Ok to leave Wide Conversion on? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 9th, 2009, 02:08 PM   #1
New Boot

Ok to leave Wide Conversion on?

Would someone care to explain what magic the wide conversion setting is having on this camera? I am using both the Century Optics fisheye and wide angle. Am I safe simply leaving the wide angle conversion setting to on?

Thanks in advance to every one who contributes to this awesome forum!

Keith
Keith Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:16 PM   #2

I would guess it affects the way the back focus is set on the lens.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I thought it affected the image stabilizer setting. I think I also read somewhere it *might* also have some affect on CA correction.
John Hedgecoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 02:00 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I believe this setting is only to be use with Sony's own wide-angle-adapter. It has been adjusted to mathematically correct the CA that the Sony's lens causes. I doubt it does that with any other... since it is pre-calculated parameter it might harm the image under other conditions.
Tuomas Sebastien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 06:34 AM   #5
New Boot

I can't see any CA correction in the image, when using the Sony WA. The back focus idea sounds plausible... In which case prob best to leave it on with any WA adaptor attached.. 2c
Patrick Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 07:14 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Anderson View Post
Would someone care to explain what magic the wide conversion setting is having on this camera? I am using both the Century Optics fisheye and wide angle. Am I safe simply leaving the wide angle conversion setting to on?

Keith

OIS. WA has different compensation than regular lens.

It would be pretty useless if it was for CA for all the people who use non-Sony WA.
Max Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 07:45 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Allen View Post
OIS. WA has different compensation than regular lens.
Exactly. My Sony PDX-10 also had this same setting, so does the HVR-Z1. It's a little more clear what it does there however, because it's an option on the Steadyshot menu.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 11:18 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi Keith,

We did a long 20 something day shoot a few months back with the EX3 hot off the press, or at least, hot in our hands.

AS part of the package I bought a Century Optics wide angle lens. I also bought an ST-7 shoulder mount.

Even with the shoulder mount and Sony batts on back, it was still front heavy with the wide angle. But that wasn't what you asked (though I had to add it in!). We left the wide angle lens on for the first day and into the beginning of the second under pretty harsh conditions. What I found on review was that there was significant barrel distortion... - notice I didn't just scream :)

My point is, at the end of the day, if you're adding glass and you're thinkin about leavin it on (at least the Century), then you either need to test it thoroughly or chuck it and buy a proper wide anlge... IMHO :) I say this becaue I've seen singnificant barrel distortion. not sure if others see it in this config but me keep to know.

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Anderson View Post

Keith
Old July 11th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #9
Wrangler

Which Century Optics wide lens did you use? Curious because there seems to be a lot of confusion on this topic if you look at other threads. Was it the 0.75x? .75X W/A HD CONVERTER EX1/EX3 - Schneider Optics

If you read back through this forum, the 0.75x lens was pulled last year and has since been replaced with a new version.

Or was it the 0.6x lens? .6X WIDE ANGLE HD ADP EX1/EX3 - Schneider Optics. That sure looks like the same adaptor I have for my z1 (with a different mount), and it has pretty severe barrel distortion and is also rather soft. I still like using it for effect from time to time, but not a lens I would leave on the whole time certainly!
Attached Thumbnails
Ok to leave Wide Conversion on?-wide.jpg   Ok to leave Wide Conversion on?-wide-6x.jpg  

Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 02:07 PM   #10
Trustee

I don't think it would affect backfocus at all, but it will undoubtedly compromise your lens performance and that's something you should be able to test easily by shooting the same size shot with and without the adapter. Whether the compromise is worth the convenience will be up to you.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds