HD to SD Downconversion - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 22nd, 2008, 08:37 AM   #61
Trustee

As I have Apple Compressor in my arsenal of applications, I think this would be my best choice for testing. There's been a lot of tutorials about using it to make the best quality DVD's, but I don't remember any of them talking about quality scaling.

But your right Perrone, testing and more testing is the answer. Thanks guys! (I can't wait to get our new gear)
Old December 22nd, 2008, 10:50 AM   #62
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
For my money, Cineform is the most stable, both in quality and color rendition, followed by SHEER.

I have used Vegas, extensively in the past. Vegas seems to have a real bone with Quicktime. If using QT within vegas works for you, I'm, honestly, quite amazed.
You don't know how I wish my Cineform would work with the 64bit Vegas. But I have to drop EVERYTHING into 32 bit 8.0c to use it. 8.1 won't read or write to it.

I work in 32bit float in Vegas. I know most people won't because it's "slow". But I find that when I work in 32bit float, my colors, scopes, and everything else works the way I expect. When I take my project out to a different app like virtualdub, the 24bit colors stay true. And I can drop it right back into Vegas with the expected results. This is only for .AVI files mind you.

When I work with Quicktime in 32bit float, everything just works. My renders are on the money, colors are right, and I have no problems. But yes, there is a time penalty. So it comes down to whether you are in a hurry, or whether you want it right. In my case, accuracy is more important, so I do it this way. For someone trying to render video of their kids running around, it doesn't matter. When I have people on the hook for a couple grand, I want to give them the best quality I can.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 10:59 AM   #63

ahhh...IC thanx
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 11:16 AM   #64
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Follow the workflow I gave. Scale the video BEFORE bringing it into the NLE and you'll have no problems. This way, you can edit, grade, etc., on the SD version and deliver it.
I don't see any problems with editing in HD.
Also editing in SD is not a good idea if you want the highest quality.
Grading is destructive in many ways (quantization, smoothness of edges). Text-renders of NLEs often don't have highest quality anti-aliasing. So doing those things will always result in worse quality than the chosen editing-format could offer. So there's truly a advantage of having a HD-pixel-headroom (= super-sampling) while doing those things regarding the final SD-output-quality.
Dominik Seibold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 11:34 AM   #65
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominik Seibold View Post
So there's truly a advantage of having a HD-pixel-headroom (= super-sampling) while doing those things regarding the final SD-output-quality.
And as mentioned, those advantages are often lost when scaling down AFTER graphics have been added. Cutting in SD has nothing to do with rendering. So cut, grade, etc. in SD sizes (use an uncompressed codec) and before rendering, do a media replacement. I've talked about that here a number of times. It's so simple and the quality is just the same as if you did all the work on HD in the first place.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 11:39 AM   #66
Major Player

Quote:
, those advantages are often lost when scaling down AFTER graphics have been added.
Could you explain?

You've said to do video-replacement ONLY if you need HD-output:
Quote:
And should you need an HD version later, you can simply do a "replace video" from the timeline(...)
which differs from saying to do video-replacement ALWAYS before rendering:
Quote:
So cut, grade, etc. in SD sizes (use an uncompressed codec) and before rendering, do a media replacement.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 12:03 PM   #67
Inner Circle

Quote:
Could you explain?
Yes, as Mitchell noted, when working with HD footage, and laying in text and titles and rendering to HD things look great. Taking that and rescaling it down to SD causes issues with aliasing and so forth. Or at least it can.

Quote:
You've said to do video-replacement ONLY if you need HD-output:
In this thread that's true. However, I've not found it necessary to media replace if simply delivering an SD. If someone else does, then the option is always available.

Quote:
which differs from saying to do video-replacement ALWAYS before rendering:
True.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 12:23 PM   #68
Major Player

Quote:
Yes, as Mitchell noted, when working with HD footage, and laying in text and titles and rendering to HD things look great. Taking that and rescaling it down to SD causes issues with aliasing and so forth. Or at least it can.
Great aliasing-free rescalers are available even as free software. Why not use them?
Old December 22nd, 2008, 12:25 PM   #69
Inner Circle

There are lots of ways to get it done. You pay your money, and you take your choice! :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds