King is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds