Next gen format memory card SDXC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 7th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Next gen format memory card SDXC

Has anyone seen this, SDXC is a next-generation memory card format, with up to 2 terabytes storage capacity and read/write speeds of 300 megabytes per second.
Probably very, very expensive

Read it hear:
SDXC Memory Cards - PhotographyBLOG

The first batch of retail cards will hit before March.

SDXC memory cards promise 2TB of storage, 300MBps transfer - Engadget
Joe Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #2
Major Player

Could be a GREAT storage medium, though!
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #3
Major Player

The problem I have with it is that the fact that SDHC "tops out" at 32GB is a policy decision and not any actual addressing limitation with the card. SDHC can actually handle up to 2TB if it weren't for that. It's good that they have faster standard now.
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 08:53 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Of course with Sony's USB ceiling the speed of the card won't do EX users any good although you might be able to shoot a documentary with one card.

We'll just have to wait until Ross gets a PCIe Express Card adaptor.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #5
Major Player

It looks like the specs for the card won't be out until March. That probably means the consumer product is a ways away.

"Specifications for the open standard will be released in the first quarter of 2009"
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 09:44 PM   #6
Major Player

I hope it is true but given the development of digital storage over the past few decades, I find it difficult to swallow that we can easily get up to 2 terrabytes of storage on an SD card within a couple of years. It's only becoming commplace for hard drives to get up to 1 terrabyte at a consumer price point and that really only became possible as a result of perpendicular data storage on disks. This was only introduced into the marketplace a few years ago as far as I recall.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 08:35 AM   #7

Maybe this is the card the Product Marketing Manager from SanDisk was referring to a few months back. Although we were discussing a WORM card at the time.

As was mentioned, this would make for great storage!
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 09:41 AM   #8
Major Player

well if they roll it out with 64gig (to start) or whatever it will stilll be awesome.... am I reading this right it would work in normal SDHC slots? So our adapter for the EX would work?
Old June 6th, 2010, 11:29 PM   #9
Major Player

Anyone tried this?

Anyone used the Sandisk 64GB SDXC card with a Kensington adapter for an EX3 with any luck?
Larry Huntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 05:14 AM   #10
Major Player

After reading all the user reports of the various SDHC cards here for some time it seems that the 32 GB cards in general are not as reliable as the 8GB and 16GB cards in these cameras.

Makes me wonder if an even higher capacity for an even higher price would work any better?

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds