EX3 BP-U60 bat vs AB Dionic 90 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 7th, 2008, 09:20 AM   #1
Inner Circle

EX3 BP-U60 bat vs AB Dionic 90

Preparing to sell my EX1 and move to EX3 in early Jan and am wondering about battery life and if it is worth keeping my Sony batteries.

Currently I use the Sony BP-U60 on the EX1 with decent battery life the stock BP-U30 is only used for testing and short sessions. I have purchased an Anton Bauer Dionic 90 to run my Flash XDR and wondered what the battery life is with the AB Dionic 90 compared to the BP-U60? Also the Dionic 160, which I know, is more but how much more.
Old December 7th, 2008, 09:52 AM   #2
Major Player

I haven't yet exhausted my 90 on a shoot, but then I don't shoot like a lot of people. I'll leave the camera on and shoot 50% of the time over maybe a three hour period a couple days in a row and that will usually wear it down pretty far.

I'd guess it is goog for a solid five to six hours.
Old December 7th, 2008, 09:54 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Ted I get about 3 - 4 hrs from the U60 depending on the operating temp.
Old December 7th, 2008, 09:31 PM   #4
Inner Circle

brand new Dionic 90s are around 400 from B&H-160s are about 950 so it's a big price difference. Granted almost 2x as much battery but the 90 weights in at 1.7 pounds and the 160 at 3.4 pounds. It can be a arm breaking difference.
I've use the 90s and Hytron 120s for a long time and frankly give me the 90s any day of the week. Just my opinion. You might also want to check to see if the battery mount on the EX3 will tolerate the added weight. May not seem like a lot but...

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 08:07 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks Don they do sell the adapter that goes into the battery compartment and holds the 90 then plugs to DC in. I have not heard if this is too heavy for the battery compartment on the camera.

As for weight I am not worried about the extra weight on my shoulder if I have the added hours.
Old December 8th, 2008, 09:24 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I'm sure the battery plate and the 90s would work as far as weight - the 160s might be too heavy for the mount of the camera. What I mean is that on a full size camera the mounting plate is firmly attached to the camera in a flat postision (vertical) and is not in any way mounted into a battery compartment. The AB mount covers the V mount and is screwed into the camera and it has a large surface contact plus it has a 'shelf' so to speak to reast on. When I was using the Hytron 120s they weighted in at 5.5 pounds so you needed a very solid mount. The Dionics are far less of course (1.7 pounds) and it hardly felt like a battery was even on the camera.
What I getting at is make sure the attachment point of the camera will take the weight, hate to have it break. BTW a 90 on a camera pulling 20W will go for about 4 hours without any other accessories. I used to run my receiver and AB light off of a 90 and it would go for about 2 to 2/12 hours depending on the amount I was using the light. That was and AB Ultralight with a 35W bulb. 4 90s would handle just about any job I had going.
Like I say, just check to make sure the area of the camera that the mounting plate attaches to will take the added weight of the 160.
Hope it works for you.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 09:43 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I use the Dionic 90 battery with the EX-3 Anton Bauer adapter. Itīs a nice set up, making me able to power my EX-3 AND Zylight Z90 camera light using only one battery. I havenīt done much handheld shooting with this set up, but the balance seems ok. I wouldnīt put on a heavier battery though. I find the Dionic battery much more practical to use than my Anton Bauer HyTrons, due to capacity. If you go to the Anton Bauer web site youīll find a calculator that will help you calculate the power usage for your particular camera or monitor.

Best,
-terje
Terje Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 10:22 AM   #8
Major Player

Wasn't there some talk awhile back regarding the Tekkeon MP-3450? Or would that battery not work for long?

Tekkeon | MP3450 myPower ALL Universal Rechargeable | MP3450

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 11:24 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Thanks Don I will keep an eye on the attachment point.

Terje that is the part I purchased with the AB Dionic 90 as a package to power my Flash XDR since it was a good package deal. Nice that this attachment has a D-Tap.

Looks like I will go AB and sell my U60's with my EX1 in a couple of weeks.
Old December 8th, 2008, 12:41 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I didnīt know about the adapter, Paul. Sorry for this. Yes, itīs a great solution. My only concern is that itīs sometimes easy for the adapter to slide out of EX3īs battery slot (ie when I go from handheld to tripod, or need to adjust the mattebox. I tend to forget that the battery is "loose". Iīve had at least TWO near accident happenings). I would prefer to keep at least ONE original battery. There are situation where you need to travel light or maybe shoot on the side (chroma keying). At least this is what Iīve experienced.

-terje
Terje Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 12:59 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Terje the adapter seems like it would be pretty solidly attached but I do not have experience with it in the field. It would be a bad day if it fell off.

Good point on the international travel small and light is always better so the two U60's could be worth keeping. Also used they will not bring in much cash towards the new gear.

Thanks guys for the input always appreciated.
Old December 8th, 2008, 01:12 PM   #12
Regular Crew

You are right. The adapter feels solid. Just remember to keep to camera upright! Or else youīll end up with just the power cable left in the camera... Knock on wood! :-)

-terje
Old December 8th, 2008, 01:56 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Yikes good advice I might strap that one on.
Old December 15th, 2008, 06:52 AM   #14
Trustee

Are you guys saying that this adaptor doesn't clip in properly and falls out easily?
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Might want to consider the Swit batt. Li-ion Battery S-8U62(for Sony PMW-EX1). $185, 63Wa and a D tap. I just received one and am testing it out on the EX1. It is a 1/2 inch longer than the BP U60.
Kevin Cates is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds